Propane smell

DYNOBOB

Getting ready to roll to AK in a week so I'm testing all the systems. I've noticed since we picked the Hawk up in Feb that there is a smell of propane in the tank storage compartment. Not overpowering but noticeable. My tanks spend 99% of their time with the valves shut so I can't figure why the odor. I sprayed the fittings w/ soapy water but see no bubbles. Is this normal or is there something common I should check? Thanks

What kind of tank and how full? Any chance it is venting? I thought the new OPD tanks were 'impossible' to overfill but if it was topped off when it was cold, and now its summer, maybe the tank itself letting of pressure?

I have an occasional smell in mine also with all the valves closed, don't know why but have never smelled propane in the cabin an I've spent a lot of days in my 2015 Hawk this spring and summer.

I don't think it's unusual to have faint propane smell in the box or around the tanks. We have it on the travel trailer and Northern Lite on occasion. As the old chestnut goes... Nothing lingers like a bad odor. Propane seems to hang on for a while, in particular after disconnecting a line.

Edit: if it's a strong propane smell that doesn't disapate, it's time to get the soapy water out to find the source.

My camper had a hairline crack in one of the brass fittings between the tank and regulator. Took a few tries with the soapy water spray bottle to track it down. Once I had the new part it was a five minute fix.

They're the 10lb stock tanks for the 2010 Hawk. Hadn't thought about venting, it is 90+ here and the one full tank was filled when it was 60 out. What's a bit concerning is I thought the tank that was hooked up had a fair amt in it when last used, turns out it was nearly empty yesterday. The valve has been shut for last several months (since last used). Could be I used more than I thought on last outing..

No smell in the camper.

Think I'll make another pass w/ the soapy water.

In July, I noticed a faint smell for the first time in my tank compartment as well. But no warning from the sensor in the camper.

I believe the odor is venting due to both elevation (from sea level to over 11,000' and back to sea level in July) and temperature change since the tanks were filled in early spring.

I have always had a faint smell of propane in the box. I think it is residue. Never any evidence of the smell outside of that box.

Even with the valves closed I'll occasionally get a faint whiff of propane when I open the box but have never had the detector go off. I'm assuming it has something to do with the tanks being filled at low temps and now it's around 100 daily here in Sacto. Also noticed last week on our trip up to 11,600 feet in the White Mountains and various other higher elevation nights in between.

I'll worry if the detector goes off, that's for sure.

I don't pretend to know the "correct" procedure to open the propane tank, but this link discusses the issue. There is a statement that a partially opened valve can have leakage. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101127161635AAjgMvP

With oxy-acetylene, you open the oxygen valve all the way but the acetylene valve only 1/4 turn or so.

It was a surprise to not find this issue discussed on a number of BBQ grill & propane tank vendor sites.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom