Power for your camper

JoeKan

I posted this in another section but thought I would get your input as well. How do you all provide power for your camper when you are boon docking or living off grid? I'm wanting to set up a 2nd battery under my truck hood that would be connected to the alternator and the isolater. I'm still not sure what size alternator to get because I won't be drawing much power.
Do you have a dual battery system set up? Would you share what you used and how you hooked it up? Or does anyone have any ideas on it?
By the way, check out my "new" truck I'll be hauling my Alaskan in. It's a 1967 Ford F250. I know she's not a thing of beauty yet, but I'm getting her fixed up to look as nice as my 67 Alaskan.
Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• 1967.jpg
    1967.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 95
Biggest problem with modern trucks is that there isn't any ROOM under the hood to mount a second battery, which is why the modern Alaskans put the house battery in the camper itself. But that shouldn't be a problem with this truck. I had a 68 Ford pickup back in the day, and there was a ton of space under the hood.

My 1966 8' NCO Alaskan camper is totally solar powered by two 100 watt solar panels, as described in this thread:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/11452-engel-12-volt-refrigerator-in-1966-8-nco/?hl=%2Bdenver+%2Balaskan#entry130934

Never have to run the truck engine while boondocking to charge the battery. Utterly quiet and reliable in the sunny Rocky Mountains. However, if you live and camp in eastern Kansas your weather is more cloudy than in Colorado, so you may need one or two more solar panels. I disconnected the 120 VAC input plug on my Alaskan and use only 12 volts throughout my camper.

Back
Top Bottom