Phoenix?

contento

Possibly looking at a 09 Phoenix pop-up for a long bed in the next couple days.

Anything in particular I should look out for?

They seem to be pretty well made from my research. The build process on their website looks pretty thorough and well thought out.

One thing that does concern me, and keep in mind this is just from pictures, is the lift mechanism looks WAY to "lightweight" for a pop up roof. The upside down U-shaped bars that fold up look to be very small in diameter and it appears to have a tiny fitting(like something from a bimini top on a boat) held into the frame with only 2 screws or bolts. But I also haven't found any evidence of their roof supports failing, so it may be stronger than it appears.

Love to hear from actual owners, good or bad.

Thanks!

I owned a Phoenix for 8 years. It was a solid and dependable camper but I sold it to move up to a full sized pick-up and a FWC Grandby. In 2 1/2 years with the FWC, I've had more problems and issues with the Grandby than I ever had with the Phoenix.

The roof supports system is plenty strong and I rode out some really heavy windstorms. The only problem I had was the gusts would tend to move the supports inward and that would let the roof try to come down. I spent one very scary night in the Valley of the Gods in Utah in a wind storm that shook the camper violently for several hours. It was too windy to drop the top and the roof kept trying to lower itself so I spent the whole time laying in the upper berth on my back and holding the support bars apart with my arms and legs. Before the next trip, I fashioned a bar that spread the supports and locked the roof up.

I have a 2011 phoenix and the roof lifting mechanism clicks into place when the roof is fully raised. According to Coyote Rv you can drive up to 60mph with the roof up. A very good roof lifting mechanism imo, but I sometimes need to use a canoe paddle to tuck the fabric in on the overhang section when lowering the roof.

It's been discussed here, but in talking to the nice Phoenix folks at OX13 about our vintage unknwn camper they suggested turning on the fan blowing out and closing the door and window(s). It will suck the sides in, apparently. Have yet to try it.

It's been discussed here, but in talking to the nice Phoenix folks at OX13 about our vintage unknwn camper they suggested turning on the fan blowing out and closing the door and window(s). It will suck the sides in, apparently. Have yet to try it.[/quote

That's how I lower the top on my FWC when it's windy. It works great. You'll know when it's okay to drop the top because the sides will suck in.

ntsqd said:
It's been discussed here, but in talking to the nice Phoenix folks at OX13 about our vintage unknwn camper they suggested turning on the fan blowing out and closing the door and window(s). It will suck the sides in, apparently. Have yet to try it.
I have a Hallmark and use this technique every time I drop the roof. It works great and I don't have to go outside or have someone walk the exterior to make sure the sides are tucked in. I don't know if it is as effective on other campers if you have to lower one end at a time when lowering the roof.

Good Camping,

Paul

Phird05 said:
<snip> I don't know if it is as effective on other campers if you have to lower one end at a time when lowering the roof.

Good Camping,

Paul
We have used the technique. It works great. Be sure and have the fan on high. There is one danger if you screw up. The side liner is held on to the back of the lift panels in three spots. This is almost impossible to get to. If you do not have an adequate avenue for the air to escape (this is why they say you always need the door fully open) you will rip out these mounting points as the sideliner balloons out instead of sucks in.

I should mention my entire roof lowers at the same rate, as I have a crank up and down system inside my camper. This makes it easy, standing in the same spot to raise or lower the entire roof. With the fan blowing out and the camper shut tight the entire sidewall sucks in at the same time. Sweet! I can't think of anything that may go wrong other than my hand slipping off the crank. Luckily, my reflexes were quick enough to get out of the way of the "uncontrolled" lowering of the roof.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom