Photo of FWC door awning ?

DavidGraves

Does anyone know of image of the FWC door awning ?

My 2012 Hawk has the mounting rail and I am interested to see one.

DavidGraves

North Oregon coast

REAR AWNING 1.jpg

Sorry to change the scope of this thread, but I wonder if anyone uses their door awning. We have one, but it is a pain to store because the poles are long and get in the way when the awning is not in use. Telescopic or sectioned poles like those used for tent poles with shock cord in between the sections would be so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I have one and I've never used it as it's a pain to store and install. Probably the one option I wish I wouldn't have gotten.

Timely subject... just returned from two week trip. A couple nights wife and I wished for and discussed having the door awning. I need to give it more thought but believe I actually want one?

We have the awning and seldom use it. Both times we went to Galveston Island for 5 days, the winds were so bad we couldn't use it. When we are sightseeing, it is a pain to have to disassemble it and put it back up everytime you drop the top to take off. The other big issue is that if it is raining and you have the door open, the inside of the door gets wet and that means the curtain gets wet.

Not sure I would order it if I was placing a new order for another camper. Since I have it, we discuss trip by trip whether we want to lug it with us.

When you spend a lot of one night stops, it doesn't make sense to carry that extra weight around.

On another note, I thought I read that FWC wasn't going to offer it anymore. I can't remember where I read that, but I think there was another post on the rear awning during the past 6-8 months. jd

I have the rear awning but rarely use it for the same reasons mentioned. The design is ok, but the materials are overkill.

Using aluminum poles that telescope or are bungi cord connected like tent poles and a lighter awning material like a tent fly rather than the inflatable boat type material would reduce the weight and allow much more compact storage. I think this would result in a rear awning that would be less expensive and be a more useful addition to our rigs.

Need to find or make the end connector to attach to the camper pole mount & sew a rope into the end edge of some tent fly material to slide into the rear awning groove and try the concept on mine.

Paul

I have solved the problem years ago.
Somewhere is the post but don't know where.
I use what I think is the "best" type.
I made mine from the "cargo" cover used in SUVs.
Mine is from the Ford Escape we had years ago and never used it in the car.
It attaches to the "lower" part of the camper not the roof.
It pulls out and sets up in about 5 seconds,and stores in place.Use it when you want it or not.
It works well and keeps the rain/sun off the door. And gives you a place to stand under when entering/exiting in wet weather.
Sorry don't mean to be critical but the FWC awning is a waste of time IMO.
Just for the things you all posted.There should be a better/cheaper way.
Frank

I haven't seen it up close and personal, but why can't you leave it permanently attached, like a "bag awning" you might see on a pop-up tent trailer? Just unzip the bag and extend the poles?

Edited to add: it "looks" super simple in the pictures?

Ace! said:
I haven't seen it up close and personal, but why can't you leave it permanently attached, like a "bag awning" you might see on a pop-up tent trailer? Just unzip the bag and extend the poles?

Edited to add: it "looks" super simple in the pictures?
I did exactly this on my 94 grandby. I attached the regular aluminum awning rail on top of the roof with the slot hanging over towards the back door. Works excellent with an ebay 6ft bag awning. You just have to flop the bag up out of the way of the door when the top is down. Also have to remember to flop it back down before travel. Very nice to use and has many benefits. I do wish the quality was a little better though.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 140
Would like to see some photos.
Have you tried placing the photos on desktop than posting from there?
When you get to the "post" screen chick on "more reply options"
than post your pictures from there.
Frank

dasadab said:
Sorry to change the scope of this thread, but I wonder if anyone uses their door awning. We have one, but it is a pain to store because the poles are long and get in the way when the awning is not in use. Telescopic or sectioned poles like those used for tent poles with shock cord in between the sections would be so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
I started a thread on this, no one seemed interested. It's light, comes in a storage bag, poles are the slide into themselves and lock with a twist. It worked well with moderate winds. Putting it up, I need someone to hold the first pole until I get it set, the second pole is easy. Part numbers are in thread

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12500-alternative-to-fwc-rear-awning/

ae79720bcc9a1db2b15eefe7514d4385.jpg

Cerve137, those are a nice set of awnings. We used to have a similar bag awning on a Coleman tent trailer; I think it was stock with the trailer.

Who made your awnings?

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom