Payload Question

Voyageur

I have some question about payload. I make a trip for 6 months by the U.S. and going to buy me a truck and a camper (may be FWC Grandby). I would like to buy a Dodge 2500 diesel. Now I've seen that the 2003 long bed quad cap only have about 2050lbs payload. If I add up my entire luggage (include canoe) and the camper weight, include liquids that are about 2300lbs. Can that be a problem? Do I need airbags or reinforced suspension, or is it better to buy a Dodge gasoline with a payload of 2500lbs or a Ford 250 gasoline with 2700 lbs payload? I want to travel safely in every situation and i would like to stay secluded campsites.
Does anyone know what camper special package includes. I saw a Dodge with camper special package.
Sorry for my bad English.

I don't think being 250 pounds overweight is a big deal. Most of us here do it. Cort rolls at about 2,500 pounds overweight and he's still alive to tell the tale.

I run airbags on my 250. Not essential but they do level the truck out and reduce suspension roll when cornering or on rough terrain.

I don't think being 250 pounds overweight is a big deal. Most of us here do it. Cort rolls at about 2,500 pounds overweight and he's still alive to tell the tale.

I run airbags on my 250. Not essential but they do level the truck out and reduce suspension roll when cornering or on rough terrain.

....yes but your carrying a few hundred pounds of pink flamingoes

Like I have stated before I am only at GVW or maybe a tad over for the first day. Typically, during the first night you drink most of my beer, which puts me back in the envelope

:cool:

Cort

I had a 01 Dodge quad cab diesel with 1800# payload. I carried a hard sided Caribou with a dry weight of 2500#. And towed a big fiberglass boat. No suspension mods were needed. Handled fine.

As you said, the gas engines will have more payload. For the amount of weight you are talking about any of the 250/2500 series truck with gas engines would move your rig just fine. And a gasser would be much easier to find. The years you are looking at in diesels are pre smog and command a hefty price.

Good Luck. :)

Ich habe einem Dodge 2500 diesel. Ich kann sage das Du wirst kein problem haben mit diesem 2003 Dodge. Mit dem Dodge, als die anderen, wirst Du fiel weniger Kraftstoff brauchen. Einem Dodge 2500 ist wirklich stark.

I agree with what generubin said. I have a 2005 Dodge diesel 2500 4X4 with a Granby. I've had no problems with the weight. You should be fine with what you are proposing. Good luck and hope to see you on the road.

mike

Mine is the short bed but I would have no hesitation doing what you're planning. Should ride fine.

Drove all the way from Sacto to AZ with a loaded Cougar on my Ram short bed towing a Bobcat with no problems.

Thanks you all together for the answers. If the pay load is not a problem, I hope to find a Dodge. Perhaps is more expensive at the beginning, but it is often worthwhile itself on the length, and I like strong quality. Special thanks at generuby for the German words. I would be pleased members of WTW on the way to meet.

Back
Top Bottom