Phew

craig333

Riley's Human
On the way to the dog park I got rear ended. Felt pretty violent so when I hopped out I was fearing the worst. A slight bit of damage to my fuel carrier (which shattered his windshield) and my bumper protected the rest.

My trailer hitch wasn't kind to his truck.

Now I'm just waiting for the insurance to call and hoping there is no hidden damage. Sure happy the camper wasn't damaged.

Furniture delivery truck, driver was apologetic as he took blame and we shared info.

Good reason to keep your ball mount installed as it transfers the load directly to the frame rather than through a lot of sheet metal first. But get the hitch mount bolts inspected for any shear damage where they attach to the frame. Would not want your boat to take a path separate from the truck.

Paul

Yes, and go see a doctor as well. You just never know when an un-diagnosed injury will start to show up in physical limitations. Don't go hunting for cash, just take care of your body.

Plus, have your frame rails checked too.

Back when I had my old F-250, coming up to a stop light there was a pretty girl on the left sidewalk, and the guy in the BMW behind me looked long and hard. Thus he rear ended me. My old F-250 wasn't overly tall, however, my receiver hitch went through his nice BMW logo on the hood, crumpled the rest of the hood, through the top of his radiator, and took off the head assembly of his engine and placed it in his cabin, along with a fractured windshield. His $3,500 in dash stereo/gps/computer thingy was toast as well.

I got to replace my painted rear step bumper with a chrome one, got a new receiver hitch, and an inspection of my frame rails, which were OK.

The soft and squishy parts of the BMW prevented injury to my neck and back according my doctor.
The BMW driver was OK as well, he had air bags.
I didn't have air bags, the old F-250 was just too old, I did see him coming and braced myself, held the brake on very tight and the old F-250 didn't even move, no skid marks from my tires.

Yep - got rear ended last year with the step receiver hitch on our Tundra. Did a pretty good number on the 3/4 ton front end. Got the frame and bumper/hitch checked out - no damage. Did get a new step hitch out of the deal. After that, I keep the step hitch on all the time. But do get a check up from the doc too.

Actually have an appointement friday. I'll definitely bring it up. My personal inspection didn't reveal any further damage but I'd like a real mechanic look it over.

Good on the doctor appointment.

My insurance company, Auto Club of So Cal, sent me to a body shop that did the laser measurement thing on the rear end.
The other guy's insurance paid for it.

craig333 said:
Actually have an appointement friday. I'll definitely bring it up. My personal inspection didn't reveal any further damage but I'd like a real mechanic look it over.
Glad you're OK.

You're in the driver's seat to insist on some reasonable allowances from the truck's insurer. High on my list would be a new receiver hitch, fasteners, drawbar, and ball. One cannot visually confirm or dismiss damage to the hitch system and its fasteners, and the only wise move is to replace it entirely. Failure could be catastrophic, and pinning it on the prior incident would be an uphill battle at best. Best to get a new system altogether.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom