Portable Power Stations

m.r.h.

I am curious if anyone is using a portable power station (EcoFlow, Jackery, Bluetti or others) instead of a more tradition battery system.

After years of planning, re-planning, not worrying, and again planning an upgrade to my electric system. My electric uses are pretty minimal, pretty much lights, fan, and charging small devices.

The portability and adaptability is really pulling me in that direction.

edit

I park my camper in the shade and live in it for 3-4 months out of the year. In that time it doesn't really move. That makes solar on my roof not the best option. Planning on putting some on the ground but only a few hours of really good sun each day. Thinking a portable power station would work well because I could move it and charge it if the solar cant keep up. Could also be useful as a home backup.

I don' t see the advantage unless you don't want to add solar to the roof or have another vehicle you want to use it in.

Ours was stolen in a break-in over a year ago. We have not missed it al all.

I use the Bluetti EB70s in our Hawk Shell. Its primary goal is to run the refrigerator, charge a phone and or iPad plus the occasional AC needs of a laptop or camera. I charge it and pass through with the solar on the roof during the day and down the road when driving. I am still on the original, already somewhat depleted when I got it 79 AH AGM battery from 2 years ago. We have already used it multiple times around the house for power outages etc. in our car with the refrigerator for picnics and dinner parties. I don’t like things that are just a “uni-tasker” and so far this has proven itself not to be the case.

AWG_Pics said:
Ours was stolen in a break-in over a year ago. We have not missed it al all.
I assume you have a separate power system. I am thinking about using a power station instead of a more traditional battery system.

m.r.h. said:
I assume you have a separate power system. I am thinking about using a power station instead of a more traditional battery system.
Yes, we have dual batteries and a solar system to charge them

m.r.h. said:
I don’t think I would rely on mine for the whole camper, furnace etc.
I will eventually go to a lithium house battery but will still use the Bluetti.

@ m.r.h. - Do consider adding a solar panel in the 160 to 200 watt range to the camper's roof, even if it will be parked under cover for months at a time.
  • Smaller portable power stations are limited to 120 watt output DC - due to the use of a built-in regulated 12 volt DC power supply to bring down the native voltage of the battery bank from ~24 volts.
  • Many of the smaller power stations utilize a cigarette light receptacle and 5mm barrel plug 5525 sockets for their 12V DC outputs.
  • The regulated DC power supply that I mentioned is a parasitic drain on the battery bank when it is turned on.
So, if you do opt for using a portable power station - go with something big enough to run multiple 12 volt DC loads.

I'd recommend something in the neighborhood of a Goal Zero 1500X that offers a 12v, 30A Anderson Power Pole output socket - or - a Bluetti AC200P - which offers a 12 volt DC output of up to 30A via what appears to be a proprietary output port. While the Bluetti has the preferred LiFePO4 battery chemistry, I'd go with the Goal Zero, because of the non-proprietary Anderson Power-pole connections.

We use a DIY power station to run our refrigerator and extend our - stock - dual agm batteries. In our Hawk (shell) I put a pair of Anderson connectors between the solar charge controller and the batteries; That way the power station can be charged via the campers solar panels when we are hiking or otherwise away from the camper.

We also have a small 200 watt Anker power station we use to charge e-bikes. The convenience of small commercial power stations is amazing. We also use it in cars to power a refrigerator while the car is turned off. Or, as a UPS in the house for our LAN. Couple hundred bucks is well worth it for the convenience.

When our agm camper batteries finally do give up the ghost. I intend to come up with some kind of DIY modular solution. Something to use outside the camper.

I wish more portable power stations had an external 12 volt DC output with an Anderson Powerpole connection.

astropuppy said:
We also have a small 200 watt Anker power station we use to charge e-bikes.
That's one of the uses I have for my Bluetti EB70, that then gets recharged from camper's solar panels.

One of these combo units can be handy. Shows the voltage of the battery, provides USB power as type A and Usb-c PD. I used one to replace a voltage display only unit in a battery box.

Paul

I run a combination of both, i have to battleborns in the camper, charged with solar, truck and shore power.
I also carry one or two eco flow units.
Depends on my needs, i am a freak about keeping my fridges in the camper running, having lights and the furnace with power at all times. I also sometimes use another fridge/freezer in the cab, sometimes need my starlink for work and charge other odds and ends.
I also run my portable diesel heater off of an eco flow. I charge the eco flow units during the day with solar, the truck charges the house batteries and sometimes the eco flow units as well. My last trip out, the solar on the roof charged both, but i can use a portable if needed.
Lots of options.

A thought - since based on your post solar seems to be a challenge for your particular situation.

Have you considered a nice quiet and dependable Honda or Yamaha 2200 or 2000 watt generator (or even a smaller one if your power needs are minimal)? Might wind up being cheaper and more convenient if you don't have solar that is reliable due to shade or something else.

I hope this is helpful

Craig

Thanks for all of the input and thoughts. This is the type of info I was looking for. Love this forum so much!

When I originally started looking into this I thought it was maybe a slightly cheaper and easier way to get into a LiFePo battery. I currently have zero solar, stay plugged into shore, and charge my house batter with a Norco charger. So I am building from scratch.

I have been looking at the EcoFlow Delta 2, Bluetti AC200P, and AC200PMax. These all have some options to add extra power which is a nice touch. I will start with 200W panel, likely portable ones, and later do 200W on the top of camper.

Also thought about going with a small gas powered generator like Craig suggested. I have access to one and might give it a try for a bit.

Going to have to continue search and put some cost analysis together.

m.r.h.,

No matter what route you take for power I strongly recommend spending some time figuring out your actual power needs for the season(s) duration and type of camping you do. Once you have done that you can size your system appropriately with some margin for low sun days.

If you go solar I recommend starting out with the largest solar panel you can fit on your camper along with an appropriate solar controller for that size panel (I prefer the Victron stuff but there are other good choices for sure)., One single large 300 - 400 watt panel will weigh less than any combination of smaller panels providing the same amount of power and it will be cheaper too. I have not read of anyone saying they have too much solar power. Many however wind up adding panels and then finding they need to replace the controller they bought because it would not handle the combined solar panel situation.

I hope this is helpful,

Craig

I've been using a portable power station for a while now, and I must say, it's been a game-changer for me. I opted for the EcoFlow Delta model, and it's been incredibly reliable and versatile. Like you, my electric needs are pretty minimal, mainly lights, fans, and charging small devices. The portability and adaptability of these units are definitely a huge plus. I love how I can easily move it around the house or take it with me on outdoor adventures. Plus, it's a great backup during power outages. If you're considering making the switch, I'd highly recommend looking into the various options available from EcoFlow, Jackery, Bluetti, and others to find the one that best fits your needs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom