Qubelok or Connect-It connectors in USA

Boonie

Qubelok and Connect-It tube connectors for 1" square aluminum tube are an alternative way of building with aluminum, however, they are Australian products and I have not found and USA distributor. EZ Tube here in the US does make a similar product, but seem to be twice as expensive.

Does anyone have experience with these connectors and/or have a US source?

There are a bunch of companies that sell these.
80/20 has something called quick frame.
ESTO connectors has a version
KIPP has a version
and there are many more...

What do you plan on using these for? In my experience, these systems are more designed for things like trade show displays than for structural work. The only place I have used them is for making safety enclosures for lasers, for anything really structural we have always used t-slotted extrusions. The extrusions are much more rigid and the connectors are far stronger.

Thanks rando,

I went to the websites: 80/20 seems to have the tubes but not the connectors; ESTO has similar to what I am looking for and had pricing similar to Australian; Kipp also has product, but I could not find pricing. Maybe you could give me more of the others.

As to my usage, I was looking at using them for cabinets similar to modular cabinet kits I have seen for race car and horse trailers. However, my build has nothing that falls into the category of modular. Obviously these connectors work great in compression, but have no value in tension. Connect-It uses a setting tool to "dimple" the tube into their connector, not great for tension, but maybe effective for vibration separation.

I estimate that a 1/2" Birch plywood cabinet frame would weigh about 50lbs (without doors and top) where an aluminum frame about 10lbs. I would have two of these cabinets so 80lbs saved.

I have to admit that I have not looked at the 80/20 system. Their T-slot extrusions and connectors just look expensive and overkill for my application.

Boonie

Those might make a good frame and the plywood provide the skin to hold it together. Wonder if you could use 1/4" ply and still have enough strength to hold it together through the vibration

These would probably work OK for light weight cabinetry. With the flanged tube it would be easy to add thin panels, which would also provide some rigidity and keep everything square. With most of these, I don't see why you couldn't add either a screw or rivet the connectors to provide more resistance to pull out.

80/20 does have the connectors: https://8020.net/fasteningmethods/quickframeconnectors.html
KIPP will provide pricing, but you have to make an account. Most of the folks who sell this sort of stuff are more geared for b2b sales than retail sales.

I did anticipate the top and end panels being attached such that they would add rigidity to the whole cabinet. Sheet aluminum could be riveted directly to the tubes for the end cap, but I think the use of 1/4 plywood would help reduce the "tinnyness". Also, I agree that if needed a screw could be added at the connection points to resist pull-out.

I watched a You Tube clip from SE Asia of a tradesman making aluminum cabinets using a 3/4" L-bracket attached at the joint site then the perpendicular member slipped over that and attached with a screw into the now invisible L-bracket. Time intensive, but saves the hassle of the expensive fittings. I have also watched a couple of Aussie clips using the Qubelok fittings. Seems much easier and quicker and very doable.

OOPS. Sorry rando, my search for the fittings on 80/20 was obviously a failure. I thought it strange since they carried the tube.

Boonie

Boonie said:
Thanks rando,

I went to the websites: 80/20 seems to have the tubes but not the connectors; ESTO has similar to what I am looking for and had pricing similar to Australian; Kipp also has product, but I could not find pricing. Maybe you could give me more of the others.

As to my usage, I was looking at using them for cabinets similar to modular cabinet kits I have seen for race car and horse trailers. However, my build has nothing that falls into the category of modular. Obviously these connectors work great in compression, but have no value in tension. Connect-It uses a setting tool to "dimple" the tube into their connector, not great for tension, but maybe effective for vibration separation.

I estimate that a 1/2" Birch plywood cabinet frame would weigh about 50lbs (without doors and top) where an aluminum frame about 10lbs. I would have two of these cabinets so 80lbs saved.

I have to admit that I have not looked at the 80/20 system. Their T-slot extrusions and connectors just look expensive and overkill for my application.

Boonie
have you considered "frameless" cabinets? That's what I did, so all the wood is both a useful divider and a structural member.

Vic,

Because utilization of all available space in a way that I need it is one of my primary objectives, I am aware that my first attempt at shelves and dividers may not fit my ultimate goal, therefore, flexibility should also be a design consideration. In each of the 4' cabinets, one side housing the refrigerator and one side housing sink and 6 gal grey water tank, there is a 2'x2'x10" space that is "configurable". In that space I was thinking of making a plywood "frameless" insert of shelves and dividers, which would attach to the aluminum frame and therefore become structural. Then rather than changing the entire cabinet to modify for storage needs, I can change the insert.

Boonie

My wife has suggested making the insert a caddy that she could stock in the house and then put it directly into the cabinet without the typical loading, lugging, and unloading, then the reverse when the trip is over...… Sounds like a new topic.

Boonie

Something like this DIY made out of 6mm corrugated plastic.

Camp Kitchen resize.jpg

I'll continue this on my build post when I get to building it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom