Propane usage for Fridge?

tk254254

Advanced Member
Hey, we got our propane fridge working fine. My question is how much propane they typically go through. We only have a 2 gallon propane tank so if we're out for a week or so it would be nice to be able to plan accordingly.

Thanks

I ran mine on propane for 2weeks on high and seemed to only use a few gallons if I recall, don't have better numbers or a way to double check that other than memory.

Oh, so they really don't take much propane at all.

Am I okay running the fridge on propane on the highway? (currently no 12v connection to vehicle)

Everyone has their own opinion. Personally I am fine with it and I used a pilot relighter on it (there are posts around this site on how to do it) and ran it that way for a 3000mi road trip. Without the relighter it may blow out on you. The thermocouple will shutoff the propane if that happens so no worries on leaking but you'll loose cooling action, not always a big deal if short driving stints and then making sure it gets lit again.

For those coming to Canada, having the propane on is legal is some provinces but not others. Here's the link with the details: Provincial RV Regulations

From personal experience, I would recommend turning the propane fridge off while coming across the Canadian border (or returning to the US). Heat sensors at the border depots look for hot spots thinking you may be smuggling people. This leads to a thorough snooping around the camper. A very nice US Border Agent explained this to me after looking in every nook and cranny in my trailer. After finishing his search he asked me if the propane fridge was on. It was :p

If your going to run the fridge on propane, just remember to shut it off before putting gas in tank. ( Open Flame ]
The fridge will perform the best when burning propane Hope this helps!

The only thing I thought might be good to add to this thread (someone probably did and I missed it) is how much propane you use depends a lot on what the temperature is where you are. The warmer it is, the longer the refrigerator will be on. So someone who camps at a cool location with the camper in the shade is going to get more days out of the propane than someone who ends up in the sun and the temperatures are warm. And how often you open it, add beers, etc etc.

When driving, the refrigerators don't work as well as when stopped so how much you are traveling affects propane usage.

Steve

The last 2 trips, 1st was middle of May and 2nd was 1st of June. The trip in May I had overloaded the frig and had the door pop open while I was traveling. I had a problem keeping the frig in the safe zone after that happened, temps were in the upper 70s. The 2nd trip the temps were in the low 80s, I could just keep the frig at the top of the safe zone. The 1st time I tried running the frig on AC on the way to the camp and on the 2nd trip ran it on Propane. When I was at the campsite I ran on propane with the setting for frig on high and ran the heat exhaust fan during the day and would turn off the fan once it got dark. I am going for 1 week starting tomorrow, I am going to run the frig on propane and run the exhaust fan on the way up to the camp and run the exhaust fan up until just before I go to bed. I hope this will keep my frig colder. I did notice that the exhaust fan really does help keep the frig colder. I did run out of propane on one of the 3 gal bottles on the last night of the 2nd trip, I was using the heater at night a bit the first trip.

The only thing I thought might be good to add to this thread (someone probably did and I missed it) is how much propane you use depends a lot on what the temperature is where you are. The warmer it is, the longer the refrigerator will be on. So someone who camps at a cool location with the camper in the shade is going to get more days out of the propane than someone who ends up in the sun and the temperatures are warm. And how often you open it, add beers, etc etc.

When driving, the refrigerators don't work as well as when stopped so how much you are traveling affects propane usage.

Steve

What fridge do you have? The one I've got you just set the flame on high, medium, or low and it uses the same propane regardless of temps, opening/closing, etc.

My recollection stated above was with it set on high, that is where I run it unless stuff starts freezing, which really never seemed to occur for me.

Steve

He is right about that (outside temps), me, I have two 3 gal tanks-bought and extra one to carry on those long trips or stays! I use the propane for the 3way frig, hot water heater and stove and it seems that one tank lasts about a week before i need to fill it or use the other one. Again I try to cook outside allot, spot use the heater and try not to use the thermostat to regulate the heat during those winter nights-I have a arctic blanket so I retain my heat pretty good-though I have ran the thermo all night once before without the blanket up and used a 1/2 tank of propane and the thing turning off on on all night kept me awake! Also, I run the 3 way on batt. when on the Highway! My solar takes care of the lights, fan and in an emergency it covered the frig when the propane went on the blink, kept my beer cold but, not lost the stuff in the freezer! That help the decission!

Smoke

He is right about that (outside temps)

Not in regards to the fridge unless the newer models have an automatic flame adjustment. It would be applicable for heater usage, etc. but fridge is steady state to whatever you set it and burns the same amount of propane on that setting.

Not in regards to the fridge unless the newer models have an automatic flame adjustment. It would be applicable for heater usage, etc. but fridge is steady state to whatever you set it and burns the same amount of propane on that setting.

Over all gas usage, not the 3 way by itself- the heater eats up the propane!

Over all gas usage, not the 3 way by itself- the heater eats up the propane!

Yeah, you are right. What about the water heater? cycles on and off constantly.

:LOL:
Yep, I know but i had the same questions about 7 years ago when i bought my fwc, and i still am amazed how little propane i actually use on a trip and without doing some scientific study one can really never know how much each thing uses --again like everything else, experience tells you HOW to use each thing-heater, frig, hot water heater, or whatever to get the most out of your propane tank! Still, the heater without an arctic blanket, uses the most for me. I had a chance to test how much propane i used when the frigs' thermalcouple (sp) went out one summer and the frig went on solar (batt)and i didn't need the heater so i could only see the how much the water heater used-and except for the monring coffee, i didn't use the stove, so nothing much to test because i only lasted three days before i headed back to get the frig fixed. So spend the $ and buy a second tank like me, now i don't worry about propane!:LOL: Anyway, learning is part of having a fwc and if we survive the experience we win right?

Smoke

I dunno Smoke. I'm hoping my obit reads "was found sitting in a lawn chair outside his fwc". With a smile on his face :)

I have the Dometic RM2354, which is a 3 way. It is on a thermostat so the fridge cycles on and off. I did not realize that there were propane refrigerators that you could control the flame.

I turned on the camper fridge at 7am this morning in preparation for a few days in the mountains starting tomorrow. It is running on AC as I get ready to go. I have been adding my food and drinks. I try to put the drinks (well everything) in the house fridge to pre-cool before transferring them to the camper fridge The camper fridge is now stocked but has not cycled off all day. The camper fridge temp started rising instead of dropping at about 2:30 this afternoon when the outdoor temp here hit 95 degrees F. The outdoor temperature is down to the low 80s now and the refrigerator is now cooling down again. It might cycle off before midnight (10:30pm now). If I was using propane, I would be consuming much more on this hot day. I am looking forward to the cooler temperatures tomorrow at the higher elevation.

About two weeks back, I went camping when things were cooler and the temperature hit 38 degrees F the first night. Since the temperature sensor for the refrigerator thermostat in the fridge and not the freezer, the refrigerator did not turn on for a fair amount of time. And the freezer came up to about 32 degrees F. I had a slightly melted Popsicle or two. I also did not use much propane that night.

Steve

I dunno Smoke. I'm hoping my obit reads "was found sitting in a lawn chair outside his fwc". With a smile on his face :)

:LOL:Craig 333-Speaking of that, heading up to Janes Res. on the Modoc in a few hours, for a while, never been there, been near, then up to Oregon to explore the western Fremont NF and I've got 1 1/2 bottles of propane (don't plan to use the heater, so maybe a propane test too-so maybe no fill-up unless combined with a gas stop), lot's of water, vodka and beer, hopefully, they will not find me up there sitting in my new strong back chair, with my drink and a smile, but I can only think of one better way to go! PS-I've got my spot 2 with me, so they can rescue my dog "Bob" if I don't make it back in a week or so! Have fun

Smoke:LOL:

Well, the beer stayed cold all weekend and it did not blow out while on the highway. First propane fridge I've had and so far I love it! Does not appear to have used any considerable propane.

Back
Top Bottom