Project M - Interior Dust issue, plus M’s pros/cons? Are there any Project M owners on WTW? Thumbs u

Stokeme

Hello … Looking to dial down from a Grandby to a Tacoma/Project M. Have any current M owners tried to prevent dust intrusion, with success, into their Camper? How was the success achieved? In general, can current owners discuss how dust has affected camping, their gear, their sleeping area? How do you keep your living area reasonably clean.
Thanks ahead for any insights shared from experience.

No project M here, but the main reason I did not go with the PM was the tailgate issue. I spent years camping in a shell/topper on my Tundra and the whole time I tried everything to seal the tailgate. Toyota’s are notorious for a leaking tailgate so that is what you need to concentrate on. Hopefully someone has come up with something since I bought my Hawk.

As mentioned by JWL it’s virtually impossible to seal the tailgate. There are gasket/rubber seal products out there that help, and be sure to seal up any openings in the bedsides also. Keeping positive pressure in the enclosed bed area with a small fan pulling air in can really help.

DavidinPhx: it was your setup I had in mind when I mentioned the PPV. Very cool build. I’ve also seen the same type of marine vent with a motorized fan, extra work but possibly worth it if trying to ventilate while stationary.

Appreciate the replies. I have really looked around a bit since initial 10/28 post. I came across David’s Post, independently, on Expedition Portal. The vent looked very interesting as I have read several recommends about creating positive pressure. I am also seriously looking at a Super Pacific X1 topper type shell. This small marine vent might actually fit someplace.
https://www.westmarine.com/lewmar-cabin-hatch-vent-trim-kit-P024_720_004_502.html
I also read about someone using the intake on their Maxxair roof fan, speed 3, to create positive pressure, as MDR mentions above. Any thoughts about that scenario if I went with a Project M & included the optional Maxx vent/fan?
FWC mentioned using a Bed Rug, they have one installed on the Project M display model at the factory. https://bedrug.com/

I used a BedRug in my Dodge and it worked well to seal the bottom of the tailgate area. You’ll still need to seal the vertical edges, the interface between the top of tailgate and bottom of hatch, and the openings under the bed rails. All doable but don’t expect perfection.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
DavidinPhx: it was your setup I had in mind when I mentioned the PPV. Very cool build. I’ve also seen the same type of marine vent with a motorized fan, extra work but possibly worth it if trying to ventilate while stationary.
Thanks MDR, it’s been a fun build, and we’ve loved it.

We do get great flow through ventilation with the PPV while stationary with the Max fan exhausting air out and everything closed up. I thought briefly about putting a 12v computer fan on the PPV, but haven’t found it necessary.

Big fan of the Bedrug also. Makes a huge difference.

I think with good sealing and the Bedrug the passive PPV is enough. With less sealing or where you can’t find all the ingress holes a powered PP fan would probably be needed and would work. I saw the mentioned post about the Maxxair fan blowing in on 3 too, but haven’t tried it.

One other thought:

I’ve found having on board air to be a big help in combating the dust. We’re up in UT red dust a lot and we use the compressor at lunch and upon reaching camp religiously to blast off the rear of the camper and tailgate. Otherwise half of the dust we kept out with the PPV just blows right in when we open the barn door. That stuff is insidious!

I saw that same Project M with the BedRug on display at the FWC factory in California. Looked like a nice and comfortable setup.

I'd love to hear from any PM owners about the amount of dust that actually infiltrates the interior. I'd like my bed not to have dust and dirt in it, but otherwise I don't think I'd mind a bit of dust in the lower area. I'm imagining myself taking a small leaf blower to the area once every couple weeks. I like that it's just an open truck bed that could get a little bit dirty and be cleaned more easily than a traditional slide-in. But that's just hypothesizing - I'd like to hear from actual owners.

I sold my Grandby Shell a few months back. I want to be lighter, more basic & nimble, without an 8’ bed.
Never received any Project M owner feedback with this original post/thread last Fall.
Can any P-M owners share pros/cons through actual experiences?
Sure would appreciate it.

Not an M owner, but I did use a Toyota for years with a shell. The shell I had (rather basic) sealed decently up top, but the tailgate let in dust. You've got a couple drains in the bed too usually. And when the rear is up in the rain inevitably some water is more likely to get in. I had stuff in the rear that blocked some dust, and at times even duct taped the tailgate, but basically the rear was a much more open environment than a slide in. Worked fine for me; I did dirty stuff anyway. Sort of like a dusty campsite. I put bedding away, stuff was in containers or duffles, etc.

In some ways the dust intrusion on my camper van was more annoying, since it got in anyway and there was much more stuff like seats, upholstery, counter tops, etc that collected it.

Hope you get more info.

Appreciate the couple replies so far. Yeah, I’m a utuber for research across the board … solar, home repair, off-roading, etc. Hoping to hear direct from some WTW folks about their life experiences with a Project M.

This topic comes up constantly, recommend joining the Project M group on Facebook. I have had my Project M on since I got it in Sept. 21. Dust is no different than my house honestly. I have a bed rug and I put tailgate gasket on and it's not an issue. I've driven lots and lots of gravelly back roads etc.

Back
Top Bottom