potty?

A toliet inside the camper? Really? I don't s*** in my kitchen (actually not far from the mess kit) at home, and I am not going to s*** in my kitchen when camping.

CWD

Your missing the "porta" part of porta potty, So when the fillets are searing you can grab your portapotti by the handles (go figure) and take a stroll. Lets also not forget that the ladies aren't as privileged as the bucks are on a rainy night. None of this stuff is a must have, even the campers, each of us has to decide on how much stuff we need to make our outdoor lifestyle less harsh. Without accumulating so much stuff that managing are stuff becomes a job.

A toliet inside the camper? Really? I don't s*** in my kitchen (actually not far from the mess kit) at home, and I am not going to s*** in my kitchen when camping.

CWD

I do not sleep in my kitchen at home, but it also can not take me to some amazing remote locations in relative comfort. You get the idea. :)

I'd be willing to bet most of us, at home, keep our toothbrushes and brush our teeth in the same small room where we do the duty. So I'm not going to let a porta-potty in the camper bother me.

Exactly! -- it's no big deal...except in somebody's mind.
rolleyes.gif

Does anyone have any advise as to which product is better, the Thetford or the Dometic ? I wondered if there is a difference and how I would go about find out which is better without buying both and doing a comparison. I wish there was some type of forum where info like this could be shared....... Any advise?
Thanks
Dan

Let me know what you find out.

I have no personal experience with either but think I'll go with a 970 series dometic when the time comes unless I learn some new info to sway me. The dometic 960 series and thetfords as far as I can tell have you open the poop valve and then pump water to flush the bowl. The dometic 970 appears to have a pressurized water tank that you can pump up ahead of time, then when the time comes you pull the poop valve and push a button to let the pressurized water flush the bowl. I like the idea of that.

I normally carry mine outside but if weather or modesty demands, I don't mind using it inside. Not sure which model I have.

Here is what I am going to be using. Link

My wife and i are using basically the same setup...but with a 2 gallon frosting bucket from a local bakery rather than the 3.5 gallon mentioned. My wife chose the 2 gal since it was even closer to the ground and more compact (the luggable loo seat covers fit fine). Me? either would work better than having a full size 5 gallon for that use IMO (though we have the 5 gal size for use during our gold prospecting). We use the Wag-Bags in areas that our bio-bag and arm&hammer kitty litter is not appropriate just so we can please the local officials. AND, this was really my wife's idea (the bucket loo). She got fed up with seeing me lugging the Thetford cassette toilet to a dump facility or public toilet. Now we just throw the used items in the nearest trash. No fuss, no mess.

Thom

I came across this yesterday while doing some online reading. It looks like a sound concept & design. It is a very simple urine-diverting composting toilet...and at about 1/2 the cost of competition in it's class, way ahead IMO. It should be vented to the outside (comes with a flex hose), but still doable for many setups.

The nice use of standard 5 gallon buckets for solids, and standard 1 gallon milk jugs for liquids is handy.

Link is c-head.com

a quick image from the site:
trio-487x326.jpg

Thom

I like the idea of kitty litter in a bag. The plus sides i see are, it is lite, no water/flush weight involved to haul around. Another plus is simple-nothing to go wrong. Bring kitty litter & bags.
I'm curious though-how do you dispose of it? From a Public health perspective it is significantly "less than ideal" to dispose of human waste into trash cans/bins. I think most forest service pit type of restrooms would frown (at least) on a bag going in, and dumping it in the pit out of the bag doesn't sound like much fun.....
Just curious...??

Fb

After...
Did a little research to answer my own question.

Also REI has some bags you buy for such purposes, it has some special powder that makes the poop and bag ok to dispose in trash.

(Sorry-did not mean to hijack the thread. Mod my want to split off on its own topic/thread?)
addnl.
If you use "special doggy poop bags" that are biodegradable, then they should be fine to be dumped into a forest service/park pit type toilet. You can do a search for sources on the web-they're there.

If this was good enough for Sir Winston Churchill it's good enough for my FWC.potty.jpg

i just trialed the Thetford 550P, worked well. I might deploy it with hold downs (top heavy when regenerated) and have added a tuperware container to keep the toilet paper dry.

I bought a Reliance Hassock potty on Amazon for $20. We have used it as a step stool to reach the Grandby's latches. My son also used it as a seat when he wanted to play video games. I put a small bucket inside ( triple layers!) for ease in emptying. It has an inner lid for tp. And it fits in the corner under the couch.

I think this has already been discussed here and here.
We use the Clean Waste system and WAG bags also. :ninja:

Freebird said:
I like the idea of kitty litter in a bag. The plus sides i see are, it is lite, no water/flush weight involved to haul around. Another plus is simple-nothing to go wrong. Bring kitty litter & bags.
I'm curious though-how do you dispose of it? From a Public health perspective it is significantly "less than ideal" to dispose of human waste into trash cans/bins. I think most forest service pit type of restrooms would frown (at least) on a bag going in, and dumping it in the pit out of the bag doesn't sound like much fun.....
Just curious...??

Fb

After...
Did a little research to answer my own question.

Also REI has some bags you buy for such purposes, it has some special powder that makes the poop and bag ok to dispose in trash.

(Sorry-did not mean to hijack the thread. Mod my want to split off on its own topic/thread?)
addnl.
If you use "special doggy poop bags" that are biodegradable, then they should be fine to be dumped into a forest service/park pit type toilet. You can do a search for sources on the web-they're there.

We also use this set up. My family even finds this to be a comfortable option while camping. From what I understand the US Nat Parks consider them to be 'trash can friendly'.

Back
Top Bottom