Personal FWC Tour?

Molden

Hey there!

I'm in the market to make my 1st FWC purchase soon. I've got a double cab 4WD 06 Tundra and looking at pretty much ALL FWCs that might fit that truck from an Eagle to a Grandby. My highest priorities are in the Kestrel and Fleet at this moment. Price range can afford years 2000-2007 campers.

I'm curious if you have this setup or a very similar setup in my area, would you mind showing me your camper/truck and sharing your pro and cons about it.

I'm based in Nevada City,CA but travel to Truckee very often and willing to travel to Auburn, Reno and maybe Sacramento (depending on rush hour times) to get some insight.

Thanks future FWC friends!

Molden said:
Hey there!

I'm in the market to make my 1st FWC purchase soon. I've got a double cab 4WD 06 Tundra and looking at pretty much ALL FWCs that might fit that truck from an Eagle to a Grandby. My highest priorities are in the Kestrel and Fleet at this moment. Price range can afford years 2000-2007 campers.

I'm curious if you have this setup or a very similar setup in my area, would you mind showing me your camper/truck and sharing your pro and cons about it.

I'm based in Nevada City,CA but travel to Truckee very often and willing to travel to Auburn, Reno and maybe Sacramento (depending on rush hour times) to get some insight.

Thanks future FWC friends!
Take a look at the ATC campers as well, their factory is on the north side of Sacramento. In addition to building what I believe to be the strongest popup camper, they're willing to do custom work, as well as repair older FWC campers. They're a smaller company, so when you call, you're usually talking to Marty or Jeff, the owners.

Don't put a Grandby on your truck. Way too much weight to the rear of the back wheels. Stick to the short bed models and you'll be much safer.

Hey thanks @Wandering Sagebrush! That's good to hear about the ATC quality & durability. Just opens that many more doors! I'll give them a call and see what used ATCs would be a good fit my setup. As far as repairs go...within a certain level, I really like to do things myself and understand how to care for it better in the long run.

Espresso said:
Don't put a Grandby on your truck. Way too much weight to the rear of the back wheels. Stick to the short bed models and you'll be much safer.
I've heard mixed reviews here...stick to campers that fit my bed, but also a Grandby shell could be lighter weight than a fully loaded hawk or shorter camper and in that case should be considered? Thoughts?

Molden said:
Thoughts?
I wouldn't do it.

Your camper would be your rear bumper.
Is your truck bed the mini 5 or so footer? In any case the center of gravity would be behind your rear tires...a problem especially on a 1/2 ton truck.
A Grandby shell would be a rare find in any case.
Lastly it would look weird. :)

The Hawk Model is going to be the best fit, if you have an 06' Double Cab Tundra (4 full door).

(I have the same truck, but mine is the 2004 Double Cab Tundra).

You will need to find a Hawk Model built in 2002, or newer.

The Older Hawk Models will be too wide to fit.

http://www.fourwh.com/used-camper-fit-guide/used-four-wheel-campers-general-fit-guide/

The Eagle Model will be a bit small, as well as the Fleet.

The Kestrel will work, but you will need to put a 3" platform under it for proper fit on a Double Cab like yours.

I agree with others posting above. It is less than ideal to have a Grandby Model on there, although I have seen customers do it.

We have the FWC factory & showroom here in Woodland if you ever want to stop by.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping!

Stan@FourWheel said:
The Hawk Model is going to be the best fit, if you have an 06' Double Cab Tundra (4 full door).

(I have the same truck, but mine is the 2004 Double Cab Tundra).

You will need to find a Hawk Model built in 2002, or newer.

The Older Hawk Models will be too wide to fit.

http://www.fourwh.com/used-camper-fit-guide/used-four-wheel-campers-general-fit-guide/

The Eagle Model will be a bit small, as well as the Fleet.

The Kestrel will work, but you will need to put a 3" platform under it for proper fit on a Double Cab like yours.

I agree with others posting above. It is less than ideal to have a Grandby Model on there, although I have seen customers do it.

We have the FWC factory & showroom here in Woodland if you ever want to stop by.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping!
Hey Stan,

Big thanks for the expert opinion!

The overall ride of my truck (via highway & off-road) is important to me, so it sounds like the Grandby should at least be eliminated for that and a few other reasons. I've got the Firestone Ride Rite bags being install this weekend.

Regarding the Eagle and Fleet, I understand these models will be a bit more narrow in the truck bed, but when you say "small" do you mean cubic feet inside the camper or will need a platform as well? Is there an easy way to look up FWC by year and model to see stock dimensions?

Does adding a platform decrease quality of ride on highway or rough terrain from being top heavy?

Can't thank you guys enough for your words of advice!

Do the trip to FWC and ATC to look at the models. Lots of ways to set your camper up. I would say you would be happiest with a Hawk size. I have a 2005 Tundra AC and a 2013 Hawk. Check out my Trip Blog and Camper Build in my signature line.

The trick to configuring a Grandby on a 1/2-ton (shell model only) is to always keep heavy items forward of the rear axle wherever possible to maintain the best possible COG characteristics. We've done this successfully now for 6 years and 50K miles of WTW-ing, and we mostly subscribe to the light-is-right principle. And while it's true that the Grandby's 16" rear overhang is the truck's de facto bumper, it's not really a game-ender. For instance, the stabilizer scissor jacks, suspended with bungees, are stored under the overhang while traveling, much less camper dirt/grime that way. Also my mtn. bike traveling-support mounts are attached off the lower edge of the overhang, works very well in my particular config. And we had room for a porta-potty with the extra length a Grandby affords, a great add-on imho. A set of helper springs and E load range LT tires, and we were quite good to go. Good luck in your camper search, Molden!
Rico

It has most likely been mentioned but if you find a used camper make sure the depth of the camper will fit your deeper truck bed.
Or you will find yourself placing the camper on a 3" or so platform to clear the bed rails.
I have a ATC Bobcat that I carry on my 02 Tundra AC cab and like the way it doesn't stick out past the side of the truck.
Depending on your physical size,it's the width of the floor base that is one of the main differences from Eagle/Fleet/Bobcat and wider Hawk/Ocelot models.
Ask lots of questions.
We really have had a great experience with Marty/Jeff at ATC.
Both company's make great campers,but due to the smaller size of ATC they can do more customizing for you IMO.
Good luck in your search.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom