Power Converter Cooling Fan

Dphillip

When I plugged my 2015 Hawk into shore power today I heard a humming noise I'd never heard before. Seeking the source, I discovered a cooling fan running on the side of the IOTA power converter. It's been running non-stop now for three hours. We've been plugged into shore power a dozen times and it's never come on before. No load on the system?

Anybody else have a constantly running fan on their converter?

Called IOTA but they are closed until Tuesday.

dont worry, the fan will cycle on and off depending on the air temp and or load . my 2013hawk does the same thing

Mine does the same sometimes. I have no idea what it is doing but I figured it something was wrong there would be more going on that fan noise.

I have the Hawk parked in the garage and like to plug in shore power every 4 weeks for a couple of days to keep the on board battery charged. I'd hate to have that little fan run for 3 days?

Like Stan, my fan goes on more often on hotter days (summer days in Chico can be pretty hot). If it goes on right when you plug in shore power and it is fairly cool, there could be an issue with the fan control but even if there was and other than the noise, having the fan stuck on is better than stuck off. This is an easy experiment as well.

There has been a few times when I ran my 3-way refrigerator on the battery with shore power to experiment and the fan goes on pretty quickly! The three way fridge draws about 15 amps on 12 volts.

Steve

Thanks to all that responded,

Later in the evening when temps cooled off in the garage the fan shut itself off. Must be some type of ambient temp switch on the unit.

Crisis adverted.

Back
Top Bottom