Platform?

I'm pretty good at following directions. Would anyone have instructions to build a 2 inch platform for the back of a 2011 Tundra Crewmax? I could probably wing it, but it wouldn't come out as nice.

Thanks,

Sheet of 2" foam.

Or

Some 2x4's flat on their sides with a sheet of 1/2" plwood on top.

Etc.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Sheet of 2" foam.

Or

Some 2x4's flat on their sides with a sheet of 1/2" plywood on top.

Etc.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Just some advise:

1. Make it 4 inches wider on either side to give you a nice landing zone. Don't make it "just fit." You are not building a piano. Conversely don't make it too tight length wise; if you have a 80 inch bed, cut it off at 75 inches or even shorter given rule #4.

2. Paint it using an exterior gray paint or a "deck paint" so it does not wick water or rot.

3. Drive up a a curb or off road (close to home, within a mile) to make sure your camper does not slip off.

4. Make a block by the tailgate so your platform does not decide to escape. A 2x4 can usually be cut to fit the width about 6-8 inches before the tailgate bump-outs.

5. Measure 10 times, and be willing to rebuild again; don't use poly coated sinkers "stinkers" or drywall screws, use "construction screws" made in USA or Europe, not East Asia. Don't use screws from countries that have outstanding debt in the Euro-zone. PIGS.

6. Use a cheap bed liner to protect your truck bed. Cheap, don't spend more than $40 on this bed liner it is going to be trashed soon.

Hope this helps, if I have a point wrong let me know.

Very helpful, thank you. In fact the more I think about it, a platform may not work. There will be a good chunk of camper riding on the tailgate and having it sit on a platform will just be weird/possible unsafe. Gotta think this one through some more. My lack of sleep isn't helping though.

Just some advise:

5. Measure 10 times, and be willing to rebuild again; don't use poly coated sinkers "stinkers" or drywall screws, use "construction screws" made in USA or Europe, not East Asia. Don't use screws from countries that have outstanding debt in the Euro-zone. PIGS.

LOL. I don't think the PIGS have made anything other than leather goods, olive oil and bad loans for a long time now...

Very helpful, thank you. In fact the more I think about it, a platform may not work. There will be a good chunk of camper riding on the tailgate and having it sit on a platform will just be weird/possible unsafe. Gotta think this one through some more. My lack of sleep isn't helping though.

What's the difference. Only make sure your tail gate is level with the floor of the truck otherwise shim accordingly. for example Dodge Ram isn't. It's about 1/4 inch higher. My Ranger rides on 5" platform. Looks a bit weird I agree.

RamRider, shoot me some pics of your set up when you have time. jwvv100@wiu.edu

Thanks

I'm pretty good at following directions. Would anyone have instructions to build a 2 inch platform for the back of a 2011 Tundra Crewmax? I could probably wing it, but it wouldn't come out as nice.

Thanks,

Rather than building or putting a platform in the bed that I would have to move, the manufacturer installed a 3 inch extension around the perimeter of the camper bottom and then added two cross members. This makes a lot more sense to me, as this is something that is fixed to the camper rather than being something loose that I would have to pull out of the truck when using it for work.

Good Camping!

Paul

I think if you look carefully, you'll see that FWC has put 1X4s flat on the bottom of the camper, at least that's the way mine is. I would be tempted to pry these off and substitute something that is 2 3/4" thick in their place (or however the math works out). If done right, this would give you a bunch of storage under the camper for flat stuff. You could even get adventurous and build in a flat greywater tank or a spare water tank.

RamRider, shoot me some pics of your set up when you have time. jwvv100@wiu.edu

Thanks

It's pretty rudimentary. Just 2x4 sandwiched between 3/4"x4'x8' OSB I've had laying around. I build it on a whim to pick up the camper. It's too heavy and honestly ugly. Idea of course is it's temporary. Like they say nothing is more permanent. It's been there for a month now. Haven't finished brackets to take camper off. Still I see zero likelihood of it coming out from under camper while it's tied down. I already put about 2000 miles on that setup.

Back
Top Bottom