Oztent

vantexan

You might be familiar with these already. If not, I think this is the best tent on the market to back a vehicle up to. It should work pretty well with a FWC considering the door size. And you could really light it up with the floodlights on the back!

http://us.oztent.com/

I'm planning to use the arched side panels on the awning to create an extra large tent. The teardrop trailer will go completely inside, tongue first, allowing the kitchen hatch to be raised under the peaked awning panels. Will give me a place to sit and stand out of the weather. The FWC will provide great storage, extra propane, extra batteries and solar, a 22 gallon water tank. It'll be comparable to a fairly large travel trailer but pack down to a compact travel package.

I've been following Oztents in Australia since the late 90's. They're very popular there and have a great reputation for quality and durability. They haven't been in the States that long but I hope they catch on.

I've become a big fan of the OzTent's also. I first read about them in the Australian 4wd monthly mag years ago and recently I've gotten an upclose look at one. I'm very impressed with the design and quality of construction.

Now the 30 second set up time is true... sorta. If you add on the front room, set up the fly, stake down the rain fly, etc. you're in for a few minutes of labor but not too bad. When packed up, they run about 6.5' long. That can be a challenge to store in transit but a few owners I know have managed to make it work, usually with the tent stored on the roof.

In addition to our FWC, we have used a Columbus roof top tent from Autohome on our Landcruiser on occasion. That thing was slick, set up in like 3 seconds, literally, and it was lightweight & comfortable. But it only provided a place to sleep and that was it. When the wind & rain came, we were stuck in a space not much bigger than the forts we built as kids with couch pillows and kitchen chairs.... A great product but definitely has some limitations.

On a recent trip with friends, one of the grumpiest, hardest to please pals I have brought an Oztent with his SWB Jeep Wrangler for a few days in the Kofa NWR in AZ. I was so impressed with it and the interior room that I'm now saving my pennies for one too. He was able to have one area set up for sleeping, plus a private corner with his PETT toilet and a table with a small cook stove - all out of the wind & dust we experienced. He's hard to please but he was pleased with the tent's performance. I feel confident the Oztent will be a great addition to our Landcruiser that we take on the occasional overnighter.

Color me sold!

804229554_Wzgsa-O.jpg

When I bought my Hawk back in 2008, it came equiped with a Fiamma awning. I also purchased a Fiamma "Privacy Room" for those times when you need more room. If I had known about these Oz tents....I may have gone that way instead. They look real nice. They are about the same price.

http://www.fiamma.it/products/fiammastor.asp?Fam=F04

Attachments

• fiamma.jpg
    fiamma.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 129
Back
Top Bottom