Power Inverters

timtana

Has anyone put one in thier rig? if so what wattage? how much does it drain the battery (my camper will have 1 Optima battery)? I would like to use things such as a coffee maker, maybe a toaster.
Tim

I purchased a Honda EU2000 generator to supplement all of my power needs.....:)

I have an 800 watt inverter. Only used it once to power my laptop. With two truck batteries and the camper battery in parallel (I can isolate it if I want with a battery switch) running about eight hours a day (i had to get some big downloads-poor planning on my part-from a slow wifi connection) after five days the battery conditon had moved from green to yellow (wish i knew exactly what it was measuring).

inverter

Another way to go at that would be to buy the 12 volt coffee maker and toaster. You can buy just about any appliance today in 12 volt. Just do a google search for 12 volt appliances and you will find more than you will ever use.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

The short answer is that resistance appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, refers on 12v, and the like will hammer your batteries.

Check out http://www.rversonline.org/ArtInv.html for a discussion on appliance use and battery performance. Other sites dealing with rv solar power will have similiar information.

I only use an inverter for charging and electric shaver and electronic devices that don't have 12v chargers. I carry a generator for other needs.

I tried a 12v coffee maker for my jeep. Idea seemed nice but I'm pretty sure my battery would have been dead before I had a cup of coffee. It blew a 30 amp fuse. I use a coleman drip coffeemaker now. Fits well on the propane stove.

Dorian and I are planning on installing to batteries. An Inverter/Converter for AC current. A Kipor 1000ti generator and a propane tank.

We will let you know how it all works out.

Back
Top Bottom