Propane System for Grandby Shell

NWCamper

Advanced Member
Currently building out my Grandby Shell. I know virtually nothing regarding propane systems but here is what I am planning to do:

10# bulk tank stored inside the camper. It will be housed in a bench/cabinet in the forward/passenger corner on the floor. It could be vented to the truck bed in this location if necessary. I plan to use the propane inside the camper to run a cook stove inside (occasionally) and same cook stove outside under the awning mounted on the passenger side. I would also run a Wave 3. I want to keep this as simple as possible. I will not be sleeping with the Wave 3 on. I will always properly ventilate the camper while using both the Wave 3 and Cook Stove indoors. I will install a propane leak detector. My thought is running a three way tee off the bulk tank. One hose runs toward the rear and exits to the passenger side for use outdoors under the awning. One hose runs through my kitchen cabinet on the drivers side and up through the counter for use via cook stove indoors. Third hose runs through kitchen cabinet and stored beneath ice box cabinet to hook up wave 3 either mounted above door on the lift panel or on the floor on legs.

What do you think? Do I need a regulator? Do I need caps for the hoses when not in use or valve to shut off supply to such hoses when not in use? Any other concerns? Let me have it. Thanks

I don't like the sound of that location. These tanks DO leak and should probably be in a sealed box with outside access and venting like the ones that are installed in the factory. Propane is the one thing that you don't want to get too creative with. Keep it simple and keep it safe.

You might be able to locate a small tank outside of the camper, in the truck bed, via an access port? Don't know what sort of room you have in your set up.?? Or on the back of the camper, less a hazard there than carrying an extra gas can as many do. I wouldn't worry about running the Wave at night, I've done it 100X I'm sure. You do need a regulator, and while putting it all together I'd put a valve on each line. I wouldn't imagine running the 3 lines would be an issue, my toyhauler has 4 lines. It has a line to an external cookstove but I never use it, prefer to set the stove up on the camp table and use a small can of propane. My Wave connects to a flexible line/BBQ type, which allows me to move it around a bit in the camper, sometimes on the floor, sometimes on the rear counter out of the way of the door. Be sure not to use the flexible lines that are primarily used for gas dryers. That stuff flexes but is not intended for repeated flexing and will bust.

Thanks Barko. I'll look into the regulator and valve setup. Not sure what I will do for the tank location. Putting it in the bed is a good thought but honestly I dont see how it would be much different than where I planned on putting it. Propane is heavy and would exit the camper through the vent if the alarm didnt alert me for some reason. I would shut off the main valve when not in use. As long as Im diligent on checking it often, I dont think its going to be a big issue. Installing a cabinet through the side of the shell is not workable for me and would cost more than my whole setup. I dont have the space anyway with my current cabinet setup. Good to know the rest of my plan will work though.

NW,

I am planning on having my propane tank inside the camper. Unlike in a boat, a propane leak in a camper is easy to deal with. And the chance for a leak from lines and fittings inside the camper is just as great as it is from the tank connection. (Ask how I know :( )

I will also be closing the main valve from the tank when it is not in use, and I plan to use one of the turnbuckle doors as a vent when the tank is in use.

I do think that the regulator might breath out a little propane. But it is a very small amount and with a vent at floor level I am not worried. Can also open the camper door and the propane would "flow" out.

My take:

Build a sealed box around your propane tank, you could still have an access hatch to it from inside if you wanted, just use a decent gasket/cam latch setup to seal it back up. Vent it to the outside. Aside from the obvious safety concern of propane leaks it also stinks, I wouldn't want to be getting whiffs of propane inside my rig...

You need a regulator for running most camping appliances and should ideally use a 2-stage. They are cheap and a local RV place will have them (also available online obviously).

Each hose branch should be valved, that valve can be in the device itself you're connecting to if the line is considered "hard piped" (ie you're not undoing the connection). If you're taking things on and off of it the valve should be on the line, something has to turn the gas off in it when nothing is connected.

Whatever "hose" you are using make sure it's up to the task.

Build a sealed box around your propane tank, you could still have an access hatch to it from inside if you wanted, just use a decent gasket/cam latch setup to seal it back up. Vent it to the outside. Aside from the obvious safety concern of propane leaks it also stinks, I wouldn't want to be getting whiffs of propane inside my rig...

Which leads to the obvious question "why?". The factory placements for the tanks are done that way for a reason and I don't know why it makes sense to mess with something that is setup that way for multiple good and important reasons.

IMO Home Skillets placement is a good idea. It frees up room inside the camper and keeps the tank outside. You could even build an external box high up on the back (like where people put there backup fuel cans) if you didn't want the tank exposed to the elements.

Which leads to the obvious question "why?". The factory placements for the tanks are done that way for a reason and I don't know why it makes sense to mess with something that is setup that way for multiple good and important reasons.

IMO Home Skillets placement is a good idea. It frees up room inside the camper and keeps the tank outside. You could even build an external box high up on the back (like where people put there backup fuel cans) if you didn't want the tank exposed to the elements.

I wouldn't call it an obvious question, I personally have no desire to mount a propane tank on the exterior wall of a camper. I don't like the aesthetics and I think it opens up the tank/regulator/hose to damage and/or people messing with it. A box would reduce the damage/people messing with it issue but goes back to aesthetics. If was going to mount the tank externally I'd be looking at putting it under the truck bed but then it wouldn't go with camper when you take the camper off.

My recommendation about the sealed box was because the OP was talking about having an tank internally and I think if you put it internally it should be in a sealed box. I was also pointing out that it doesn't automatically mean you need an external access hatch if your rig isn't setup to accommodate one.

I appreciate the internal/external debate but I dont think the external option is going to work for me even if it might ultimately be the safest bet. My Grandby is on a short box and probably always will be so my build focuses on putting all of the weight as far forward as possible. I really dont like the idea of hanging anything off the back and creating more penetrations into the exterior walls in addition to aesthetics. That being said, I certainly want to be safe. I can seal the box that the bulk tank will be located in and vent it. One question with that is how could I keep it sealed and still run flexible distribution lines to other areas of the camper?

I wouldn't call it an obvious question, I personally have no desire to mount a propane tank on the exterior wall of a camper. I don't like the aesthetics and I think it opens up the tank/regulator/hose to damage and/or people messing with it. A box would reduce the damage/people messing with it issue but goes back to aesthetics. If was going to mount the tank externally I'd be looking at putting it under the truck bed but then it wouldn't go with camper when you take the camper off.

My recommendation about the sealed box was because the OP was talking about having an tank internally and I think if you put it internally it should be in a sealed box. I was also pointing out that it doesn't automatically mean you need an external access hatch if your rig isn't setup to accommodate one.

Mounting it externally was just an option I added to my original point which was why have a tank that is accessed inside the camper when there are so many reasons not to do it that way. The standard factory placement makes most sense IMO, whether its in the back like FWC or on the side like ATC.

I appreciate the internal/external debate but I dont think the external option is going to work for me even if it might ultimately be the safest bet. My Grandby is on a short box and probably always will be so my build focuses on putting all of the weight as far forward as possible. I really dont like the idea of hanging anything off the back and creating more penetrations into the exterior walls in addition to aesthetics. That being said, I certainly want to be safe. I can seal the box that the bulk tank will be located in and vent it. One question with that is how could I keep it sealed and still run flexible distribution lines to other areas of the camper?

Again an external placement was just an option I threw out there, not my primary recommendation. If you want everything forward why not put the tank in a standard sealed box with external access above the bed wall like ATC does? I've put a lot of thought into camper design and I just can't conclude that an internally accessed propane tank is a good idea at all. I've had a fair number of propane troubles, one of which was leakage at the propane tank valve. No way I want a tank inside my camper.

To me if you have a proper door/gasket on the internal access hatch I think it makes it a mute point whether the hatch is on the interior or exterior granted you do have a vent going outside still. Things are going to take the path of least resistance and aren't going to force past a sealed up gasket. However if you can do an external hatch I think it's a more foolproof route. I've got an external hatch on my build. I just wanted to point out you can have a box isolated from the interior w/o necessarily putting in an exterior hatch.

No matter how you access your sealed box you'll probably want to use hard piping for the portion that passes through the box and seal it up well on both sides, go to flexible afterward if that is your plan. Again the gas will take the path of least resistance if you have a vent. Off hand not knowing what you'd construct your box out of I'd say use are strong/long lasting caulk to seal it up, the 3M 5200 is used elsewhere on the camper and is considered a "permanent" caulk. There are other options obviously but I'm just tossing out one suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on specific regulators, tees, valves etc. or sources? I will keep exploring the tank location. If I go internal rest assured the box will be sealed as good or better than anything from the factory.

I wouldn't want an internal propane tank in my camper. Everytime you change the tank some propane is released...and I hate that smell. Several folks on this site have had problems with leaky propane systems. Why take the chance?

I like the factory external location.

It would essentially be the same when sealed properly. Why? Better space efficiency, lighter, cheaper, and I dont have to cut a giant hole in the camper. I live in a wet climate and the camper is stored outdoors. I want to keep the camper exterior as seamless as possible.

For the regulator just use a basic 2 stage regulator as I mentioned before, you can get them at any local RV parts place for under $20. Valves and such I'd say depend more on whatever the "hose" was you're trying to connect to. In general I'd be looking at some basic gas rated ball valves. Homedepot likely carries something but if not something like part number 48915K61 in http://www.mcmaster.com would probably do you fine. This is a threaded valve. If you were using flare tubing you can get valves with those fittings as well.

Regulator:
propane-regulator-rv.jpg

Any progress NWCamper?
I'm curious as to how you did/will mount the exterior valve. My heater died, so I yanked it -gaining alot of extra space as well as shaving a considerable amount of weight. I plan to use that propane line as an exterior access point. I'm going to use a quick connect fitting but haven't yet figured a good way to securely mount it.
Hope your project is going well. Maybe a build thread in the future?

Back
Top Bottom