Planning to go over Sonora pass soon

Rockcod

I saw a post by billharr here earlier today, (thanks bh). Opened at 2:21 today. Having only moto camped over the years I have never moved to far, if at all away from the pavement. I am aware most CG's enroute must still be snow bound. This is ok should still be a great early season drive. Can someone point me to a camping area, even up to south/north Hwy 395. Dispersed, National Forest , BLM, ACOE, sound really good. I'm recovery kit poor, for now of course. Short of a shovel /AAA/ and fleeting MacGyver skills. Trout streams, hot springs,hiking all are great bonuses. I'd like to leave Thursday early am and return Sunday am. Leaving from the SF Bay Area and will roll through Sonora. Thank you all for any input and ideas :).

Rock

Hi Rock
Check ski3pin's blog sure you can find something there. I think Alabama hills by lone pine has good dispersed. Might be further south than you plan to travel , probable on streams there either.
http://ski3pin.blogspot.com
Not real familiar with the sierras but have driven on hwy 120 east of 395. (Just south of Lee Vining and Mono lake. Wife and I liked and want to return to. Someone else more familiar will post up bud.

Russ

CougarCouple said:
Hi Rock
Check ski3pin's blog sure you can find something there. I think Alabama hills by lone pine has good dispersed. Might be further south than you plan to travel , probable on streams there either.
http://ski3pin.blogspot.com
Not real familiar with the sierras but have driven on hwy 120 east of 395. (Just south of Lee Vining and Mono lake. Wife and I liked and want to return to. Someone else more familiar will post up bud.
Russ
Hey Russ, how is the Panther working out ! Pretty good I'll bet. Thanks for the insight, ski3 posts up some pretty awesome trips. Reading them were very influential in my Ocelot purchase. Like a 4 wheeled John Muir ;)

I'd expect that our higher dispersed sites just east of Sonora Pass on 108 are snow covered or far too wet to access. Any stream or river fishing will be blown out with high water. We returned home from our Memorial Weekend trip north bound on 395. The West Walker and Little Walker were amazing, high, turbulent, scary. Although not dispersed, the Leavitt Meadow Campground is nice and offers access and views of the extensive Meadows. It's a couple mile walk from camp into Lane and Roosevelt lakes. They may be open of snow and hold lots of Brook trout. Also, the Marines MWTC rock climbing and rappelling training cliff is just up 108, an easy walk from camp. Leavitt Falls overlook turnout off 108 is just above Leavitt Meadow. The falls should be in full glory.

There is a dirt road that is across the highway from the falls overlook. It goes in only a short distance to the edge of the drop into the Meadows. Although we have not camper there, we have seen dispersed use there. You might take a look. It would only take a few minutes.

Whatever you do over in that area should be nice with spring starting in the high country. Enjoy!

Please be very careful around the high water.

I believe I have a post on the blog about a fall trip to Leavitt Meadows, Labor Day in 2010?

Thanks ^^. I changed my plans to leave today as soon as I can. I've looked at river flows a little and the E. Walker is running over 800 cfs. Unfishable, well perhaps uncatchable. Leavitt Campgrounds sound ideal I will def head that way. I can drop in at Kens fly shop (sporting goods) in Bridgeport for an updated report.Thanks for the water safety reminder, that is my favorite safety reminder, deadly if forgotten. This week could shape up to be big snowmelt week , most temps are up like June generally is.

You are correct on your blog date, looks great..... thx.

Rock

Back
Top Bottom