Project Fi + Campering locations?

hoyden

Lady Bug
Hi!

Any of you have gone over to Project Fi ?
A couple of coworkers quite like it, but they don't really venture out of town.
Wondering how signal / coverage is when campering.

I have Verizon currently (personal cell) and Sprint on my work cell. Verizon is generally pretty darn good in the West, and Sprint works better I think somewhere in Oklahoma or Kansas. But this Project Fi seems like it might be a great solution for campering and off-the-beaten-path-road trips ... unless it isn't.

They offer a detailed coverage map linked to the web site. Check out coverage where you camp, it doesn't help me, no coverage where I was recently in E. Oregon and N. Nevada "backwoods."

Bill

Yeah, saw the coverage map. Hoping for actual on the ground reports.
There are definitely a lot of places I've camped that have no coverage at all, but I'd rather not lessen my (general) coverage.

I believe Project FI runs on the Sprint network for cell based coverage. When it jumps to WiFi it will be greatly dependent on the WiFi networks capabilities and it's actual throughput to a network hub

It says on the site, "Wi-Fi or one of our partner LTE networks." but I couldn't find what all for networks.
A friend suggested that it picks up whatever cell tower is in range, but I couldn't imagine they'd made a deal with all the carriers.

hoyden said:
It says on the site, "Wi-Fi or one of our partner LTE networks." but I couldn't find what all for networks.
A friend suggested that it picks up whatever cell tower is in range, but I couldn't imagine they'd made a deal with all the carriers.
I see the Network and Coverage portion of the FAQ says partners are Sprint, T-mobile, and US Cellular.

Old Crow said:
I see the Network and Coverage portion of the FAQ says partners are Sprint, T-mobile, and US Cellular.
How'd I miss that? Probably because it's a bazillion degrees here and I barely slept last night. Stoopid heat wave.

Okay, so probably would be good for mid-west travel

In most of Nevada, we seem to be in that "black hole" that exists on every mobile providers coverage maps--I LOVE IT!!!

Peripherally related story: I finally caved in to the pressure from friends and family and got a Straight Talk plan phone. Because they claimed to use the Verizon network, it seemed a low-cost way to go. I live in a canyon that has a Verizon tower and folks with Verizon plans get a signal. The Straight Talk phone doesn't get a signal from that particular tower, so I have to assume that Straight Talk only uses some Verizon towers and not all.

Moral of the story is, don't believe the coverage maps.

I left verizon for project fi in November and have no regrets. We live in Colorado and have camped in CO, UT, AZ, NV and CA with it. I have 3g more than 4g when off the beaten path but I can almost always pick up at least 1x for just voice calls and SMS. I wouldn't hesitate to switch. My only gripe with it is in eastern CO, Nebraska and western Iowa it doesn't want to cooperate with data service because of viaero wireless.

Back
Top Bottom