Portable solar cable length?

Alvis

Advanced Member
Ok time to use a lifeline - phone a friend / ask the audience......

What length of cable do ya'll use on your portable solar?

Trying to get a feel for what is typical length needed most of the time. In my digging around seems like folks have as short as 10-12 feet all the way to 50ft.

Not so much interested in the wire gauge discussion about power loss per feet, etc as I already understand the physics of that, just interested in the "I have x feet and that seems to be the goldilocks length"

thanks,
Alvis

Why not have like three different cable lengths with quick connects, then you can deploy just what you need. Like a 10 foot, 15 foot and a 25 foot.

I bought a 100' cable set and a pack of MC4 connectors through Windy Nation and made 40', 35' and 25' lengths. I have occasionally been able to use the 40' by itself, most of the time I've used the 40 and one of the others, but have needed the full set on six or seven occasions (BC, Yukon, and AK).

I have a Zamp 160W portable that came with 25 feet of 10 gage cord. I changed that to have 5 feet of cord when I have it attached to the roof, one 20 foot extension and one 15 foot extension so I can put it as far as 40 feet when needed, but generally 20 feet is enough when I use it as a portable. Extension cables are available in 15 foot lengths from Zamp. I have found that line loss is nothing in comparison to having it slanted directly into the sun with no shadows.

Thanks for the inputs /ideas. I rigged up a 10 ft mc4 to anderson power pole to connect to the panel, then made a 20 something and 30ish foot anderson terminated cables so all total 60 feet or so hopefully that covers most situations.

I've been thinking about using my ac power cord for this purpose, since I figure I would only be deploying the solar if there were no shore power to plug into. I think I will buy a short, heavy extension cord and cut it in half. The cut ends would get the connectors needed to hook up to the panel and the solar controller. I could just plug these into the ac power cord then to adapt it for the panel.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I've been thinking about using my ac power cord for this purpose, since I figure I would only be deploying the solar if there were no shore power to plug into. I think I will buy a short, heavy extension cord and cut it in half. The cut ends would get the connectors needed to hook up to the panel and the solar controller. I could just plug these into the ac power cord then to adapt it for the panel.
That’s a good idea, cuts down on stuff.

Russ

We use 40 foot cables (#10 wire). We spend time in the forest and this has let us keep the panel in the sun very nicely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom