Plugging in an LCD monitor in a Hawk?

srileo

All,
I have always toyed with the idea of working out of/around the camper. I work as as a web designer and need access to cell phone, good data connection, and most importantly a decent sized LCD monitor (21" minimum).
Every friday, we are required to work from home/remotely. I envision working out of a campground that has decent cell and data connection. But i don't know what to do about the monitor... I have a spare 23" monitor at home, and i wonder about putting that on top of the dinette and hooking it to my laptop. I wonder if I will have enough power on the single battery to last me a few hours atleast?

Any ideas?

Look for a LED TV with a separate power supply that puts out 12 volts. Run the TV as your monitor via HDMI. If you don't have a laptop that supports HDMI already, look at one of the Intel NUC systems (One that runs on 12 volts). With Bluetooth keyboard & mouse, there is a lot of freedom to set things up in the tight constraints of a Hawk.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=intel+nuc+core+i5&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=70899025987&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15602611702847845711&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6wzq9xqycm_b

Paul

Cool, there seem to be interesting things out there when i search for "portable LED monitor'. I The intel NUC is out of question - i have to plug into my mac book pro, no other way around it. Should be easy enough to get a HDMI- lightning adaptor.

A small LED projector has always interested me, but its a bit goofy to be working in the dark...

PaulT said:
Look for a LED TV with a separate power supply that puts out 12 volts. Run the TV as your monitor via HDMI. If you don't have a laptop that supports HDMI already, look at one of the Intel NUC systems (One that runs on 12 volts). With Bluetooth keyboard & mouse, there is a lot of freedom to set things up in the tight constraints of a Hawk.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=intel+nuc+core+i5&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=70899025987&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15602611702847845711&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6wzq9xqycm_b

Paul

Yeah, well. I'm a retired Software Engr. and have Windows, Mac, and Linux boxes in addition to a number of Single Board Computers. Guessing that someone was using Windows systems usually is a safe assumption if they they don't mention Mac up front. ;)

When I said LED TV, I meant an LED backlight LCD TV. Depending on how you camp you have fewer choices. If boondocking, you may require a small generator to run all day but shore power eliminates that need. With AC, just use a monitor that you can use and transport safely. Maybe you could hang a VESA mount on the rear lift panel in place of the mirror. Hang the monitor after popping the top.

If relying on solar, compute your needs carefully to be able to leave sufficient energy in your batteries to keep you warm and your food cold after working past midnight to finish a project. You may need to go to larger capacity batteries and portable panels to generate sufficient power in rainy/overcast conditions in winter.

Good luck and have fun in your search.
Paul

I use the Duet app which uses the lightening connector (not wifi like other apps, so no lag) and allows an iPad to work as a second monitor - if you have an iPad pro it functions as a large second monitor. Even the 9" iPad is great as an additional monitor. Probably not the cheapest option, but as someone who travels a lot for work, I find it invaluable.

Graton said:
I use the Duet app which uses the lightening connector (not wifi like other apps, so no lag) and allows an iPad to work as a second monitor - if you have an iPad pro it functions as a large second monitor. Even the 9" iPad is great as an additional monitor. Probably not the cheapest option, but as someone who travels a lot for work, I find it invaluable.
This is a great idea for us Mac users.

My Macbook Pro has a HDMI port on the right side.

Typing right now with an Anker bluetooth keyboard and Logitec USB mouse; Macbook sitting (closed) off to the side connected via HDMI to a 28" LED TV as monitor. Just started looking at 12 volt TVs for a monitor in camper.

I have no problem keeping my laptop, keyboard, cell booster, WIFI booster and jetpack powered (mouse has AA battery) along with refrigerator, MaxxFan, LED lights having 208 AH battery and 200W solar.

jim

Great advise Paul. I had never considered AC power at campsite until now. Wow, that does solve part of the problem. Slightly more expensive of a campsite, but worth it. Didnt know about the 12v TVs. great.

PaulT said:
Yeah, well. I'm a retired Software Engr. and have Windows, Mac, and Linux boxes in addition to a number of Single Board Computers. Guessing that someone was using Windows systems usually is a safe assumption if they they don't mention Mac up front. ;)

When I said LED TV, I meant an LED backlight LCD TV. Depending on how you camp you have fewer choices. If boondocking, you may require a small generator to run all day but shore power eliminates that need. With AC, just use a monitor that you can use and transport safely. Maybe you could hang a VESA mount on the rear lift panel in place of the mirror. Hang the monitor after popping the top.

If relying on solar, compute your needs carefully to be able to leave sufficient energy in your batteries to keep you warm and your food cold after working past midnight to finish a project. You may need to go to larger capacity batteries and portable panels to generate sufficient power in rainy/overcast conditions in winter.

Good luck and have fun in your search.
Paul

+1 Quite amazing. In my case a spare iPad would be nice for additional toolbars and windows that i need to keep open. However, it does not solve the problem that i need a larger monitor to look at... I dont see many 23" LCD in 12v. Will keep looking. thanks guys.

Timothy McGowen said:
This is a great idea for us Mac users.

Back
Top Bottom