Promised '05 Tundra & '16 Hawk Axle and GVW Weights

Wallowa

Double Ought
Some time ago I said that I would weigh my Tundra truck and FWC Hawk then post the weights.

First our Hawk had almost every option possible. The FWC shipping weight listed on the "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" was = 1,475 lbs.

Truck is a 2005 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 Limited; tires Toyo Open Country A/T II C Range 48 lbs each. It has all OEM cold weather and towing options. Line-X bed coating.

These items are in addition to the Hawk's shipping weight listed above:

26 gallons water
26 gallons gasoline
80 w portable solar panel
Firestone RideRite airbags
Hellwig anti-sway bar
Curt 2" front hitch receiver
Q-Towers/Yak wind deflector and 1/2 plywood cargo platform above cab with about 45 lbs of gear.
30 feet 3" recovery strap
Hi-Lift 48" jack and accessories
25 feet grade 70 3/8" recovery chain
Approx 150 lbs of misc gear

Front Axle = 2,920 lbs
Rear Axle = 3,780 lbs
Total Combo Weight = 6,860 lbs
I have no idea why the axle weights do not add up to the total weight; perhaps truck was not placed on scale evenly when I weighed the individual axle weights.

The advertised Toyota GVW for my truck is 6,300 lbs so I am 560 lbs over that "limit"...that is no concern for me and I will be adding a couple of hundred pounds on extended trips. :D

Hope this answer questions for those of you with Hawks and first generation Tundra trucks.

Phil

Note: I removed the back seats and belt hardware; Rubbermaid containers on this platform for storage.
Plus the tailgate was removed and jacks are not mounted on the camper.

Thanks - one of these days I do intend to weigh my 05 Tundra and Ocelot.

Phil
Axle weights don't add up because whether front or rear weight includes a little bit of the middle on each end.

Even though your combo weight is over your Gross weight. The rating on the axles is probably very close to your actual weight. Check your door sticker for axle ratings.

So I wouldn't worry about the axles. I would be more concerned about the tires.

Our 2013 Tacoma rated axle weights are Front: 2755 pounds. Rear 3,110 pounds with P265/70/R16 tires. The total weight 5,865 pounds. 365 pounds over rated gross.(5500 pounds). Our all up weight for a week in the desert with full tanks and the "Hi-Lift" on its bracket in the front receiver is 5900 pounds (No people).

P series tires (I believe) are C rated. Depending on the manufacture Max tire load probably around 2,500 pounds per tire at 44 psi (Hankook P series tire chart)

We useHankook DynaPro ATM - LT265/75/R16 "E" rated 10 ply. Max load 3,415 pounds per tire at 80 psi. We run them at 36 psi loaded. 25-28 in the desert off-road. Running half the max tire preasure lowers the rated load per tire though I don't know by how much.
Four Wheel recommends "E" rated tires with their campers.

RC Pilot,

Yes, when my Toyo "C" rated tires need replacing, probably a long time from now judging from previous Toyo tires, I plan to bump up to E rated. Hate to add more unsprung weight, but flats or torn sideways are much more of a concern. Carrying a suitable spare is a whole other problem.

FYI: My Toyo tires are rated at 2,470 lbs @ 50 psi.

Phil

Ps.. People count. :D

Pps..36 psi? More pressure = fewer flats... but of course stiffer ride. We are running the max; 50 psi.

Back
Top Bottom