Propane Storage Build Out

DS

I'm new to the site and FWC. I've bought a eagle shell. I've been working on it and my truck for a little while now. I'm trying to figure out a good way to build out a cabinet for the propane tank while providing whatever safety requirements should be taken. Anyone have any photos or ideas? I'm planning on using a regular upright 5 gallon tank but could be persuaded if there is a compelling reason. Thanks.

If you run into space problems there are smaller tanks than the typical 5 gallon (?) bbq tanks available. I was in Sportsmans Warehouse the other day and saw they carried ~3 gal tanks and ~2 gal tanks whose diameter is less than the fatboy bbq tanks. They were priced at ~$60 each which is way too expensive tho'. I use two of the 3 gal tanks which only cost ~$33 at a local propane supply shop.

In a motorhome I refurbished a few years ago I had a sheet metal/HVAC shop make me a cheapo metal box (with one face missing) for the propane tank. I installed an exterior hatch from ebay and added a small exterior vent and sealed everything with caulk. I think this is the way things are supposed to be done. I originally considered an exterior mount but I recall seeing a thread somewhere that exterior tanks are now illegal in places.

You might want to check with FWC or Ben at ATC and see about the possibility of the furnace cabinet option without the furnace if all you need is a tank and cabinet.

My rig is a Falcon shell (doghouse) which is shorter than the pickup bed. The space between the camper and tailgate is perfect for 2 propane tanks, a genset, and gas can.

Rob

DS,

Welcome to the group, I'm sure we'll all be interested in pictures of your build when you get around to posting them. All the best.

propane box

DS,

The basic concept to putting a propane tank in the camper is that needs to be sealed in such a way that if the tank was to leak that the propane is unable to enter the camper.

We use a simple sheet metal box that once in installed is sealed so that no vapors can get into the camper. Of course the access to this is through an outside door.

I can think of a number of ways this could be done. Since you stated that had an Eagle shell, the frame is actually built for a lay down type of tank to be installed. The opening for the box to be inserted into the frame is 14 3/8 by 14 3/8. The box that would normally be put into the opening has an outside measurment of 14 1/4 x 14 1/4 with a lip on the outside to screw though and into the frame to hold it into place.

Give us a call when you get a chance and I can go over this in more detail.

Back
Top Bottom