Previously Owned...is it worth it?

Riverrunner

I've had my sights on getting a new or "previously owned" camper somewhere around this time next year. I've been crawling around this site for while searching and just going page by page in the various forums here and asking a few questions. A shell is what I'd likely get due to budget if a used one can't be found.

I see what they are going for on craigslist. Conditions vary of course and the buyers willingness to take on a project. None of them seem to last long on CL or almost any other place so if a guy finds one...you have to jump on it. And of course, you usually have to drive to go get it.

So the other day I had a used Grandby presented to me....it just fell into my lap. It's 550 miles away and from the photos I've seen, it looks to be in good condition...owner says it's like new. It's got a lot more options than a shell has. The more I thought about it, the more I figure it would work....It may work better than a shell. It has the standard stuff in it with a few options. It seems to be on the high end price wise for a camper that is 8 years old. Sure, it's cheaper than new... a few thousand less than a shell and a few more less than a new Grandby.

So what does a guy do when it's not a screaming deal like what appears so many others seem to find? It's not a fixer upper either and for it's age and use...it's probably better than average. It's been well care for. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a few more ammenities. Maybe I'm over thinking it and should just go with one of my most used axioms..."it's only money and I'm making more everyday." :oops:

The calculation for me is what would it cost to equip a new or used Grandby shell as compared to the used Grandby in question. If it is clean, in good shape, and doesn't require any major repairs/replacements and has more that what I what/need in it, I'd go for the used Grandby.

What drove me to a new build was I didn't want another project. I wanted the camper to take me away from my projects. The time to build out the shell would be my main driver. The reason I didn't buy used its I didn't want to take the time to look.

At least you won't need to worry about suspension mods to your truck. Good luck!

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a few more amenities. Maybe I'm over thinking it and should just go with one of my most used axioms..."it's only money and I'm making more everyday." :oops:

I like your attitude. Also you'll soon have a camper and will be hitting the road having the fun that money earned for you. :)

It was probably gone in the time it took you to type that post. ;) Joking of course.

I don't know if you're ever going to find a screaming deal on one that isn't in need of a ton of work; If you want that project then wait it out. If you want a camper that is pretty much plug and play then go for this Granby. You have the truck for it, the extra weight over the shell model won't matter. You'll probably find you love the few extra niceties the outfitted Granby offers.

You are over thinking this. Just go for it. If you can afford the cost of it, what is holding you back? It may not around for much longer. As long as it's not a "dump" and you don't have to rebuild the whole thing sounds like a deal.
Frank

It was probably gone in the time it took you to type that post. ;) Joking of course.

Made me LOL. :D

I'll tell the story if it works out. It's been for sale for a while so I'm not too worried about it. I'm waiting on a few more photo's and a couple of questions answered before I leap.

Asking you guys if I should buy it is kinda like asking a drug dealer if I should take another hit. :p

Asking you guys if I should buy it is kinda like asking a drug dealer if I should take another hit. :p

At least you are aware of that! :D

Only 550 miles away? Go take a look. Once you get one trips like that become short jaunts anyways
rolleyes.gif

In my completely unbiased view I say go for it.

I just drove 450 miles for my Grandby, well worth it but mine was in very good condition.

My Hawk was a screamin deal ... but it was 2500 miles away. Sounds like the Grandby is relatively close. I say go for it!!!!

I think a good deal and in close proximity would be like winning the lottery!!!!

Maybe you can make a camping trip out of it on the way home.

the agonizing is part of the fun. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure I know which CL ad your speaking of. If I wasn't set on a 6'5" camper model I would have looked at it already as the condition, amenities, and price all add up to a good deal. (If the less than perfect photos speak true, that is). Keep us posted. I'm curious. And good luck. I currently have an order in with ATC for an Ocelot shell. Needless to say, I'm stoked.

I spent three years looking for a used FWC. Every time I found one, it was either 3000 miles away or already sold by the time I called. I eventually caved and bought a new one. Very happy with it. I'd say, if you found what you are looking for, get it!

Looks like it's a done deal. :cool: I'll need to lift the camper up a little for cab clearance since it was built for a Chev. Need to do some searching on that. It doesn't have jacks so I'll have to deal with that too. I've done some meausuring and I'm going to need some pretty wide extension plates for the front to clear my fat butt. Luckily I won't need the extensions or jacks since the camper is at the shop in Woodland, CA.

Looks like it's a done deal. :cool: I'll need to lift the camper up a little for cab clearance since it was built for a Chev. Need to do some searching on that. It doesn't have jacks so I'll have to deal with that too. I've done some meausuring and I'm going to need some pretty wide extension plates for the front to clear my fat butt. Luckily I won't need the extensions or jacks since the camper is at the shop in Woodland, CA.

Glad to hear you are getting the camper.I am sure someone will comment on lifting the camper to fit over the cab.Others have used 2x4 and plywood to make a platform for the camper to sit on.Seems to work well.
Since it's at the shop ,do you mean FWC?They will be able to work out the raining of the camper to fit over the cab.
Hope you get it all worked out soon,so you can start enjoying your "new" camper.
Frank

Update:

Done! Paid the original owner yesterday and scheduled install for 0800 this Thursday.

In the spirit of adventure and exploring, we'll be pulling an all-nighter to get to the FWC shop. Once the camper is installed we'll head west and pick up Hwy 1 near Bodega Bay and slowly make our way back home. No sense in missing an opportunity to see some country we've never seen before and get a couple nights in, right out of the gate.

I have to say the praise a lot of people give FWC's customer service is well earned and deserved. While I'm buying a used rig in which they really have no stake in, other than it's in the their shop and it belonged to a good customer, they have answered all of my questions and treated me as if I was buying new. I owe Stan for that and will do my best to send some sales his way.

Rich

Congrats. Your route home will be a great getting to know your rig trip with some fantastic scenery.

Update:

Done! Paid the original owner yesterday and scheduled install for 0800 this Thursday.

In the spirit of adventure and exploring, we'll be pulling an all-nighter to get to the FWC shop. Once the camper is installed we'll head west and pick up Hwy 1 near Bodega Bay and slowly make our way back home. No sense in missing an opportunity to see some country we've never seen before and get a couple nights in, right out of the gate.

I have to say the praise a lot of people give FWC's customer service is well earned and deserved. While I'm buying a used rig in which they really have no stake in, other than it's in the their shop and it belonged to a good customer, they have answered all of my questions and treated me as if I was buying new. I owe Stan for that and will do my best to send some sales his way.

Rich

Yes congrats.Glad it worked out for you.Have a nice trip up the coast.Do stop in Pt.Reyes it's a nice place.
Lots of good views along the road north.
Frank

I've had my sights on getting a new or "previously owned" camper somewhere around this time next year. I've been crawling around this site for while searching and just going page by page in the various forums here and asking a few questions. A shell is what I'd likely get due to budget if a used one can't be found.

I see what they are going for on craigslist. Conditions vary of course and the buyers willingness to take on a project. None of them seem to last long on CL or almost any other place so if a guy finds one...you have to jump on it. And of course, you usually have to drive to go get it.

So the other day I had a used Grandby presented to me....it just fell into my lap. It's 550 miles away and from the photos I've seen, it looks to be in good condition...owner says it's like new. It's got a lot more options than a shell has. The more I thought about it, the more I figure it would work....It may work better than a shell. It has the standard stuff in it with a few options. It seems to be on the high end price wise for a camper that is 8 years old. Sure, it's cheaper than new... a few thousand less than a shell and a few more less than a new Grandby.

So what does a guy do when it's not a screaming deal like what appears so many others seem to find? It's not a fixer upper either and for it's age and use...it's probably better than average. It's been well care for. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a few more ammenities. Maybe I'm over thinking it and should just go with one of my most used axioms..."it's only money and I'm making more everyday." :oops:

Back
Top Bottom