Propex Heatsource Furnace in pop up camper.

I continue to be amazed at how much factory built campers seem to waste space. I suppose to make building and maintenance of the camper easier? The much smaller propex heater ends up using a lot of space the way they routed those long intake/exhaust hoses.

The thru hull fittings are sweet looking. I do not understand the logic of putting the two pipes that close together when they've warned against that for the install, but hey, if that makes it easier for you to run the pipes, so be it.

I'd look at getting their muffler kit too, or at least buying the equivalent intake and exhaust mufflers online.

Don't have a pig in the party, just wanted to mention that whatever you put at the rear, intake , exhaust, it is in a negative air space and pulls in lots of dust.

goinoregon said:
since u use your camper in the cool months, i figure some thinking on it is ok. that said, u have managed for a lot of miles, with the stock atc version heater.
Greg, you are correct and your point is valid. We've made it work - gotten a more even temperature inside - with the use of the Wave 3 catalytic. It has been a love hate relationship. Early in the season we love it. As the season rolls on, the dislike grows. At the end of the season (or earlier like last week) we can't wait to pull it out and swear we need to find a better system. After a happy summer, with the memories distant, we put it back in in the fall.

So this could be more of a procrastination story. :)

Vic Harder said:
I continue to be amazed at how much factory built campers seem to waste space. I suppose to make building and maintenance of the camper easier? The much smaller propex heater ends up using a lot of space the way they routed those long intake/exhaust hoses.

The thru hull fittings are sweet looking. I do not understand the logic of putting the two pipes that close together when they've warned against that for the install, but hey, if that makes it easier for you to run the pipes, so be it.

I'd look at getting their muffler kit too, or at least buying the equivalent intake and exhaust mufflers online.
Vic, I too was surprised at the install in an FWC and the amount of space used. But, it was easy to install with lots of area to work in. :)

I spoke at length yesterday with Jacob at Van Cafe - the propex USA dealer. I ran all my questions by him and a possible install scenario. He thought my plan - including interior exhaust/inlet combustion pipes would be fine and work well. He also took the time to get some measurements for me. For answers to questions, etc., I really recommend speaking with Jacob.

Jacob mentioned that the new Propex digital thermostat/controller has a temperature differential of 3 degrees.

I asked - since Truma and Whale have developed more sophisticated variable fan speed furnaces - does Propex plan to redo/improve their furnaces? Has he heard any talk? No, but he hopes they do; it's almost necessary to keep up with the technology.

Also, when I asked about the Whale Heat Air, I got, "I love that furnace."

pvstoy said:
Don't have a pig in the party, just wanted to mention that whatever you put at the rear, intake , exhaust, it is in a negative air space and pulls in lots of dust.
Patrick, thanks for reminding me of this. I appreciate it. From personal experience with having a furnace in the lower rear corner of the camper (as in my photo) since 2009, I've not found the accumulating dust much of an issue, either with the Atwood's furnace function, or dust inside the bottom of the unit that is open to the outside.

But, it is another thing to keep in mind.

ski3pin said:
<snip>

But the thought keeps reoccurring to me, if I put in this work, should I go to a more advanced furnace like the Whale Heatair or the Truma Varioheat?

A lot to contemplate........
I continue to be haunted by that thought and as of this morning I am revisiting the possible install of a Truma Varioheat.

But I do appreciate it if others weigh in on their experience with a Propex in a pop up truck camper.

Although I MAY be going in another direction, I hope that this discussion will help others contemplating the install of a Propex furnace. Propex is highly regarded and is a very good furnace.

The MAY above reflects a day of phone calls and email exchanges. More to come.

ski3pin said:
Although I MAY be going in another direction, I hope that this discussion will help others contemplating the install of a Propex furnace. Propex is highly regarded and is a very good furnace.

The MAY above reflects a day of phone calls and email exchanges. More to come.
If you decide to go with the Propex I have a propex thru hull fitting you can have.

Ronin said:
If you decide to go with the Propex I have a propex thru hull fitting you can have.
Ronin, thanks, that is very thoughtful and appreciated! At this time I'm not going with a Propex.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom