Petroglyphs, lava, and steam trains UP844

Barko1

The last made steam locomotive, Union Pacific 844, was coming near and while I don't know much about big old trains it sounded cool. To get closer to where the train would be, and to enjoy a night camping, my daughter and I and the 3 dogs headed towards the Three River Petrogylph site 30+ miles North of Alamogordo NM. 8 miles further up the road and against the Sacramento Mtns is a nice FS campground. The campsites are @6800' and look up towards Sierra Blanca at 12000'
P1040167-M.jpg

Nice campsite with great views in all directions
P1040182-M.jpg

Great sunset as well
P1040249-M.jpg

P1040191-M.jpg

We were perched on the edge of the hill and at the base of the peaks and the forecast was for high winds so after the sunset I backed up 75 yards to the next campsite. Got blustery later but never got really strong until later in the morning, never even turned on the heat. Next day headed to Valley of Fires BLM recreation area a few miles West of Carrizozo and explored the young lava field, in a nasty driven rain and 45 degrees. But that was just spending some time while waiting for UP to show up from Wyoming. She was late but finally made an appearance
P1040297-M.jpg

P1040373-M.jpg

P1040335-M.jpg

P1040367-M.jpg

P1040323-M.jpg

P1040336-M.jpg

P1040392-M.jpg

Cool machine :) Next she heads to El Paso and then through AZ, NV, UT, and back home to WY.

Ah steam.I have seen UP844 some years ago,she is one beautiful piece of iron.Nice camping spot also.It's nice that the UP takes the engine out on trips.I am a steam nut and enjoy looking more than riding.Thanks for the photos.

Frank

Nice pics, Barko. Enjoyed 'em.

There is a trailhead at Three Rivers FS campground that gives access to the White Mountain Wilderness, too. I like that campground a lot for its views and wilderness access.

Did you shoot the pics of the engine in Carrizozo? I never heard anything about it passing through the area. That's what I get for not keeping up with the local news. Glad you were able to see it.

Nice pics, Barko. Enjoyed 'em.

There is a trailhead at Three Rivers FS campground that gives access to the White Mountain Wilderness, too. I like that campground a lot for its views and wilderness access.

Did you shoot the pics of the engine in Carrizozo? I never heard anything about it passing through the area. That's what I get for not keeping up with the local news. Glad you were able to see it.

First shots were from the 380 overpass in Carrizozo, then as it left time, along the way, and finally from the overpass just North of Tularosa. I didn't see anything locally either, my brother from Indiana said it was coming this way. In Alamo all dy Sunday for viewing then on the EP. Had some frozen white pellets while waiting for it.

I had been to that trailhead years ago but never realized the great views, campsite #8 :) The Valley of Fires CG was about full, nice but big RV's.

I checked the schedule for Engine 844 and see it will be visiting the Kelso Station in Mojave Preserve on the morning Sunday, November 20. I can't make it but it would be a great opportunity for those of you that can.

I checked the schedule for Engine 844 and see it will be visiting the Kelso Station in Mojave Preserve on the morning Sunday, November 20. I can't make it but it would be a great opportunity for those of you that can.

hummmm..................

hummmm..................

Ski have you been to Mojave preserve? I want to take a one last trip this year and that might be nice place to visit warm at least,no snow.Would like to see 844 it's been since the rail fair in Sacto years ago.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom