Propane compartment question

Propane bottles have pressure relief valves that will cause them to vent rather than explode. Turns them into a blow torch, but no explosion.

Lee

I kept mine locked using the factory lock that came with the door. Never had a problem in all the miles we traveled, until Port Angeles our new home.
Parked in the public lot between 1st and Front street and someone pop the door and took one of my cylinders. Crime of opportunity, I'm sure they were hoping for more than propane tanks behind the door that was easily opened. Now I pad lock it!

FYI, I see a lot FWC's traveling the Peninsula, Port Angeles in particular, be aware that we do have a auto break in problem at trail heads and in town. :mad:

Safe Travels!

Power Wagon said:
Propane bottles have pressure relief valves that will cause them to vent rather than explode. Turns them into a blow torch, but no explosion.

Lee

No belly bumping from me...and yes, they can release propane when overheated/over pressurized but the propane released can pool/collect and explode...rapid combustion in a confined container/space = explosion...ask firemen if they plan for an explosion with a fire near a propane tank...hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

But hey, I could be wrong and to each their own.. :D This topic is much about nothing.

Phil

Timothy McGowen said:
Much appreciated it can be done safely.
I've had my share of emergency training dealing with chemical spills, etc. Firemen don't go up to RV's on fire with propane tanks inside.
They stay at a safe distance and use a fire monitor until the fire is out. THAT is the safe way to deal with the issue at hand.

Captm said:
I kept mine locked using the factory lock that came with the door. Never had a problem in all the miles we traveled, until Port Angeles our new home.
Parked in the public lot between 1st and Front street and someone pop the door and took one of my cylinders. Crime of opportunity, I'm sure they were hoping for more than propane tanks behind the door that was easily opened. Now I pad lock it!

FYI, I see a lot FWC's traveling the Peninsula, Port Angeles in particular, be aware that we do have a auto break in problem at trail heads and in town. :mad:

Safe Travels!
CG?

Power Wagon said:
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
You are absolutely correct. I find it interesting what others say fireman do and don't do and why. But then again I'm biased, just retired after 40 years in the fire service.

We must have started around the same time. I retired nine years ago after 32 years in the fire service ...

and I ain't no Fireman! (never worked for the railroad)

That "fireman" comment could start quite a conversation.

You might be surprised by the terms, equipment, traditions from the railroad that made it into the fire service.

I remember when everyone had to turn in their "fireman" badges.

Back
Top Bottom