Perfect mate for a fwc?

CJ8Rockcrawler

My wife and I have been discussing getting a FWC for our Dodge. Yesterday we went up and spoke w/ Tom at the Phoenix Sportsmen's Expo and it really got us talking about it. (Thanks again Tom for all your time and showing us the cool FWCs!)

So in the conversation with Alice on the way home, she brought up the point of if we are going to be getting this camper and using it for long trips etc. It would be nice for her to be able to drive the truck as well. So.... the 6spd manual may have to go. Which believe it or not, I'm okay with... why not... I get a new truck AND a new camper then! :thumb:

My immediate considerations are a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel w/ the automatic instead of the manual that I currently have or a Tundra with an Auto. Next question is shortbed or longbed if we're getting a new truck anyway. New or used is up for debate, but it needs to be reliable with low miles since it will be both the expedition vehicle as well as Alice's daily driver. It also needs to be able to handle hauling the FWC AND tow a trailer w/ the Jeep on it for those Moab trips etc.

So, with that background, my question to all of you. Knowing that we are looking for a fullsize truck to use w/ a FWC, what vehicle would you go with?

Thanks in advance for all your insight.

Kyle

I would go with a long bed Dodge diesel quad cab. Personally I would get a 2007 or older with the 5.9 l Cummins. You don't get the new automatic but you get a strong automatic coupled with the 5.9 that gets better mileage than the new 6.7. The new Chevys are nice and have a great interior but don't look for any dealer to be willing to deal at all. You will be able to get a great deal on the Dodge and will have a legitimate 400,000 mile motor. Look to have to replace any light truck automatic trans between 100,000-200,000 miles. The long bed will give you more space in the camper.

I have the heavy Megacab shortbed and still am able to get 20 mpg on the freeway at 65.

Oops just saw you already have a mighty Cummins so you already know.

Drakeslayer,

How far off the beaten path do you take your Megacab? I'm somewhat concerned about the longer wheelbase as things tend to get pretty tight with my shortbed quadcab. Am I being overly concerned about the breakover and departure angles of the longer wheelbase? The truck still needs to be fairly capable as it may need to go in somewhere to recover the Jeep on occasion.

I'll go along with the long bed, but I never take my truck where the jeep goes. The only people who complain about the dodge automatic not holding up are the ones who two really heavy (jeep and trailer don't count as heavy).

And I'm thinking your wife might appreciate the slightly larger camper you can fit on the long bed. All depends on how much you're going to wheel it. Mine sees a fair amount of offroad use, but I'm pretty conservative on what I do. Like I said, I have a jeep for the rough stuff.

I think Drakeslayer is right on about most automatic transmissions .... especially Dodge. My 2000 Ram 1500 tranny gave up the ship on a 1/4 mile drive to work one day without even so much as a hickup to indicate there might be some trouble (at 79,000) miles. $2,200 dollars later and while on a test drive with on of the techs I got an earful about how Dodge keeps them in business and how one of the fixes Dodge uses for a sealing problem and tranny fluid leaking from the converter was to install a sort of check valve (steel ball) in one of the lines that he tells me begins to gum up and not allow full fluid flow after about 75,000 miles and then creates an overheating problem. I was informed that I "DID NOT" have this check valve installed in my overhauled transmission. Kinna makes me wish I had a standard but now that mine has been overhauled without the check valve I feel pretty good about its new life expectancy. Just my two bits.

Lear "ALL" the rules then break "SOME"

Kyle I'm prejudiced because I own one. But I'd go with the Dodge CTD. I looked at the big cab and opted for the smaller quad cab. The Mega cab is just to big for my liking. Since lI bought my FWC used I took what was available and got a Hawk. If I were buying new I'd get the long bed model but I'd still put it on the short (6.5) bed. And I'll never own another standard transmission. Just my 200 pesos worth.

OK maybe this is a stupid question,
Unless you want a long bed why get a new truck?

We keep the FWC on our half ton as a semi daily driver for my wife, TDI jetta commuter. She usually ride her bike to work, 10 miles each way.

