Problem lifting roof.

BillTheHiker

Have lifted roof at least 180 times on my 2016 fleet, but today it was nearly impossible. I carry a ratcheting cargo bar so tried it on rear push board and it lifted it about 6 inches which is usually enough to finish by hand but I couldn't. The bar couldn't either and is rated at 80 lbs. I pushed with all I had and got it 90%. I then tried the front and it was just as hard and got it to about 75%. Went outside to truck stepped on door jam and could reach the top of the roof and was able to push it up the rest of the way with almost no effort. Back in the camper the rear was then easy to finish by pushing the lift panel.

Are the lift struts bad?

Bugs were so bad here in MN that in my haste to get in the camper I slammed the door and immediately checked if any got in, then tried lifting the roof.

I knew better but now have a checklist taped to the lift panel.

Hey Bill

I did that the first night in my camper.....it was around 90 degrees at 9:00 pm and I had driven about 650 miles to pick up camper that day.

We all who have done it are a special ( and honest ) group of campers :D .

Welcome !

David Graves

Bill, look over your roof fit in detail. It is possible to bend the roof if too much force is used. If all your latches were free, I doubt you did any damage.

But, make sure your latches are still in adjustment. My rule for the latch adjustment is with roof down, latched, and no downward pressure. Try to slide the closed latch side to side. It should not slide. Then, at each latch, pull down on the roof. Try to slide the closed latch side to side. It should move slightly. Adjust if needed.

nikonron said:
Was the door closed? I did that once, impossible to raise without somewhere for it to pull air. Ron
Late to the party, but that was going to be my suggestion, too. Ask how I know... :p
I pushed until a part bent...before I figured out that the problem was the vacuum. :rolleyes:

If bugs are bad open the top vent, that should be enough air to lift the roof.

It can be done, but it needs to be done slowly.

On a side note opening the roof vent ahead of time is a good idea.
I've had times where wind etc has closed the back door while lifting the roof. It's not a great position to be in. If the vent is open, you can slowly finish or abort the lift.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Bill, look over your roof fit in detail. It is possible to bend the roof if too much force is used. If all your latches were free, I doubt you did any damage.
But, make sure your latches are still in adjustment. My rule for the latch adjustment is with roof down, latched, and no downward pressure. Try to slide the closed latch side to side. It should not slide. Then, at each latch, pull down on the roof. Try to slide the closed latch side to side. It should move slightly. Adjust if needed.
Thanks Sagebrush. Just checked as you suggested and all is good.

Bill I always close the door and use the fan to pull the air out while lowering.
Just be careful DON"T lower the roof with the door closed without using the fan.
You will pull the little straps off the lift panels 3 front and rear.
You can't see them as they are behind the panels.They pull the liner in as you lower.
Frank

Good suggestions. I have steps I follow when setting up and taking down, but I have to admit, I would not have thought to tell my wife in the event she had taken the camper without me. Making sure the door is open will be on the list!

Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom