Pulled the Trigger Yesterday

Exactly! I haven't yet gotten to tow a boat, but the acceleration is awesome. Everyone told me to get a diesel, and everyone was right! It occurred to me today that if I was getting work done on the truck, I could tow my car behind it, leave the truck behind and drive away...

I've been advised by Bryan that Happijack does not make a kit for the 2017 Super Duty., so Alaskan will not install tiedowns. I am guessing because of the new aluminum bed. He advised me to get Torklift tiedowns installed locally before going to pick up the camper. I am proceeding as instructed, but wanted to get the word out.

Those Aluminum beds are going to be the death of Ford Super Duty's.....I'm going to take a look at Dodge Eco diesels....

when my 7.3 wears out..... :D

not installing tiedowns may be related to liability issues....I wouldn't blame them at all....just be careful when you're tieing the camper down....wood frames don't take kindly to alot of excess pressure...and you can get a ton from torq lifts

Forgive my ignorance but what would be the difference between Happijac and Torklift tiedowns? Aren't they just 2 different companies making the same type of product or are they significantly different. I need to know as I am interested in a Ford truck and an Alaskan camper...

I would also. The stronger the thing I'm tying to the more secure my attachment...as long as I don't overtighten :) At least in theory :)

Happijacks forward tiedown is placed between the bed and the cab and bolted through the bed,,,,both tiedowns are tied together by a bar which runs inside the bed,,,,,attached to each bracket, inside the bed is an angle bracket which is bolted through the bed into the frame....the rears are attached to the bumper....with the newer bumpers their strength comes into question....an additional bar attaches to the back of each rear bumper button and attaches to the frame

Tork lifts are frame mounted through and through......your turnbuckles tie directly to the frame through extensions...front and back...a much more substantial tiedown

BUT.....what good is a tiedown which can for all intensive purposes....tear your camper apart

in the case of Alaskans.....your trying to be "snug" but not forceful...pine frames have a tendency to "move" where welded aluminum or steel frames hold their position....

I've had happijacks for about 15 years...still good...Happi with them

If I had a Lance or something like that....I'd get Tork lifts

Rusty,

Thanks for that info :) It sounds like HappiJac doesn't want to deal with the aluminum beds on the new Fords. Dissimilar metals is a bad thing and I am betting they are leery of lawsuits with the issues that could arise from that.

Don't Fastguns have a spring tension adjustment that could be set to give some for the Alaskan?

This issue is the main reason I have held off on buying a new truck because I really like the Ford but am afraid of bolting anything to the bed......

Maybe Alaskan is working on something....

I have the tork lift fast guns on my Silverado/North Star. They are a quality unit. The part you tie to, Is bolted to the frame, then the " fastgun" unit ties the camper to the tie down.
There is no spring tension, but they are super quick and easy to adjust. And they do need to be adjusted a bit every time u take the camper off. I believe that is the main benefit to them. They are quick to take on and off if you want to drop your camper and use the truck. I believe the " proper" way to adjust them is with just a tiny bit of tension in the closed position..
I am happy with them for now. I got them because they seemed to have the best ratings and were most recommended. And because I am new to the camper world.
I do believe eventually I will want the camper directly mounted to the frame with some kind of thru bolts, or, to be figured out, assembly. Don't think I will want to be taking the camper off and on, but one solid , rv, unit. That will make the sides of the truck " cleaner" and free up that space for some side boxes/ flat bed, type of unit. Just my 2 cents

the happijack turnbuckles have a "derringer" option available which makes them similar in action to the fastguns from Torklift. The happijac system does have a small bit of internal cushioning but it is easily damaged by overtightening. I set my turnbuckles snug but not torqed down...which they are capable of.

the main drawback of the happijack/aluminum bed is the tearing....the bolts for the happijack system are drilled through the bed and thread into the steel bracket on the opposite side but the thickness of the bed would possibly allow a tearing action in an accident...possibly releasing the camper....I'm betting Happijack will come up with an engineered solution

In the meantime....I get further and further away from new Ford trucks...sadly....our family has been a ford family for a very long time
The 6.0, 6.4, 6.7...musical chairs...ugh....I'm being swayed more to the Cummins side every day....

Thanks for the info, Canyon and AllanB! Very good to know. Hmm. I've also been delaying truck purchase as for other purposes the aluminum would probably suit me well and I wanted to see how it turned out. Have favored the Ford as I grew up w/a Dodge that was, er....dodgy ( terrible joke sorry )

Fyi going to the factory in mid April so feel free to punt some questions my way for that visit.

Hey everyone thanks for the discussion. I'm grateful for the information about not over-stressing the camper frame Rusty; I will be mindful. And thanks Moose Dog for keeping the discussion going.

Happyjax said:
Rusty,

Thanks for that info :) It sounds like HappiJac doesn't want to deal with the aluminum beds on the new Fords. Dissimilar metals is a bad thing and I am betting they are leery of lawsuits with the issues that could arise from that.

Don't Fastguns have a spring tension adjustment that could be set to give some for the Alaskan?

This issue is the main reason I have held off on buying a new truck because I really like the Ford but am afraid of bolting anything to the bed......

I would not be afraid of the aluminum body of the Ford pickups. I am an aircraft mechanic for my day job, and aircraft are held together with steel bolts holding aluminum structures, there can be dissimilar metals corrosion or "galvanic action" but with proper precautions, such as primer on any exposed metal before bolting, and cadmium plating on bolts, things will last a very long time with no issues. There are also corrosion preventative compounds that can be applied anywhere dissimilar metals make contact which will preclude any undue wear or corrosion before it occurs. As with all things man made, proper preparation and execution usually leads to a very long service life of whatever you are dealing with.

Congratulations on the truck and camper order!
You will be very happy with the Torklifts. Go on their website and you can see videos on how to properly tie them down (they don't need much force).
Be sure to post pics when you get It!

Thanks everybody! Torklift tiedowns installed successfully on the truck last weekend (thanks to people who know what they are doing...). They fit perfectly around my extended running boards. Now I just need a camper to tie down! :p

Happyjax said:
Rusty,

Jacki, Ford has said the same thing about attaching camper tie downs to their steel bed trucks as well. A big camper can generate a lot of force when you're rocking and rolling in rough terrain. For our hard side camper, we went with Tork Lift frame mounts. Much stronger. For an aluminum bed truck, mounts that use the bed to frame bolts should be plenty strong for a popup.

Canyon said:
Thanks everybody! Torklift tiedowns installed successfully on the truck last weekend (thanks to people who know what they are doing...). They fit perfectly around my extended running boards. Now I just need a camper to tie down! :p
How many days?

Back
Top Bottom