Porch light repair

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
Our 2008 Hawk has the stock FWC rear porch light with amber lens. I replaced the bulb with an LED replacement several year ago. My problem is that the switch is intermittent. Sometimes I will flip it a dozen times and it will come on. Other times, I can't get it to work at all. I've poked around at the wiring coming into the switch and I can get the light to come on by pushing the wires so it seems like a poor connection. No position or tweak seems to keep the light working.

I've seen a few other similar comments about switch failure on the porch light. Has anyone found a repair or replacement option? It would be nice to have a little light on the back of the camper.

Andy, there are tons of replacement lights, I'd just replace the fixture. Save the LED that you installed for an interior light or a spare.

+1

Andy, there are tons of replacement lights, I'd just replace the fixture. Save the LED that you installed for an interior light or a spare.

If you are going to change the switch go fancy. Make it a 2 way switch with one inside and one outside. No more opening the door is you forget to turn off the light. You want two double throw single pole switches.

switch_two_way_off_on.jpg

2way-switch-conventional-en.png

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Andy, there are tons of replacement lights, I'd just replace the fixture. Save the LED that you installed for an interior light or a spare

+1

If you are going to change the switch go fancy. Make it a 2 way switch with one inside and one outside. No more opening the door is you forget to turn off the light.

77853wayrockerswitchkit.jpg

2way-switch-conventional-en.png
Is that the stock replacement switch, Bill? If I could just replace the switch, I could be happy with the existing fixture.
Otherwise, per WS, I could look for a new fixture and am open to specific suggestions that have worked for others.

My camper porch light started failing in the same way within a couple of years of new. Periodically it would work again, but it's been years since I've seen any life in it. Years earlier I had the same trouble -- early death -- with the dome light in my pickup canopy.

Seems odd that such a simple device would fail -- since none of the other electrical devices in my camper have failed, but porch-light failure seems common.

Not sure what kind ATC puts on, but our amber porch light uses a simple rocker switch on the bottom. Good so far.

Those rocker switches that fit in a 1/2" x 3/4" hole are pretty common. It should be easy to get a replacement. (Try DigiKey, Mouser Electronics or even Amazon.) The wires were originally soldered but, if you can't do that, you could get a switch with slip-on terminals and crimp slip-on connectors on the wires. The new switch will probably last longer than the original because the LED draws a lot less current. The original switch switched the higher incandescent lamp current for several years.

- Bernard

Thanks Bernard. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I measured the switch at 18mm x 12mm (3/4 x 1/2 approx) and found a two terminal switch on Amazon for $4. I think dust got into the old switch causing poor conductivity. I'll post photos of the repair once I get the new switch. Good point about the LED drawing less current.

My porch light has been working okay since I cleaned the switch and bulb contacts with electrical contact cleaner spray last winter. But given the amount of dust in the fixture I can see it's just a matter of time till it lets me down again.

In any case, this thread reminded me of it and I poked around on Amazon a bit before finding an LED one that runs white or yellow and claims to have a waterproof switch. You apparently switch between colors (and lumens and current draw) by toggling power to it.

Anybody have experience with it (or one like it)?

http://www.amazon.com/BG520W-Functional-Exterior-long-life-bright/dp/B00ZO20JRS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1449255838&sr=8-10&keywords=LED+porch+light+RV

And here's a motion-detection version which also gives you a visual warning if your battery bank gets low and has visual indication it's ready to sense motion. It can also be used as a regular porch light.

http://www.amazon.com/MG1000-450-Exterior-Motion-Porch-Security/dp/B00UO6HP9Y/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51S3QZprIdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=15MXT4KSTBT2VE422FDX

-OC

Porch light repair completed. :)

I ordered this switch from Amazon
Which came in a ten pack. :oops:
_DSF2824-M.jpg

The switches are 1/2" x 3/4" or 1.2cm x 1.8cm and they fit this fixture that came on my 08 Hawk

_DSF2818-M.jpg

Note the OEM dust magnet caulking. It's everywhere there's a fitting or joint on the exterior.
There are dark stains running down our camper from this unfortunate choice of product. :(

I attempted a solder connection to replace the failed switch, but the installation of the original switch left wires so short, it was nearly impossible to get the iron against the contacts. Recommendation to FWC: leave wires long enough to replace a switch that is known to fail.

I resorted to crimp on push connectors to gain a little length and was successful. :)

_DSF2820-M.jpg

I have an offer for other WTW members who might need this switch. After nearly melting down my first switch, I still have half a dozen of these switches available. I will mail off a switch to you for free, if you send me a SAE with stamp. My only requirements are that you must have been a member here for three months and have done a few posts to show you are part of the cult. :giggle: Just PM me.

Back
Top Bottom