Phase 2

Beautiful setup! Congrats on the new camper. Love the truck too! I rented a new f150 last week to try it out and it was pretty nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

P6280061-1024.jpg

Welcome to the club Tim from your truck/camper's cousin.

RE: suspension Q: Stock truck here except for Timbrens to level the truck, and LT275/75/R18E tires. 2,000lb payload version. Curious what route Tim has or will take.

CarlG said:
Looks great! Got a shakedown trip planned?
I was going to drive to Chicago for the 4th but had to use all my leave time for a injury last February. Yellowstone planned for September but obviously that way too long to wait. I'll let you know.

billharr said:
Congrats, you may hold the record for the longest time waiting to buy one. You will love it.

Bill
I think the record is actually 20 years. Just to clarify, I was waiting until I retired. That was planned for three years ago. Still working and told her - well never mind what I said.

Thanks to all for the congratulations. I know you are anxious for reports, and pictures, and so am I. I have been at work since the day after I picked it up and am working the 4th as well. Then its off to Chicago for a few days. That said I haven't had much time with the rig.

The day I brought her home I will admit to heating up a hotdog in the house and eating it while seated at the dinette parked in the driveway.

So far - I love it. Just need some field testing.

I did get the Batwing awning and it is impressive.

No addition to the suspension other than what I ordered from the factory. Need to put more than the 130 miles I have on her so far before I decide if it is adequate.

I'm curious to know what you think of the 2.7L engine in relation to the weight of the camper. What's your first impression, is it enough engine, or its it still too early to say.

Still too early to say since I was out of town this week (without it). I think it will be just fine. More to come soon.

I know folks are anxious to get some feed back, and I'm anxious to be able to provide it, but I have only driven it to work twice since I got it.

I'm sure Tim will chime in with his impressions, but I'll offer up my quick review of the 2.7 EcoBoost in my 2015 F150.

Been driving the truck for about 10 months, and got a Hawk camper in May. So far I've been very happy with the engine. With no camper or load, it's pretty peppy while sipping gas at about 22 to 23 mpg for combined town and interstate driving. It will jump when I push it, and I've never felt any lag due to turbo spin-up.

This past weekend I had the camper in the southwest Virginia mountains and got 17 mpg with a fully loaded camper. I didn't drive aggressively but felt like I had plenty of power to spare going up the hills.

There have been a lot of reports on the F150 forums of shuddering during acceleration due to ingestion of water that condenses in the intercooler. Apparently this tends to happen in humid environments. It's pretty humid where I live, but I haven't experienced it yet.

While I'm impressed and happy now, it'll be interesting to see how reliability shakes out long term. Also, I'll be curious to see how durable the epoxy used to fasten the aluminum body parts will be.

- Rusty

Just trying to find some time to use the camper to be able and evaluate. I have been working 96-120 hour weeks since getting the camper.

I am currently in Yellowstone and am doing some testing. It will be my first long highway trip (about 2200 miles) with the camper in order to give some substance to a review.

I am planning on posting here and a longer blog post when I have some time.

Back
Top Bottom