PNW Geology

Bad Habit

https://www.youtube.com/user/hugefloods

I'm pretty sure I got turned onto this series of videos here on WTW. I know there are many Geology minded people here and most just appreciate something interesting (and anything more intelligent that the Kardashians, yes that doesn't leave out much)

Living here in the Seattle area and enjoying the geology (and incredible other wonders), it's always seemed quite confusing. On the face, it seems simple that the Cascades came up with volcano's and a river or 2 cut through them. Never quite seemed that simple though. Heard about the great floods and Lake Missoula, it made more since. Seems that there's so much more going on and a lot of it has actually happened in "recent" (i.e. I think some members here were around to witness :giggle: ) times.

Not many here spend a lot of time exploring around here, most of the good areas aren't vehicle friendly, so it's seen from the window as you as you go by to the next spot, usually blocked by trees (yes, you truly can't see the forest by the trees), but as you get over over to the eastern side of the state, it's a dramatic change and you can see the landforms.

Anyway, dig around on this Youtube channel, they did a good job, and very informative

Thanks for posting the links. I watched a couple of them. My wife and I camped at Vantage in the winter a few years ago and enjoyed imagining the volcanic activity and giant floods that created that place.

There's a series on the I-90 corridor between Seattle and Snoqualmie Pass. As this where I live and travel a lot of it daily, it's real interesting to see how the area was formed. The episode on the Columbia River gorge is a real good one too

BH,

You might enjoy the paperback book series entitled "Roadside Geology of (your state here)". The books provide ample text, some maps, and some photographs of the geological features we see from Interstates and major highways, as well as good summaries of the historical geology, such as the draining of Glacial Lake Missoula. In the Idaho volume, the draining of Lake Bonneville (now occupied on a much smaller scale by the Great Salt Lake), with similar scouring effects down the Snake River canyon.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom