Quandary on rebuild

winter200

Advanced Member
I am in a quandary on my keystone/granby - Cougar rebuild. To catch up see here http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632

I bought an 08 and now after I had the base already rebuild and the camper sided it won't fit the new truck.

1st question - Do you guys see the value in the step design of the base. My thought was to build it up square at the 4 foot width and just attach the step up to the outside. That way if I do change pickups again I won't have to redo the base again. I think this option would only add a small amount of weight over the original step design. The only issue would be I wouldn't have the free and clear access that one has with the OEM step design.

2nd question - The older campers didn't have as much head clearance as the new ones do if I understand it right. I am 5'11" and fit ok but some of my taller friends that will hunt with me are over 6' and they will have to duck down. I didn't think I was going to replace the canvas so I just bought new lift panels. Now after I got the new panels in, I worked with the old canvas and decided to dump it and get new. When I had it rebuilt I had them add @ 3" to it so I could get better "overlap" for water protection. Now I have the option to add a little height to it but that would require another rebuild to the lift panels. What do you think, raise it up? Leave it as is and forget that I had the option now?

I have pretty much used the camper for a shelf in the garage over the summer but should get started rebuilding it again if its going to be ready for hunting season or next years camping season for that matter.

Quandry on charitable response to OP...

I am in a quandary on my keystone/granby - Cougar rebuild. I ... should get started rebuilding it again if its going to be ready for hunting season or next years camping season for that matter.

:eek: Ouch, Brother, this was a painful post to read!

I bought an 08 and now after I had the base already rebuild and the camper sided it won't fit the new truck.

That is why I was able to acquire my 2001 Hawk; the '08 Chev|GMC boxes were built narrower (again). There've been threads on the subject, but you must not've seen them. Sorry, man! :(

1st question - Do you guys see the value in the step design of the base. My thought was to build it up square at the 4 foot width and just attach the step up to the outside. That way if I do change pickups again I won't have to redo the base again. I think this option would only add a small amount of weight over the original step design. The only issue would be I wouldn't have the free and clear access that one has with the OEM step design.

Three things I see are:
A. You will lose some living space right were the couch would want to be.
B. More importantly, you will lose some stiffness from the box-i-ness of the stepped lower section. Whether this is critical or not, I cannot guess.
C. If you ever try to sell that ugly (no)step-child, you might pay a dearer cost than you saved by short-cutting those steps. Because...
Ripping, gluing and screwing plywood is simple compared with all the rest of it. (including backing under the camper!) I would go ahead and take the time to do it right the first time.

2nd question - The older campers didn't have as much head clearance as the new ones do if I understand it right. I am 5'11" and fit ok but some of my taller friends that will hunt with me are over 6' and they will have to duck down. I didn't think I was going to replace the canvas so I just bought new lift panels. Now after I got the new panels in, I worked with the old canvas and decided to dump it and get new. When I had it rebuilt I had them add @ 3" to it so I could get better "overlap" for water protection. Now I have the option to add a little height to it but that would require another rebuild to the lift panels. What do you think, raise it up? Leave it as is and forget that I had the option now?

I *believe* the added height is in the base, not in the fabric. Adding length to the lift panels will decrease their stiffness when they are extended. This might lead to catastrophe in windy conditions. I wouldn't do it, preferring to add the height in the base. This brings up another important question--

Say you decide not to add height to the base and then you try to fit this camper to another truck some day--

Will the base be tall enough to clear the box sides, or will you have to shim the camper up?

My best advice to you is this... Get yourself a comfortable chair, a pad and a pencil, and go sit with the camper and the truck. Act as if they can talk to you, and then listen carefully. Bon chance.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom