Pinal II

ScottBailey

This is our second trip to this campground. The first was just before we bought the camper. The campground takes a while to get to--an hour--on washboard roads. Overall, though, travel time from our home is just under 2 hours.

There are 13 sites here, all one on top of the other, BUT rarely--it seems--are many populated. Other than our group, there was one other family. Unfortunately, we had to ask them to turn of their radio in the middle of the night.

The views here are astounding!

Pictures as follows:
  • That's my brother in law's Subaru AWD in the background.
  • Our camper.
  • Near our camp site.
  • Our campsite (sis's tent is out of site to the left).
  • Chilly breakfast.

Attachments

• p2_1.jpg
    p2_1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 409
  • p2_2.jpg
    p2_2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 404
  • p2_3.jpg
    p2_3.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 409
  • p2_4.jpg
    p2_4.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 414
  • p2_5.jpg
    p2_5.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 396
Pinal II continued...

The second day, after breakfast, we all took a short, but steep, hike. Plenty of fun.

Pictures of the trail attached.

Attachments

• p2_6.jpg
    p2_6.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 403
  • p2_7.jpg
    p2_7.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 382
  • p2_8.jpg
    p2_8.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 387
  • p2_9.jpg
    p2_9.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 385
  • p2_A.jpg
    p2_A.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 382
Pinal I

I noticed I have zero pictures of the views to post, so here are some from our first trip.

Pictures as follow:
  • Are those the Superstitions out there? Somewhere....
  • This was taken from our site.
  • Jake says "I-see-it!"
  • Picture of the site (it's in the far left of the picture) from the road below.
  • Is this why this site is so deserted?

Attachments

• p1_1.jpg
    p1_1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 374
  • p1_2.jpg
    p1_2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 370
  • p1_3.jpg
    p1_3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 371
  • p1_4.jpg
    p1_4.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 372
  • p1_5.jpg
    p1_5.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 350
Nice pics. That road doesnt look so washboarded, though I have to admit, two hours on washboard roads will discourage a lot of people.

Hiking/Road

nice pix Scott. Did you get to Ferndell Spring?

We hiked from Ferndell Spring (near the campground) down to the junction with the Telephone Trail. It was a tough hike back up for me: steep, I'm out of shape, and with Jake on my back. But it was THOROUGHLY enjoyable.

Nice pics. That road doesnt look so washboarded, though I have to admit, two hours on washboard roads will discourage a lot of people.

It's only about 40 minutes of uncomfortable road. The washboarding is worst in the turns, but there are lots of turns! The other part of the problem is remaining on high alert around every corner, as the road is narrow and twisty.Also, it is nerve wrecking coming up to a blind turn with cliff on one side and drop off on the other! By the end of the trip, I feel a bit drained...

Where is this campground?Is it in the same area as the proposed "POPUP BOWL"?If so why don't we have it there?

Did you air down?

I can just see Pam on that road. We keep a sleep mask in the truck just for these types of roads.

Where is this campground?Is it in the same area as the proposed "POPUP BOWL"?If so why don't we have it there?

Same area, but different altitude (read temperature). Also, the KC group site is 45+ minutes closer and can be reserved...

Did you air down?

I can just see Pam on that road. We keep a sleep mask in the truck just for these types of roads.

Regarding the mask: now that's funny! My wife is slowly getting used to my superior driving skills. Still, I am often required to remind her I am a former professional driver. (Worked my way through college as a pizza boy.)

I won't air down until I have on board air... Any recommendations for a good unit? I know it would have smoothed out the trip!

Scott,

I spent 30 years as a professional driver (school bus) and that fact has no bearing on how my wife reacnts hence the mask. She apparently cant grasp the concept that I dont want to die either.

I'm using an air horn compressor I bought from JD Whitney 15 years ago. Its mounted in an ammo can with about 20 feet of hose and batt clips. Takes about 15 mins to air up all 4 but I'm not in a hurry and dont feel the need for a high dollar higher tech unit.

Rant

Quote "Other than our group, there was one other family. Unfortunately, we had to ask them to turn of their radio in the middle of the night."

Ok, maybe this should be its own thread, but this really pi--es me off! Why is it some people are sure everyone else in the campground drove hundreds of miles and out some long, winding, washboarded road just to listen to their stereo? I go to these places to get AWAY from people like that. Yet everytime we stay in a campground, there is always someone that has to play their car stereo.

Sorry to hijack your trip report, Scott. Did they at least apologize? Most people we ask to turn down their radios seem to think we are the ones with the problem.

It was midnight so I have to ask, how loud was it? I know a few people sleep with the radio on low. Annoys the heck out of me.

2 to 1: radio off

It was midnight so I have to ask, how loud was it? I know a few people sleep with the radio on low. Annoys the heck out of me.
Well, they were a young family. Dad and mom is their 20s. 3 little children. They just didn't have good sense.

Initially it was loud, then they turned it down about 9PM. We got to bed about 10. It was just loud enough to be annoying, but not loud enough to be worth the confrontation. At about 11:15 they turned it to party loud. I put my pants on and my brother in law had the same idea...

They had a big fire going and didn't see us until we were within about 20 feet. Scared the crap out of the guy. I almost felt bad for him.

Did they at least apologize? Most people we ask to turn down their radios seem to think we are the ones with the problem.
There were two of us guys and just the one of him. We asked him to turn his radio OFF. He apologized. They turned the radio off. I hope they'll be more considerate in the future.

I know some people get stereos for their campers. Not me. I want to hear nature.

I just got back from my trip into the Pinal Mts.I camped at the upper Pinal recreation site.There are just 3 camp sites and a really nice spot.The road was narrow with plenty of pullouts.Your F350 must ride a lot stiffer than my T100(IFS) because I thought the road was pretty nice.I tried to check out the Kellner group site but it was occupied.It did seem to be a nice spot.It would be pretty warm there right now but would be a little cooler a month from now.

Shhh! Don't let everybody know!

I just got back from my trip into the Pinal Mts.I camped at the upper Pinal recreation site.There are just 3 camp sites and a really nice spot.The road was narrow with plenty of pullouts.Your F350 must ride a lot stiffer than my T100(IFS) because I thought the road was pretty nice.I tried to check out the Kellner group site but it was occupied.It did seem to be a nice spot.It would be pretty warm there right now but would be a little cooler a month from now.

The road is--I'm certain--more PITA in my truck. I probably need to take a good hard look at adjusting my tire pressure. You didn't think there was a lot of spin the wheel left, spin right, spin left, back to the right again? Maybe I spend too much time on the freeway. Heck I'm certain I spend too much time on the freeway....

I took a brief look at the general location of Kelner when I drove past, but we had an appointment back home that kept me focused/distracted.

According to weather.com, the average temp near Kelner drops about 10 degrees between sept and october. Should be OK. (Kelner should be 3-5 degrees cooler than Globe due to alt.)

Scott,

I have a truck similar to yours, (see signature) and air down to about 30psi when driving off road. Makes all the difference in the world.

Marc

Scott,You need another 2,000 lbs to make those springs work right.Get one of those deluxe 3,500 lb cabin cruiser campers with dual slideouts that should smooth out the ride.(LOL)
Did you make it to the top and see all the communication towers?

GVWR: infinite!

Scott,You need another 2,000 lbs to make those springs work right.Get one of those deluxe 3,500 lb cabin cruiser campers with dual slideouts that should smooth out the ride.(LOL)
Did you make it to the top and see all the communication towers?

Camper on and loaded plus passengers I have another 2000 pounds capacity. The ATC changes the trucks behavior, but not much. Pretty crazy what you can load in one of these trucks.

Someday we might ADD a slightly more luxurious camper, but I can't imagine slide outs or getting rid of the ATC!

We saw a bunch of towers, but we didn't get up to the peak. Next time--and there will be a next time!--I plan to climb the lookout tower.

Scott,

I noticed some of the same phenomenon with my Dodge and the factory suspension. After upgrading to the Lorenz suspension I can go faster than any sane person should over those types of roads w/ or w/o the camper.

Kyle

Back
Top Bottom