Pictures from trip to Escalante UT

carld

Here are some pictures from my trip out to Escalante Utah from 11/12 to 11/30. I usually spend a few days in Santa Fe and on the way stopped at Quartz Mountain State Park in Oklahoma.

Baldy Point Quartz Mountains by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

From Santa Fe, headed to Shiprock in north-west New Mexico. I got there a little before sunset and that night got a clear shot at the milky way. Then in morning the sun was lighting up Shiprock.

Shiprock sunset panaroma by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Shiprock Milkyway Panaroma by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

DSC02962-Pano.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

From Shiprock I headed to Valley of the Gods which didn't really workout due to cloudy weather. So I went up to Cedar Mesa to explore the ruins there. These shots are from Moon House, Fallen Roof and House on Fire.

Moon House by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Fallen Roof Ruin by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Fallen Roof Panorama by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

House on Fire by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

The first cold weather set in at Cedar Mesa, sleet and freezing rain. On the way to Escalante I stayed on the Burr Trail and it was brrr cold down to 18F. In Escalante I camped out by Chimney Rock on the Hole in the Rock Road and sent a couple days going through Peekaboo and Spooky slot canyons.

Glen Canyon Bridge by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Esclante Sunset Camp by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Esclante Sunrise Camp by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Peekaboo Entrance by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Peekaboo Canyon by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Spooky Canyon Narrrows by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Around the Thanksgiving holiday it got way too crowded for my taste so I headed back to Santa Fe. This was my last camp in Utah.

Utah Sunset Camp by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Hi CarlD
What great shots, all I can think is how much fantastic it was in person. Captured the milky way one to share.
Thanks Russ.

Great shots! I’m curious about camping at Shiprock; is it open for the taking, or do you need a permit?

It's on the Navajo reservation. Access is on the south side where Indian Service road 13 cross the dike extending south from Shiprock. The roads can be rough and impassable if wet. Fortunately it's open with no restrictions that I can tell but I always try to be discrete and keep a low profile.

Camping on most reservations requires a permit from the tribe. The Navajo Nation for sure requires one. Any hiking or backpacking also requires one. There is a Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation Department. Indians have been screwed for a long time, it is good to show them some respect
Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom