Post VotG Campering Weekend Plans

Cayuse

Where are peoples travels taking them after the Utah campering weekend in October? My original thought was to perhaps go to Hall's and take the ferry across to Bullfrog and from there go up to Boulder via the Burr Trail then along 12 to Capitol Reef and up through Cathedral Valley And out the north end as a way of winding home. Not the most direct route to Cathedral Valley but an option.

After reading searching for nowhere's thread I started thinking about going up over the Abajos and spending some time in Beef Basin/Ruin Park and then heading out 211 and north. Anyone interested in doing this if the roads stay dry and the white stuff stays off the peaks?

I'll miss the gathering, as I will be heading west on 10-29. Picking up the wife at the airport in Page,Az. on 11-2 and dropping her back off on 11-12. After that I'll be hanging out in northern Az. and southern Utah until about the first of December. If anyone is going to be around. Ron

We might be game 2. Its all new to us. Want to see and experience as much as we can. depending on the weather, we;ll have a couple more weeks in utah, before dropping down to chaco or cyn de chelle. Love to do the burr trail, ferry and capitol reef. Will have to research the Abajos, beef basin etc

Cayuse said:
Where are peoples travels taking them after the Utah campering weekend in October? My original thought was to perhaps go to Hall's and take the ferry across to Bullfrog and from there go up to Boulder via the Burr Trail then along 12 to Capitol Reef and up through Cathedral Valley And out the north end as a way of winding home. Not the most direct route to Cathedral Valley but an option.

After reading searching for nowhere's thread I started thinking about going up over the Abajos and spending some time in Beef Basin/Ruin Park and then heading out 211 and north. Anyone interested in doing this if the roads stay dry and the white stuff stays off the peaks?

Bob,

When are planning that exit through Cathedral? If you still are. We are planning to head back through Cathedral as well; probably be there 10-19 or 10-20. Homeward bound 10-21.

Phil

Wallowa said:
Bob,

When are planning that exit through Cathedral? If you still are. We are planning to head back through Cathedral as well; probably be there 10-19 or 10-20. Homeward bound 10-21.

Phil
It'll be the 27th or so before I would be exiting Cathedral Valley. Camping in VotG until Monday the 24th.

We'd love to get up or close to Abajo peak, Cayuse, and beef basin looks good too. If your leaning exiting that way, we'll come south via the burr and ferry [if its open].
Which maps are you using for Utah? The Delorme is hard to pull details out of, and apples map on my big computer is equally lacking.I have one benchmark map of Montana, which I like more than the delorme Montana. Maybe I should pick up a benchmark of utah, as well as all the downloads I should do to the iPad .

allanb said:
Which maps are you using for Utah? The Delorme is hard to pull details out of, and apples map on my big computer is equally lacking.I have one benchmark map of Montana, which I like more than the delorme Montana. Maybe I should pick up a benchmark of utah, as well as all the downloads I should do to the iPad .
I have the Benchmark and DeLorme maps already and have just ordered the Trails Illustrated maps for Grand Gulch-Cedar Mesa (706) and Manti-La Sal National Forest (703). I like maps and guidebooks and may end up with more before I leave. I've also downloaded the area onto my tablet in Backcountry Navigator because sometimes I'm a geek too :)

If the ferry isn't open you could still drive the Burr and Norton-Bullfrog Rd and then take 276 from Bullfrog up to 95 and cross at Hite.

We aren't sure what we will be doing after the meetup as we planned to pick your minds. Sounds like a great campfire topic. I have loosely planned our week long trip to VotG but afterwards is open. We usually avoid interstates opting for the blue highways and lonely highways like Nevada's 50 and the even lonelier 6. Our only planned stops are at a gravel pit near Tonopah where we know the owner, several ghost towns and a rockhounding spot nearby and a rockhounding area near Beaver, Utah. Other than that, our itinerary is loose. Oh, and a visit to Capitol Reef for fall color.

We will probably take 20 east through North Cascades then head in a southeasterly direction to VotG. Only obligatory route going home is Oregon coast to look for agates. In the last several years we have avoided I5 especially going through a Seattle as it is a mess anytime of the day. 20 east or west even with the ferry ride are better we think.

North Cascades should be pretty color now with the vine and big leaf maples!
We are going to high ball to Salt lake on 84, {going thru Seattle at 3 in the morning}, than put the brakes on. and mosey south thru Capitol reef and Canyonlands from about the 15th to the 19th. Vog about the 20th. No plans yet afterwords,,
Looks like we're pulling out just about the right time, with the rains just starting!

allanb said:
We are going to high ball to Salt lake on 84, {going thru Seattle at 3 in the morning}, than put the brakes on. and mosey south thru Capitol reef and Canyonlands from about the 15th to the 19th. Vog about the 20th. No plans yet afterwords,,
Looks like we're pulling out just about the right time, with the rains just starting!
Watch the gorge cliffs along the freeway from The Dalles, out past Philipi and Blalock canyons. The bighorn herd is often very close to the road. A number of full curl rams.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Watch the gorge cliffs along the freeway from The Dalles, out past Philipi and Blalock canyons. The bighorn herd is often very close to the road. A number of full curl rams.
Thanks, I'm going to take a different path to VotG, first night at Three Mile Canyon then Nehalem and on down the coast to Morro bay before heading inland.

allanb said:
We may see you then at Capitol Reef as we may be there close to that date. Of course, we may get distracted and off course, but that's the fun of exploring. So far, I have us on 20 east then south through the Scablands then down through Oregon along 395 along to Denio, into Winnemucca, Nevada and a series of lonely highways to Tonopah. 6 and 50 and whatever to Beaver. Not sure about the rest after we reach Beaver. As a freeway, I70 isn't bad and we may take it to 24 and Capitol Reef then head to VotG from there. always an adventure. Seattle and I5 may be okay at that hour but then they always seem to be doing night construction.

I might go East from Bend, or I might go south into Nevada - in which case, I'd be along a lonely road as well :)
But I would like to go visit a friend in Logan, UT, so we'll see.

hoyden said:
I might go East from Bend, or I might go south into Nevada - in which case, I'd be along a lonely road as well :)
But I would like to go visit a friend in Logan, UT, so we'll see.
Call when you can, I can give you ideas on several routes and areas to explore here in Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom