Pine Forest Mountains

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1
Hi Guys!

The other day a friend called me to ask what I knew about the Pine Forest Range/blue lakes area south of Denio. I looked at my maps and found Onion Springs CG and a note from Mark BC that the area was neat, but then I went on the BLM Winnemucca site and my how did I miss this place, a WSA, high mountains, trees, lakes and res's, great fishing and hard access by a 24 mile 4x4 road! I've worked and played just west of here in the High Rock/Black Rock area for over 30 years and I have never heard of the place. They say it gets lot's of fishing use and the photo's look great; is this another Steens Mountains type area that most people never heard of before or what. Anyway, I had the area marked as a future possible WTW area, but now I an really interested, so is it worth the run out there or am I 10-20 years to late? I'll probably run out there anyway because it's just south of where I have been playing of late, but any more info would be welcome!

Thanks

Smoke

Smoke, it's been over 20 years since I've been in there, but it's a neat area. Onion Valley and Knot Creek reservoirs have some big fish, and in the Blue Lakes area, we found four different species of trout. It has most of the wildlife species you would expect... Mulies, bighorn, mountain lions, chukar, etc.. I'd like to do more exploring of the area. Very close to the Virgin Valley.

When do we leave! :D . Maybe someone has some updated info on the area, but boy it looks liuke a trip through the Sheldon then down!

Smoke

Great area to explore and fun hiking. I've done a number of trips there and try to hit it up every 3-4 years. Last time there was in 2013 and some of the roads were in really bad shape. Lots of washouts and exposed rock so be forewarned. I think the approach from west is consistently the best road. My buddies really enjoyed the fishing in Blue Lakes Basin.
Here's a view from PFR looking westward out over the Sheldon Refuge.

Attachments

• PFRss_July4_JDavis_web.jpg
    PFRss_July4_JDavis_web.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 70
Sweet photo!

Sounds like the roads are about the same as when I was last there. Worst was from Onion Valley Res. up to Blue Lakes area.

PFR?

Guys
Despite the roads, still great pictures, I'm getting that "I gotta go and be there---now feeling". Okay, as an getting older desert rat :ninja: , just how bad are the roads and is this one of those areas that you need to have two or more rigs to get in there? If so, who wants to go in next month, or so, or do I wait for Steve to get his new pop-up! Bob you or Mark BC up for a run there!

thanks keep giving me info, the dog is packing his bag of soup bones and tennis balls :D !
Smoke

CraggyMan said:
Great area to explore and fun hiking. I've done a number of trips there and try to hit it up every 3-4 years. Last time there was in 2013 and some of the roads were in really bad shape. Lots of washouts and exposed rock so be forewarned. I think the approach from west is consistently the best road. My buddies really enjoyed the fishing in Blue Lakes Basin.
Here's a view from PFR looking westward out over the Sheldon Refuge.
Hey CM, do you mean come in on knott road instead of coming in from the Denio Junction? Mark marked that on my Atlas of the area several years ago! It looks like a typical Nevada gravel road probably with some signs and the less bounces this old body takes these days the better off I am. Getting excited may have to have an other drink!

Smoke

Yep, Knott Rd from Hwy 140. There is a main left just south of the warm springs (Gridley??) that may (or maybe not) be signed for Onion Reservoir. It is a reasonable road, steep in a few places but generally friendly.
Avoid any popular weekends if possible as the fishing at Onion Res and hunting season develop a lot of traffic. That being said I have been in there over both 4th of July and Labor Day and found secluded campspots.

cheers-

Boy that has reminded me of years past. Spent many trips to Knott Creek Reservoir to fly fish for 25 inch rainbows. It has been 15 years since. Knott Creek Reservoir does not have the scenery like the other lakes have. We just needed to make sure we had enough fuel. Have a good trip

pvstoy said:
Boy that has reminded me of years past. Spent many trips to Knott Creek Reservoir to fly fish for 25 inch rainbows. It has been 15 years since. Knott Creek Reservoir does not have the scenery like the other lakes have. We just needed to make sure we had enough fuel. Have a good trip
Last time I was there, Nevada Fish and Game posted a two fish a day limit... over 20 inches.

As I was looking at the comment about enough fuel, that reminded me... I don't believe Denio junction has gasoline now. That means either Fields Station or Adel are your closest places with gas...

Ya, I was thinking about that, I remember You used to have to carry cash (no credit cards) to buy gas at Adel (up to last year) but they have new owners there now that take credit cards. Then there are the milk shakes at Fields as an added reason to go there. Does anyone know if the old owners there ever got an offer from someone to buy it? I know they were thinking about selling out and retiring. Anyway guys thanks for all the info about the Pine Forest Range. yep, this is sure the right place to get WTW information :p and If things go as planned I will to head there soon!

Smoke

Might be worth checking in with local BLM on road conditions? The road in from the east side 140 is really pretty and makes for a nice loop so might be worth finding out if it has had some maintenance since 2013. Also on the same trip we discovered that the short spur road up to the Blue Lakes Basin trail-head was getting pretty gnarly so seeing if that one has improved would be nice to know.

Also, was in Adel last summer and they take credit cards.

Back
Top Bottom