Project Wapiti - A 199x? Hawk Rebuild

Laramieskibum

Time to contribute. Long time lurker, this forum has provided a lot of inspiration and photos that are helping me a lot. So I'm paying it forward and will probably ask some advise along the way.

Photos coming soon, to busy with camper for now. Give me sometime to develop this thread.

Objective
Light weight, minimalist hunting/camping/boating/road trip truck camper. Jeep tj to be towed when warranted for harder to reach areas close to camp, and to make day trips. Must fit 6.5' bed, f-150 Screw at the moment, maybe a 2005-2008 powerwagon in the future.

Found
1992-1994 Hawk, rode hard, but never put away wet. Zero water damage. Apparently a south west native. Found in Phoenix Arizona and recovered on a 1,900 mile round trip pickup run. Furnace, 120/12v/gas fridge, original soft sides, but new lift panels (score!). Noted lift panels were replaced using screws not rivits (not a factory job, noticing there may be interfearance from screws upon closing. Orginal couch bed included but dismantled in favor of storage and portapotty platform by previous owner.

Pics here

Required repairs

Broken and cracked welds
Found cracked siding at the front window surrounds and more severely at the bottom trim pieces. Indicative of a broken frame. Indeed 9 different welds broke in the front of the camper, below window sill. No sign of trama. Wear and tear (flex) and I wonder if it was used off truck with no support while on jack stands.

Entry door frame apparently sufferered trama , multiple repair jobs on the door, told me the frame was also compromised here. Door removed, welds cracked.

While cleaning out the camper in the cover of the garage, the garage door was opened, ripping the pristine, never leaked, original roof like a can opener. 4' rip, down to the pristine fabric....guess a new roof is in order....fabric some day too...

Planned upgrades / mods
-rear view camera, wired to factory harness for use on truck already enabled for factory tailgate camera. on the cheap, no greater than $50 total
-seamless roof install, .032 thick aluminum sheet with 3m Cv45f tape
-new siding on all corners
-solar (low priority ATM)
-remove original working fridge, use space for truck fridge and/or cooler
-paint camper to match truck (low priority since now new siding is required, might keep it white for awhile)
-insulated platform for high bed/cab fords, to include mount for backup camera
-new entry door from atc or fwc, old one is shot

More pics and descriptions to follow, tear down is complete and she is going back to together. Seamless roof is treads item, trimmed, and ready for 3m commercial vehicle tape, but it's too cold to stick. Later in the week hopefully. Prepping the surfaces is all that's left.

Siding purchased and ready for install, later this week (roof has priority).

Maiden shake down deadline is this Saturday, so the roof and siding must get done by then

Welcome and looking forward to the pics. Bummer about tearing the roof like that. That will add a bit of work, though it sounds like you are doing a down to the frame rebuild anyway. Since the door frame is shot, I recommend getting one with the screen door. It is a different frame than the door without a screen door. Good luck with this project.

Welcome and looking forward to the pics. Bummer about tearing the roof like that. That will add a bit of work, though it sounds like you are doing a down to the frame rebuild anyway. Since the door frame is shot, I recommend getting one with the screen door. It is a different frame than the door without a screen door. Good luck with this project.

thanks!

Advice taken, door w/ screen ordered from Marty at ATC, most helpful guy.

As for down to the frame restore: first phase is exterior only, interior wasn't bad to start with.

Today, since it is too cold for the 3m tape for the roof we are insulating the camper with pink foam (r-5). How cool is it that I come home from work and the wife is insulating the camper?!

Looking forward to seeing this one! Our campers are very similar. I would HIGHLY recommend solar if you are going with a 12V fridge. Probably my best upgrade I did. I would move that one up the list. :D

<snip> How cool is it that I come home from work and the wife is insulating the camper?!

Pretty darn cool! :)

Thanks for sharing your project with us. Looking forward to photos.

Looking forward to seeing this one! Our campers are very similar. I would HIGHLY recommend solar if you are going with a 12V fridge. Probably my best upgrade I did. I would move that one up the list. :D

Your build was highly influential - you have helped me a lot, thanks for sharing the things you've done.

I am pre-wiring for solar, reason I have it low priority is that we are in a high desert here. We should only see a handful of 90f degree days in a summer. I am stoked for solar someday, I hate generators (but admit to owning one). Refridgerator would rock for antelope hunts though.....humm..truck 'fridge looks ligit?

-Backup camera ordered, I'll share details.
-insulation is 50% done
-first panel of new siding should go on tonight. I'll share the source: The Metal Company, Arvada, CO. Awesome service, good price.Roof (seamless and thicker than oem), all siding (5 sheets), $500.00 ( did not ship it, very expensive to ship). Order completed 3 days after phone call.

Ski3pin - your site is an inspiration as well. I am a recovering ski bum.

Maiden voyage is this weekend, better get on it I guess. Yellowstone bound.

Would have up the roof on today but we have not seen temps above 60 for several days. Looks like Thursday maybe.

Back
Top Bottom