Photo size

Desert Rancher

Contributors
What do y'all think is the "best" size for posting pic's?

File size / screen size - ?

I see different sized pic's in posts and I was just wondering what is the optimum size for viewing.

Regards~

DR

Photos that you insert into posts on WTW get reduced to 900 pixels wide when you insert them (if they start wider than that). And then they display as 700 pixels wide in the post until the viewer clicks on them, which causes the photo to expand back to 900 pixels. So there's no point in uploading a photo that's wider than 900 pixels (unless you just don't want to bother with shrinking them yourself).

As for file size (determined by jpeg compression quality), it would be a rare photo 900 pixels wide (or less) that needs to be bigger than 150 to 200 kilobytes to look good on a web page. When I use Lightroom to convert RAW images to jpegs for web posting I have it set to save the file "no greater than 200kB", and that works fine. If you set the file size by "jpeg quality" I'd say 70 - 80% would be plenty good enough (where "100%" is maximum quality).

(BTW: In case someone doesn't have image editing software, the TOTALLY FREE IrfanView is a great little lightweight image editor. Even though I have Photoshop and Lightroom, I still use IrfanView for simple cropping and image-size reduction and non-critical brightness/contrast changes)

(BTW: In case someone doesn't have image editing software, the TOTALLY FREE IrfanView is a great little lightweight image editor. Even though I have Photoshop and Lightroom, I still use IrfanView for simple cropping and image-size reduction and non-critical brightness/contrast changes)

Mark - Thanks for the Irfan tip. I noticed that with this software it says you can make slide shows. I use Windows Movie Maker and Photostory but find that when I burn them to a CD or DVD it loses the quality of the pictures. Have you tried doing slide shows with this software or have you had experience with other software packages where the quality of the pictures are not lost? Thanks, Ginny (Mrs. Link)

Mark - Thanks for the Irfan tip. I noticed that with this software it says you can make slide shows. I use Windows Movie Maker and Photostory but find that when I burn them to a CD or DVD it loses the quality of the pictures. Have you tried doing slide shows with this software or have you had experience with other software packages where the quality of the pictures are not lost? Thanks, Ginny (Mrs. Link)

Ginny -
I just-now sent you an e-mail (not a PM) about this. If you don't receive it, check your spam/junk-email folder.
- Mark

800 or 900 max pixel dimension is ideal. For anyone with a Mac that wants a fantastic cheap ($49) photo editor you should check out Acorn.

Can anyone help me with posting pictures from my Iphone. I'll take a pic and then access the website from my phone and every time it tells me the file is too big. How do I change the size of a pic I take with my camera phone?

Back
Top Bottom