Power outage in Bend today

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
We had 8+ inches of very wet snow in Bend in the wee hours this morning, and as a result power has been out at my house since 7:30 this morning. Lots of Bend has power out...
...unfortunately, we never lost power at work.
sad.gif
We have a huge back-up generator at work, anyway, so would probably have to work even if the main lines were down.

I had to drive my truck/camper to work 'cause my little Honda Civic had no chance as deep and heavy as the snow is/was. The amount of snow isn't the issue, really, just how wet/heavy it is.

How's the power at your place DirtyDog?

We didnt lose power on this side of town but its a mess over here. Had a tree down in the driveway and had to get a car unstuck in the road in front of the house. Pretty daunting shoveling task ahead....

Pretty daunting shoveling task ahead....

Shoveling? Won't Nature take care of that come spring?
biggrin.gif

Shoveling? Won't Nature take care of that come spring?
biggrin.gif

We'll have an icy mess until spring if I don't do something with all this white stuff.....

We'll have an icy mess until spring if I don't do something with all this white stuff.....

Yeah...I suppose you're right.
rolleyes.gif

BTW: Some friends of mine who live in the eastern West Hills -- 6th & Saginaw -- have no power, so The Grid must have pockets of connectedness and not.

I believe I've allready stated what snow is natures way of telling you.

"Move south"?
huh.gif

I got power again!
About 7pm I got tired of sitting in the dark...cold...alone...hungry...so I drove off to get a hot meal.
As I sat in the parking lot eating my angus mushroom swiss burger with fries and diet coke I pondered life's mysteries.
When I got back home -- glory of glories! -- the lights were on, the furnace was on, and now the TV is on! Life is good again.

Power outage in Bend! What happened? Couldn't the guy who rides the bicycle generator get to work because of the snow? :rolleyes: Things are tuff here in So. Cal. I didn't bother to put on shoes to take the recycables out to the bin. It was cold, had to be 66F.

mike

Attachments

• 1kW-pedal-power-bicycle-generator.jpg
    1kW-pedal-power-bicycle-generator.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 164
Power outage in Bend! What happened? Couldn't the guy who rides the bicycle generator get to work because of the snow? :rolleyes: Things are tuff here in So. Cal. I didn't bother to put on shoes to take the recycables out to the bin. It was cold, had to be 66F.

mike

Mike,

Does the LADWP have the rights to that system? They own everything else.

Mike,

Does the LADWP have the rights to that system? They own everything else.

Nope! LADWP won't have anything to do with these. They're to "green" and you can't screw any land owners.

mike

More/new snow in Bend again today -- about 6" so far at my house...but at least it's 26° and light little flakes rather than the 32° awful, heavy, deep, tree-crushing, power-cutting, mess we had here Tuesday.

Unfortunately, much of that formerly-wet -- now frozen -- deep mess still exists in my yard, steps, driveway...and all over my poor little car.
sad.gif
(Yes, just as DD predicted.
rolleyes.gif
)
But I still stand by my belief that spring is the only environmentally-responsible means of snow removal.
tongue.gif

(Damn, I'm lazy!)

Come on, you guys got to learn about real snow. Been snowing here since Tuesday. Got 2 feet overnight Thursday; that took awhile to move. Power has been off and on and got phone and internet back last evening. Most of town is still out. The two snowblowers have been getting a work out. Had to fix a sheared bolt in the axle of the big one today. The camper's off the truck and wrapped in a tarp. Cleaned several feet off of it yesterday afternoon. Couple of big branches came out of one of the big cedars. Just another day in the mountains. Getting out to ski tomorrow. Got a big enough group to break trail to the top.

Just have to be prepared for the white stuff, backup generator 15,000 watt, extra supplies,snowblower, and tractor to dig out with. :D

Attachments

• christmas 020.jpg
    christmas 020.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 158
  • christmas 024 (2).jpg
    christmas 024 (2).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 167
We received about 16" on Thursday AM in about 4-5 hours. Huge flakes and they just kept piling up....

Gonna be some BIG water comin down this summer, for sure.

and the snowiest months are yet to come!

mtn

Yeah, I know, it's ludicrous to whine about snow in Bend -- other places are worse, and/or I could move south
wink.gif
...but I thought I'd post some photos, anyway, from/of my house this morning:

20110220_Marks-1.jpg

View from my front porch...front steps hidden... Why don't I dig my car out? Because I can drive my truck (the laziness factor)
biggrin.gif

20110220_Marks-2.jpg

About 10 inches deep on my front deck.

Back
Top Bottom