Question about Canyonlands Nat'l Park

hamm

Has anyone ever driven down the Flint Trail into the Maze district of Canyonlands National Park? I'm curious if a Dodge shortbed with FWC would make the trip. Thanks for any input.

I too will also be interested in the answer to your question because I want to go through the same area with a vehicle similar to yours.

Have you ever driven over the White Rim Trail? In dry weather, most of it could be done with 2WD. For example, I believe a 2WD truck could go down the Shafer Trail and out by the Potash road. However, one would need 4WD to go up Shafer. Four wheel drive is needed for Lanthrop Canyon Road, Murphy Hogback and one or two other places.

The point is, 4WD is needed to pass certain places, IN DRY WEATHER. I can hardly imagine those trails in wet weather or snow. Thus, I would recommend 4WD with chains available if you anticipate rain or snow. If one happens to get caught by weather, be prepared to camp until things improve, which might take a couple of days.

The Maze if very remote. I have been to the Doll's House by river and have boated on all sections of the river, which requires driving over many miles of empty country to reach launch ramps. I would recommend traveling with more than one vehicle in areas west of the river. I would take extra water and fuel, have the tools and ability to repair my vehicle. CB radio is fairly common for emergency use in the West.

Park rangers told me the Maze is no more difficult than any other parts of Canyonlands. However, it is remote and it complicates the park ranger's lives when people disappear into the Maze.

Virtually anyone can rent a jeep in Moab and drive into these areas with no notice to the park rangers. When you are driving on remote trails you will see people with no equipment whatsoever, maybe 6 people in one jeep and driving as fast as they can go, from Moab to the Maze and back before their one day agreement runs out. They go with no water, no hats, and no sun screen. They do things with vehicles that are amazing for two reasons, 1) because they live, and 2) because they never know how close to death they came.

The fact that you are asking, suggests that you will have no trouble. Let us see what our experienced members say. John D

Maze District

Has anyone ever driven down the Flint Trail into the Maze district of Canyonlands National Park? I'm curious if a Dodge shortbed with FWC would make the trip. Thanks for any input.

Hamm - We have been to the Maze District four times over the past 25 years, twice in an 83 Jeep Scrambler, once inan 88 Toyota regular cab short bed 4x4 pu and once in an 05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. All that John D. says is true. After reading you question, I got together with my wife and here are some of our thoughts:

(bear in mind that this country can change dramatically from year to year and season to seson and the last time we were there was summer 2005)

You said that you drive a short bed Dodge; is it regular cab, extended cab or crew cab? This could make a difference. If my memory serves me, the rangers use full sized regular cab long bed trucks. The Flint Trail itself should give you little problem, but some of the trails that lead to the various destinations in the Maze, such as Maze Overlook or the Doll House, can be more challenging (IMO, considerably more challenging that the White Rim Trail).

Be sure to bring more water than you think you'll need. Also, gas (diesel) is a consideration. In 05 we had a close call gas-wise (my fault fot not bringing extra fuel). It is about 25 miles from Hanksville (closest gas) to the Maze entrance road (near Robber's Roost), then about 45 miles of dirt road to the ranger station at Hans Flat. Be sure to check in there so they know that you are in the back country (when we were last there, the ranger said the we were the only ones in the District at the time). From Hans Flat it is another 10 or 12 miles to the top of the Flint Trail. For safety sake, round this up to 100 miles. That's 200 miles to get in and out of the District. From that point on you will be in four wheel high or low range for most of your time in the Maze, so fuel milage will be diminished. Figure out your fuel range, subtract 200, and that will dictate how much rambling you can do once you are at the bottom of the Flint Trail. We had always wanted to go to Queen Anne Bottom (about 50 miles from bottom of Flint Trail) in the far northern portion of the District because the trail actually leads down to the Green River, so in 05 we went in the way I just described, went to QAB and then exited at the southern end of the Park, where the trail ends at Hite Marina (far northern Lake Powell). The range on a Wrangler is not very good and we were really sweating it (the yellow "low fuel" light was on for what seemed like forever). Again, my fault. I had calculated all this before the trip and "intellectually" felt confident that I had the range, but that intellectual knowledge is of little comfort when you are out on the trail and running on fumes. We actually were very fortunate because years of drought had closed the Hite Marina (where we had often gassed in the past), however, the small store and gas station were still open. Had they not been, we would not have had enough gas to make it to Hanksville.

Another thing to consider, we have been to Canyonlands National Park many times over the years and because of my job, we always have to go in the summer or around the Christmas holidays. It can get VERY hot (100+ dgrees) in the summer. Spring or fall would likely be far better times to visit, however, I hear that the Park is considerably more crowded in those seasons.

Another idea would be to call Park headquarters in Moab (phone number on web site) and they will give you the phone number at the Hans Flat Ranger Station. Call them directly and ask their thoughts on taking your rig into the Maze. Sorry that this was such a long post, but I hope it was helpful.

You make a very good point about fuel mileage offroad. My Jeep can get 20mpg on the highway and as little as 2mpg doing hardcore rockcrawling. Play it safe.

Thanks a bunch for the replies. My rig is a quad cab short bed (not mega-cab). I've been from Potash road up the Shafer trail with no problems at all. The pictures I've seen of the Flint trail make the switchbacks look a lot sharper than Shafer's. My main concerns are safety and not destroying my vehicle. I can always go back next year and take my Toyota LandCruiser when I get it a little more reliable. I'm aware of the situation that you're in when it rains as I had to cancel a trip to the Maze many years ago in my wife's old Wrangler when a spring rainstorm came in.

I guess that what I'm saying is if I think that I can get down and back in good weather without destroying my vehicle and endangering my family then I'll give it a go. Otherwise, there are plenty of other things to see in the area. Thanks again for the replies.

Canyonlands

Canyonlands NP requires backcountry permits for all overnight stays within the park. They can be reserved online. You might want to check out the website as there are restrictions and equipment requirements.

In my opinion you are better off going in the Flint from the South to get to the Maze. There is also the option of exiting via the Poison Spider road, but you must cross the Dirty Devil river and the Poison Spider road can be pretty bad after you cross the river. Crossing the Dirty Devil may not be possible in high water in the spring. Last time I was over that way the gas station at Hite was closed so plan ahead. The park should know the current status.
Have fun.
Dsrtrat

Back
Top Bottom