Pogonip Fog at Mono Lake

Interesting. In the Salt Lake Valley and around Boise the winter fogs will settle in and stay for a week or two sometimes. Often rimes form on all the trees and bushes, creating fantastical shapes. They call them inversions, but seem like a similar phenomena. A short drive to any higher elevation pops you right out into the bright sun and blue skies.

AWG_Pics said:
Interesting. In the Salt Lake Valley and around Boise the winter fogs will settle in and stay for a week or two sometimes. Often rimes form on all the trees and bushes, creating fantastical shapes. They call them inversions, but seem like a similar phenomena. A short drive to any higher elevation pops you right out into the bright sun and blue skies.
Here we get the inversion layer fog and can last a few days to weeks. If you want to see the sun and warmth we head up to Tahoe, Some people can get really bad depression. . So cold and damp Pogonip forms on everything.

When I lived in Mammoth Lakes I remember a friend driving into the fog at Mono Lake and instantly the windshield was iced over.

I can confirm that the pogonip has been epic. When you add in the incredible (and suddenly) disappearing right hand lanes I decided the section of the drive around Mono Lake has been the crux of every ski trip since December.

Thankfully its been rare for years now but we once had fog for a solid month. People got seriously depressed not seeing the sun. I'm okay if that doesn't happen again.

craig333 said:
Thankfully its been rare for years now but we once had fog for a solid month. People got seriously depressed not seeing the sun. I'm okay if that doesn't happen again.

That photo is of a mild case. A couple of mornings so far this winter the fog was just a short distance below the viewpoint. One morning I woke to fog on Deadman Summit - the next high point to the south.

Back
Top Bottom