Propane leak resolution

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Originally posted in the blog:

After owning my camper for about 4 months a problem developed with my propane system. The propane alarm started going off whenever the propane tank valve was open and the door to the camper was open. The popane detector is very close to the tank when the camper door is open. Upon closer inspection, I found that when the propane tank valve was open, the smell of propane at the tank grew over time. There was obviously a problem here.

I had the tank and the fittings next to the tank (hose, regulator) checked for leaks several times and no leaks were identified. I then went to a local RV dealer and had them check my entire propane system for leaks. Again, no leaks were found.

Back to the issue of the propane smell around the tank. All the people I had inspect the tank had differing opinions on whether it was normal to have a propane smell at the open valve. I was frustrated by the lack of professionalism in that there wasn’t one person I went to that was confident enough (or cared to take the time) to say “no that is definately not normal” and suggest an actual course of action. “I dunno” is the best advice I could get.

Finally I just bought a new propane tank and that seems to have solved the problem. I’d like to thank the people at my local Amerigas for spending a fair amount of time with me in trouble shooting this problem. Ultimately they were the only ones that helped.

So for the record:

It is NOT normal to have a strong smell of propane at the tank valve!

I also should note that I am not very happy with Four Wheel Campers support. I have sent them a few emails since I got the camper and the responses come in 1 to 2 weeks, if at all. There were a few questions I had about the problem I was having and timely responses from them would have helped me in this process. I know they have the ability to answer emails because they were very prompt in replying during the sales process. After the sale however, I am lucky to get a response at all. Great campers, support needs some work.

Hmm, I'm having this problem as well. But even when propane tank is off. I open up that compartment and I smell a faint hint of propane. I have replaced the regulator, put plumbers tape at all attachments and still that smell. I was going to replace the plastic hose nest. I suppose a new tank wouldnt hurt.

I had both tanks filled before our recent trip to southern nevada. Air temp was about 35-40 deg at filling. We live around 5000ft and where we went was a lot lower and warmer. After using 4 wheel drive and bouncing down a wash and dirt tracks with the Casita I noticed propane smell. I believe the gas was expanding due to elevation drop and air temp raise, and having the tanks bouncing around pretty good. My smell did go away after a couple of days.

James check the screw on the side of the valve, sometimes the person filling might not tighten this screw. A heavy soapy water coating might be able to find such a small leak, but even a very small leak you can smell the additive and not find the leak. The valve is screwed into the tank and could not be sealed proper. check there.

DD glad you got you's solved........A L O N G T I M E comming for you!

DD glad you got you's solved........A L O N G T I M E comming for you!

Actually this is an old post describing a problem i had with my first FWC about 4 years ago. I'm still suspicious of my current propane setup :unsure:

I had a new tank last weekend that leaked at the fitting where the regulator screwed in. The supplier just swapped another tank for me and all was fine. That smell can linger for quite a while. I have a regulator for dual tanks that has not been used for years and put it in the cab to deliver it to my buddy, and the smell was quite strong.

One thing to keep in mind on propane tanks is I believe the valve as the be fully open or fully closed to seal up around the valve stem. If its in between you can get leakage.

Simple solution!!!
Get diesel appliances :LOL:
I know of a European US based manufacturer who can hook you up..... :p

Talk to them about making them much more affordable. :D

I should point out this post is almost 5 years old and while I wasn't happy with FWC's response at that time, I believe their customer service has improved since.

DirtyDog,

Did changing your tank clear up most of your problems?

It fixed the leaking at the tank valve and the related problem with the propane alarm going off (this was all on my first camper). I have not been able to clear up all the propane issues with my current camper.

I'm having this issue now. 2010 Grandby. Alarms and smell of propane in the propane storage area. I've used gas leak check to test the lines and fittings. Can someone explain how the check the regulator?

Can you replace the rubber gasket on the tank valve?

Bryan

Yes you can. Probably have to visit a propane dealer to get the gasket. If you have a set of picks it will make it easier. Reminds me, I should fix mine. Its so small and right by the tank that I keep ignoring it.

Its unlikely the gasket is the issue for most folks. I had a few go out on forklifts but those were changed out daily. My own leak is on a piece I customized myself. Where the nipple goes into the adapter. I knew it was iffy when I did the install.
propinst.jpg

Its unlikely the gasket is the issue for most folks. I had a few go out on forklifts but those were changed out daily. My own leak is on a piece I customized myself. Where the nipple goes into the adapter. I knew it was iffy when I did the install.
propinst.jpg

Thanks.

The RV technician in town said his experience was that the regulators often leak. I just don't seem to be able to locate one. Any opinions?

Attachments

• PB200076.JPG
    PB200076.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 140

Back
Top Bottom