I you do upgrade what do you want for the Dodge:rolleyes:

OK maybe this is a stupid question,
Unless you want a long bed why get a new truck?

We keep the FWC on our half ton as a semi daily driver for my wife, TDI jetta commuter. She usually ride her bike to work, 10 miles each way.

I you do upgrade what do you want for the Dodge:rolleyes:

There we go... I just need to tell my wife to ride her bike to work everyday! I knew I'd find the answer here! :) lol... I don't think that would fly when it starts pushing 110 degrees here.

The biggest reason for a new truck is to get an automatic so she can drive it as well. Otherwise, I don't really see any reason to get a new truck. I have owned my Dodge since new and it only has 50k on it. It is far from retirement in my mind.

We are going to go test drive a few fullsize trucks with automatics this weekend to see if she is comfortable driving one. If that goes well, we will have to work on the longbed/shortbed and quadcab(doublecab)/megacab(crewmax) debate.

Thanks for all the input... keep it coming.

Kyle

P.S. chnlisle, you can just sell me your truck/camper and upgrade to the larger camper you've always wanted! :) I'm just across town... I'll even come pick it up!

On the reliability rankings, I'm actually interested to see that the Dodge is rated higher than the Tundra. I think either vehicle is still a solid platform to go with. chnlisle, if I remember correctly from other reading that I've done on the forum, you came from a Tundra to your Dodge. Any comparisons that you can share?

FWC mate V. FWC Mate

Copy that,
Don't want any marital discontent. Don't want to lose one perfect FWC mate over the other.:thumb:

Attachments

• DSCN0726.jpg
    DSCN0726.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 315
On the reliability rankings, I'm actually interested to see that the Dodge is rated higher than the Tundra.

You saw that too, eh?

:eek:

Would it not be easier to teach your other half to drive a manual trany and save a lot of dough.

Would it not be easier to teach your other half to drive a manual trany and save a lot of dough.

Careful Star I already stirred that pot a bit:D

The first rule of teaching someone a new skill is that they must have the desire to learn that skill...

that and I think the cost of getting a new truck is cheaper than the cost of a divorce! :D

Well said amigo,
The trips are better when all parties are happy and able to drive.
A moment of silence for the dying art of driving a stick.:(

My Two Cents Worth

The auto trans. in my Ford puked at 32000 mi. I expected around 80000 mi. if you go the auto route you can probably expect service some where in that range especially if you tow heavy. So when its time for the rebuild, find someone who understands the weak points of the gear box, torq. convertor,valving,cheap stamped parts etc. Real good strong autos can be built for not all that much more than what you are going to pay at the dealer no matter what make, or even god forbid Aamco. A heavy duty truck with a short bed makes no sence to me. SLURP FISH

Crispy Transmissions

After I made the above post, I took a look a the new issue of Diesel Power mag. there is a good article about weakness and strengths of the big 3's gear boxes, you might want to take a look if your interested. GONE FISHIN

After I made the above post, I took a look a the new issue of Diesel Power mag. there is a good article about weakness and strengths of the big 3's gear boxes, you might want to take a look if your interested. GONE FISHIN

Thanks for the heads up... I'll have to take a look.

Rocky,
I had what appears to be a very popular truck both on this forum and in our mutual home town. A '95 T100. My biggest complaint was the awful milage and lack of power I had when the FWC was on it. I decided that if all I can get is 12 to 15 mpg I might as well buy a real truck (no offense intended guys).

After 35 years in the school bus biz I really didnt want to shift anymore. My wife really wanted me to buy a stick but I went with the autotranny. I prefer it in tough situations while in 4x4.

I have owned a number of vehicles in my 65+ years and I think this Ram CTD is absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned. My fuel milage is very good. The power is exceptional. When it all drys up you can buy peanut oil at Costco to run it on and it prices out pretty close to a Tundra as far as I can tell. I paid 30K for mine in Lompoc. I dont have all the whistles and bells (power windows, seats, door locks) and everthing most guys get but I dont miss them. My T100 was bare bones as well. And remember the diesel is a 5k extra.

Back
Top Bottom