Project M Campers

I'm not looking, I have a Hawk. I was just pointing out that there is a similar offering in the market that has gained some traction and I was sharing some info that I gained from a OVRLND owner. Also trying to explain why some people like that type of option to retain use of the truck bed.

This type of camper/shell is appealing to me. I still need to use my “truck as a truck” on a regular basis and de-mounting a traditional camper, including storage, would be a major issue. With this “topper”, Modular cabinets/dining/sleeping arrangements can be built and more easily stored in the garage. But as mentioned, price and dust are concerns. I’ve considered several options incl: Callen (currently out of business), aluminum work topper (ARE, Snugtop, etc), and AluCab (wedge limitations, no longbed models, $$$). It would be really nice to be able to stand up when getting out of bed in the morning.

Added edit: I’ve got mixed feelings on retaining the tailgate or going with barn doors.

Never had a tailgate the sealed out the dust. That includes the '88 4runner and the '79 Suburban. To be fair, the '91 Suburban with 'barn doors' didn't seal out the dust either.

On the 4rnnr I'm looking at building an air deflector to push a little air down the back window like 60's-70's station wagons had.

I started a thread on this subject years ago as to whether FWC ever offered such a camper but can't seem to go back that far in my earlier posts search. Does anyone know how to research back more than a few years.

“On the 4rnnr I'm looking at building an air deflector to push a little air down the back window like 60's-70's station wagons had.”

Why I am thinking that earlier 4runners had that as an option? Maybe it was the Pathfinder or Xterra...or maybe it was a mini-van LOL! That would work on my current Leer shell.

I realize that this thread is pretty old but thought it best to keep the Project M discussion here.

I'm awaiting delivery of my M in July. Until then, I'm prepping for the major issue that arises in discussions about these campers, dust intrusion. My truck has a spray-in bed liner so that's taken care of some of the leaks in the seams of the bed. I plan to use liquid Flex Seal to mitigate what's left.

Flex Seal Liquid | Flex Seal Family of Products Official Site (flexsealproducts.com)

Sealing around the tailgate will be the major challenge, I think. For that I plan to use one of the commercial weatherstrip products made for this purpose. Can anyone suggest a product that they've successfully used for this purpose? There are several on the market.

We need to leave room for a crate for a large dog, so our buildup of the interior will have to work around that. I plan on putting down some L track to secure the crate and then cover the floor with a bed mat. That should provide some comfort and some insulation as well.

BedRug Impact Bed Mat | RealTruck

I'll cut some slits in the mat where the fasteners for the L track will come through to secure the crate.

Looking for some experienced opinions on this plan.

TIA.

I think that there are a couple of places where that system would work. Thanks for the lead.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom