Porch light issue

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member
After not finding anything like this during a search I've decided to present it to the members for advice.

The rear porch light on my '17 Hawk appears to be LED in design; there are 3 vertical 'banks' of small LED-looking lights which provide illumination upon activation. My issue is with one of the banks of lights; the entire bank is not lighting up, with the bottom third of the lights flickering or not lighting at all. The other two banks appear to be functioning normally. No similar issue with the other exterior (side mounted) amber porch light.

It looks like the light is 'dying' so I was planning to replace/repair it before hitting the road. Any members with experience in this area are encouraged to reply - Thanks in advance! :)

We've had the same problem almost continuously. We found that dust enters the light and blocks the electrical flow. Contact Cleaner from an electronic supply store fixes the problem, until more dust enters and we have the problem again. I don't know if there is a good, final, answer.

deezlgeezr,

I have experience replacing the rear porch light on my 2016 Hawk shell. I replaced my factory unit (which stopped working) with a BUG-GUARD BG520W which I order from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZO20JRS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WSNC7AGD4GC5TJVEZCMH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1'> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZO20JRS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WSNC7AGD4GC5TJVEZCMH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The new light works as advertised. However, I am not happy with it for the following reasons:
- in “white light” mode, the unit puts out an incredible amount of light. I am now generally horrified to have the light on when in a camping setting. Maybe you are different, but for me it is just way too much light output.
- in order to use the “amber mode” you first need to cycle through the “white light” mode. This is a bit awkward and not ideal. Even in amber mode there is more light output than I need or generally want.

The actual replacement of the light fixture was pretty easy. However, when I installed the new light fixture, I used silicone sealant and it turned into a not so neat job with excess silcone sealant around the fixture. The silicone sealant material is very good at attracting dirt and dust. If you replace your unit, be careful about what type of sealant that you use and try not to get any excess sealant around the light fixture.

Butyl tape makes a good seal that is easy to clean up.

I have both the factory light fixture on the back in which I installed an amber LED bulb, and new LED fixture on the passenger side wall, which came with an LED and not replaceable bulb.

Thanks to all that have replied!

I took another look, tried the switch jiggle thing, fist bang thing....I have yet to pop the lens for any type of cleaning. I will definitely try that and report results.

With the clear lens cover in place it almost appears as if the LED 'bulb' has some type of connector which appears detachable. In searching for replacements I have found several complete units which are in the 280-300-320 lumens category which I feel is a lot of light compared to what I have. Truth is I hardly even use the light but can't stand having non-operational components along for the ride... :eek:

So I removed the lens cover and got a look at a removable LED bulb assembly. I removed it, cleaned it and re-installed with no improvement. I then swapped it with the bulb from the side lamp (bulb appeared factory-new compared to the rear one) and found that the original rear bulb was defective with 3 LEDs out. The like-new bulb remained in the cleaned rear housing with the defective bulb relocated to the side lamp until replacement.

There are no markings whatsoever on either bulb. I am in the process of looking at many on amazon in an attempt to match one up & determine what the 'factory' bulb specs are.

Thanks again to those who replied with ideas!

Attachments

• firstlook.jpg
    firstlook.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 103
  • dirtybulb.jpg
    dirtybulb.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 104
  • badleds.jpg
    badleds.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 107
dennis 221 said:
Yes where can you buy replacement bulbs?? Anyone
Camping World has a selection, as do boating supply places like West Marine, but I would probably look online at Amazon. Have all the info on your current bulbs.

Take a look at these on Etrailer. Scroll down about halfway to the 180-degree paddle-style 'bulbs'.

Etrailer 1156 LED bulbs page

1156 refers to the type of incandescent automotive bulb they replace. These (and the one we're trying to match) have a BA15S base (BA15S= bayonet-style, 15-millimeter, single-contact). Link to 1156 specs.

Note that some have a 180-degree beam and one has a 120-degree beam and they are available in 15 or 18 LED versions and both cool-white and warm-white color temperatures.

It appears we have to be careful to note orientation of the lugs on the base. I found this similar (but only 15-LED) bulb on Amazon but its lugs are in line with the panel while the Etrailer ones have lugs running perpendicular to the panel.

I don't have the LED bulbs in question so I'm just going by what I see in the post #7 photos and trying to match.

Also- note that you don't have to replace the bulb with the same exact thing. Searches for 1156 LED replacements will show quite a variety of styles. The paddle and panel style bulbs seem to make more sense than tower-style bulbs for this purpose but the tower ones also work.

Back
Top Bottom