Priming the hand water pump

Barko1

Went out for a night and found I had lost prime and couldn't get any water to flow. I bet some of you have good ways to get the water flowing. I didn't really know what to do but I ended up using a turkey baster to "inject" water up the spout and presto, back in business! Is this the usual solution?

On my 2000 Hawk, it can take several full throws of the handle to get water to flow. As I recall, it feels like the furthest back movement of the handle is when I feel pressure on the handle, as if it's doing the priming. I don't remember how many times I have to move the handle, but I will be glad to drain the system and re-prime it, but I wont be able to test for the next few hours. The bottom of my water tank is about 24" below the bottom of my faucet/hand pump.

I don't know if it matters, but because my hand pump lifts water when I pull the handle forward, I leave it in the forward most position as it's resting point.

I thought I read something to keep the handle one way or the other when not in use but of course now I can't find that. I'll try forward, I think it was left in the back position before I lost the prime.

I finished draining and refilling.

On mine, there is a definite detente when I push the handle back. If I move the handle back only as far as the detente, it will not pull any water at all. When I move it past the detente I can feel it priming the pump. It took about 3 full strokes of the handle to get water out of the faucet.

Once it's primed, I can move the handle just a little bit back and forth and get water out.

I hope this helps.

Pump Has "Primed" Position

Leaving the handle in the forward or back position of the pump is supposed to keep it primed. I think it's the back position, but look on the handle side of the pump at the base for embossed text that tells you which one is correct.

When my pump began leaking, I replaced it with a ShurFlo electric faucet. It's a dream and we use less water to boot.

When my pump began leaking, I replaced it with a ShurFlo electric faucet. It's a dream and we use less water to boot.

Did you replace the faucet or just add the electric pump?

On our '04 Hawk, the water comes out as you pull the handle forward. If we leave the handle forward, however, it loses the prime. Push the handle all the way back to hold the prime.

Barko, never have been unable to get it to prime, so I don't know the answer to your first question. But if you keep a turkey baster in your camper, I like the way you eat on the road!

Mine's dual purpose which is what you may have without the electric pump connected. It works as a normal hand pump & if you leave the handle forward it holds the prime but if you leave it back it drains the prime. The purpose for letting the prime drain is so you can flip the switch to the electric pump & like magic - water appears at the spout. The pump is tiny & screwed directly into the tank outlet. Truth be known I usually use the hand pump or the outside spigot as the electric pump is sooo slow.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom