Propane Tank Placement in Shell

CRob

Hey guys,

I got the Bobcat shell that does not have the vented propane compartment. I have a 5 lb tank and a wave 3 (I have yet to use it). The 5 lb tank, standing up, will fit under the coach. Ihave been thinking of making a compartment around one of the turnbuckle ports (see pic please). I had thought of finding a vent that I could mount on a piece of wood that woudl fit the same piece that's currently on the turnbuckle port. Has anyone done something like this? Or does anyone have any tips or things I shoudl think about that I might be missing.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 154
I would contact ATC and see if they have any specific ideas or concerns. I think that there are specific gas codes that cover RV installations.
Dsrtrat

Propane, being heavier than air (.5 kg/L vs. .00001225 kg/L @ 15°C), ideally wants venting in the floor that the tank is sitting on.

Look up Seaward propane lockers, it will show you what needs to be done, basically build a sealed compartment with a fitting that can be vented outside the truck.

Hey guys, I know this is kind of an older thread, but I've got a Four Wheel Grandby shell and was planning something very similar with an 11 lb pancake tank. Has anyone ever used the port holes as ventilation? I know on the stock campers, they are not vented at the floor but rather through louvered doors. By my reckoning, I think if you were to build a sealed five sided with a latching top and some kind of a rubber gasket around the top, then seal the five sides to the camper and leave the 6th side going out the port hole, it should work, right? I'll be looking into this a little more in the next couple weeks so I'll try to keep everyone updated.

Cheers,

Dylan

Back
Top Bottom