Pop-up hauling a ATV

Funstini

Advanced Member
Hay guy's

I take a lot of photos, mostly sunrise and sunset, things are good if I can get close enough to the shoot with the Ford 4x4 diesel with a keystone pop-up. Sometimes I can hike, other times it's too far, didn't get up early enough, or my wife is with me (she refuses to get up that early and break camp ........ women huh!). Even though I could break camp in 10 minutes, sometimes, especially if you don't want to lose your great site you hoof it. Good exercise but takes awhile to get there.

Any way all that said, I'm thinking about getting a UTV/ATV and a high clearance trailer. I'm thinking I could find that great site and then head out for my sunset shots. I'm thinking my old 4X4 Ford with 7.3 diesel should pull the trailer, think I could pull it over rocks and small boulders. I do know, I could have big trouble if I should met another vehicle on a narrow shelf, one lane road and have to back up aways. Also know I can't ride it in National Parks and in some areas so I would need to leave it for a couple days.

Any suggestion's? Anyone have a similar set up? Am I crazy, never seen another fool hauling one of them things at 10,000 feet.

Funstini

I haul my Jeep behind the truck. Its normally no problem. Of course there have been times. I have gone down roads that dead end and to turn around I have to disconnect the Jeep, turn each one around and then reconnect. I'd make sure the atv/utv was capable of towing the trailer just in case something came up.

Good point Craig. I had considered a small Jeep. The unit seems to have worked good for you I'm guessing? How often do you take it? Do you have enough power to pull it up some pretty steep 4x4 roads or do you park the truck at lower elevation and take the Jeep? Have you ever had to drop the Jeep and leave it for a couple days? I think it might be easier to leave it in a parking lot or business for awhile than a trailered UTV.

Funstini

I have a couple trailers for hauling bikes or the ATV. One is a rugged but small thing with nice sized wheels and can carry a bike but not an atv. The other is your standard 10' enclosed however I changed the drop axle to a straight one so I have better clearance. I haven't used them much in remote territory, the 10' simply makes the rig too long and backing a trailer on a shelf road would be one big mess. In a couple weeks I'm headed to SW CO and will take the 10' but if I want to take the truck up the passes the trailer will have to stay behind. The F250 isn't very good on tight turns anyway. I took it up to Clear Lake outside of Silverton and had to make 3 point turns, no way with a trailer and turning around would be nearly impossible for significant stretches.

Probably a better option would be a dual sport/street legal bike. You can get a well equipped 650 or 400, or even 250 for between $2000 - $3000 and if you decide to sell it not give up much in the process (In fact I know a couple nice ones for sale (-:). You can haul on a hitch rack or in a trailer and those shelf roads and tight turns aren't an issue. I'll give you a free riding lesson!
272086549_G6LEn-M.jpg

Here are some pictures I have save of similar set ups.

Attachments

• Quad.jpg
    Quad.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 256
  • trailer with quad runner.JPG
    trailer with quad runner.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Trailer behind camper.JPG
    Trailer behind camper.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 330
  • trailer with quads behind camper 2.jpg
    trailer with quads behind camper 2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 335
  • F-350 rear shot with quad runners.jpg
    F-350 rear shot with quad runners.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 288
This is my outfit. Flipped the axle and gained 4" of clearance. It is very light and easy to manhandle. Plus great for carrying extra water, gas, etc.

IM001990.jpg

IM001991.jpg

towing jeep is not bad....dont really notice a load.

when your on a fast dirt road that jeeps bounces around back there....looks like a water strider floating over the bumps.

I can forget I'm towing the Jeep. I generally don't tow it over four wheel drive roads (I have but didnt intend to and thats a long story). Pretty much I get to wherever I want to camp and the take the Jeep out.

Here is my set up. The trailer is a Wells Cargo covered Service Wagon. In January, I had the axle replaced (long story) and a 4" lift installed on the trailer.

Attachments

• 2008_hawk_on_2010_ford.JPG
    2008_hawk_on_2010_ford.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 215
Being a Jeep guy I hate to suggest this but flat towing a Suzuki Samurai could work. They're cheap, not much bigger than an ATV and work great off road. They suck on the highway but they are street legal and can be unhooked and driven in tight spots.

Being a Jeep guy I hate to suggest this but flat towing a Suzuki Samurai could work. They're cheap, not much bigger than an ATV and work great off road. They suck on the highway but they are street legal and can be unhooked and driven in tight spots.

I thought about a Suzuki but also realized I seen very few on the road lately. I do remember the reviews were not all that great, I think safety was a big concern. Did they quit making them? Nice and small and not much bigger than a UTV and can be licensed and driven on the street. I probably wouldn't use it more than a few hours a day. Maybe I should rethink the whole situation. Now I'm wondering about leaving a UTV for a couple days ........ maybe that's not such a good idea.

Thanks.

Anyone drop their second rig for more than a day? I'm thinkin maybe leaving a trailered ATV/UTV/Jeep/bike etc. may not be such a hot idea. I've been very luckily and never had anything stolen or vandalized but something like that might be asking for trouble?

Anyone drop their second rig for more than a day? I'm thinkin maybe leaving a trailered ATV/UTV/Jeep/bike etc. may not be such a hot idea. I've been very luckily and never had anything stolen or vandalized but something like that might be asking for trouble?

I wouldn't drop my atv trailer and leave it....even if it had a lock on the trailer ball. Some low life out there would figure out a way to steal it.

Hay guys, thanks for all the help and ideas. After pondering the question and seeking the advice of the old wise man on the mountain ............ and flipping a coin, I think I'm going to go with a Jeep. Maybe a older narrow width and shorter wheelbase C5. I'm thinking I'll start making camp at lower elevations and just head out in the ol Jeep. And if I want to do some wheeling around the Reno/Tahoe area I won't have to take that big diesel Ford with the pop-up. If I have to drop the Jeep for awhile I'm thinking it will be much less suspicious than a trailered ATV/UTV, where some low-down, scum-bag would see it and just think I'm close by, taking a stroll in the woods.

Kind of new to this Jeep thing, don't know much about them. I have noticed there are quite a few in the area. I was thinking maybe a older 6 cylinder 1980sh. Is the old 4 banger underpowered for today's highways? Someone was telling me that they changed the style in the late 80's because of that roll-over scare. Thought the older C5's was probably what I was looking for. Don't really want a hardtop, I'm more of a soft top guy. What is the best way to tow a Jeep, do I have to disconnect the drive shaft?

Sorry for all the questions, maybe some of you Jeepsters can help me out.

Thanks,

Funstini

The narrow jeep would be the CJ series. In 85 or 86 the wider Wrangler was introduced (square headlights).
As for engines I prefer the V8 because I like chasing camels through the dunes but the V6 and straight 6 are also good choices for the trail and street. Craig will probably disagree with me but I think the 4 banger just doesn't do it on the highway.
I have flat towed my Jeep for 35 years without any problems. On pre 71 Jeeps with the Dana 18 transfercase (TC) you just put the TC in neutral and go for it. If you have the Dana 20 TC you need to engage the front hubs with the TC in neutral. I have heard that the Dana 300 TC needs to have the rear driveshaft disconnected but I'm not sure of that. I think the Dana 300 was introduced in the early 80s.

Going to a Jeep is an excellent choice. Unlike my ATV, you can drive your Jeep anywhere you want as it is street legal and still go off road anywhere you want!! National Parks like Death Valley come to mind. You can take your Jeep on the back trails but they will not allow an ATV or unlicensed vehicle.

Camelracer has a gorgeous Jeep!! I love Willys and wanted one all my life. I've had 1 YJ and 2 TJ's. I will probably get another soon!!! But it will have to be a TJ!!! You can get a nice used one for less than a new ATV!!! A 4.0 straight 6 has adequate power and an auto makes for easier crawling, IMHO. A TJ has coil springs which ride nicer and the first model you actually sit directly behind the steering wheel!!! The AC is another clencher for me!!!

Try to find one that all ready has a quality lift and that will save a bunch of money!!!

The narrow jeep would be the CJ series. In 85 or 86 the wider Wrangler was introduced (square headlights).
As for engines I prefer the V8 because I like chasing camels through the dunes but the V6 and straight 6 are also good choices for the trail and street. Craig will probably disagree with me but I think the 4 banger just doesn't do it on the highway.
I have flat towed my Jeep for 35 years without any problems. On pre 71 Jeeps with the Dana 18 transfercase (TC) you just put the TC in neutral and go for it. If you have the Dana 20 TC you need to engage the front hubs with the TC in neutral. I have heard that the Dana 300 TC needs to have the rear driveshaft disconnected but I'm not sure of that. I think the Dana 300 was introduced in the early 80s.

I don't disagree at all. My Jeep is not suited for the freeway even with the overdrive. I have the warn full floater kit (hubs in the rear) so towing is easy for me. I've heard differing things with the D18. I used to disconnect the driveshaft for long tows, just pop it into neutral for shorter tows. Being street legal does have some serious advantages.

OK .... thinkin this over, I ended up getting a 86 CJ5 Jeep, inline 6, and 5 speed. I figured this is probably the way to go, a little larger, a little heavier, but no trailer, it's street legal, someone sees the jeep or camper parked on the side of the road ...... they're thinking, "he's hiking and due back any minute". So now I just make camp and hop in the Jeep and off I go ...... back road or paved road.

Now I open the "can of worms". I thought, I could just flat tow it, put the trans and transfer case in neutral, make sure hubs are turned out, hook up the lights and tow bar, and it's "on the road baby". Now in searching the Internet I'm getting all sorts of horror stories. Don't "flat tow", disconnect the drive lines, only trailer it. So, I value your opinions. What's your thought's? "Life is not easy here in the West".

Thanks,

Funstini

I have no experience with towing a jeep, but here are a couple pictures I have saved from customers that have sent pics in of their set ups.

Attachments

• IMG_3550 (2).JPG
    IMG_3550 (2).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 8888888.jpg
    8888888.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 182
  • trailer with jeep.jpg
    trailer with jeep.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 159

Back
Top Bottom