Power Outlet

bike4mee

Hi
This is a great forum. I'm wondering if anyone has put a DC to AC converter with a cigarette lighter type plug in for power in their camper?

the folks iv'e seen running inverters usually are running something large enough to require hard wiring the inverter. 10 amps at a lighter outlet wont cut it.

i carry a small 300 watt inverter that uses a lighter plug...i run a rotisserie motor with it.

My experience with plug-in inverters is not good. I have a 200W unit that will not run on any of my outlets in the camper or the ones in the truck. I have a 400W unit hard-wired (8 AWG wire) to my camper batteries that works well. Its what i am running on now.

A cigarette lighter plug just can't handle much current.

I use a small inverter all the time. I plug it into an AUX power/cigarrett outlet. Its primary use is to run/charge a laptop. I also have charged cordless tool batteries, cell phone, razor, & other low demand stuff with it. The size/power of the inverter dictates the wiring connection.

I use a small inverter all the time. I plug it into an AUX power/cigarrett outlet. Its primary use is to run/charge a laptop. I also have charged cordless tool batteries, cell phone, razor, & other low demand stuff with it. The size/power of the inverter dictates the wiring connection.

I have a smaller inverter in the cab for recharging phones, etc. Tried to recharge my computer battery using one of the multiple outlet adaptors and I fried it :LOL: In the camper I have a 1500w with heavy cables to the batteries. Goal was to run the microwave, which it does, but not too well.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I wired in several AUX cigarrett/power outlets in my camper off of the camper fuse box, with adequate size wiring & fuses. I would imagine that you would overload a single outlet pretty quickly running multiple items off of one plug :(

I have a smaller inverter in the cab for recharging phones, etc. Tried to recharge my computer battery using one of the multiple outlet adaptors and I fried it :LOL: In the camper I have a 1500w with heavy cables to the batteries. Goal was to run the microwave, which it does, but not too well.

those y adapters are hard to find that can handle 10 amps. most are 3 or 5 amp rated.

I didn't think too much about how much juice the computer charging would draw :( Now I have an single adapter directly from the camper batteries for recharging the computer.

Shouldn't be a problem for something like charging the laptop, though you want to make sure your battery won't be harmed by the output from the inverter. If you want to go larger sometime we've got plenty of installation stories posted here.

Back
Top Bottom